XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Adamesh LED Conversion Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adamesh LED Conversion Kit

So I bought this thing $1300, and got it installed in my 2007 xk. It's not difficult to install if you can navigate a socket set and wire the relays. My problem was one of the wiring looms the tail lights plug into was faulty. Geoff responded very quickly to my emails and sent a replacement via airmail which took a week.

In the meantime driving around with two brake lights I've discovered a problem with the kit here in the US.

First of all the kit relies on an old-fashioned filament light bulbs to get around the bulb fail message in the dash. In the first week I've lost two of the supplied bulbs. One burned out and one had the filament break. The bulbs used are a European bulb se12v C21W which aren't sold in the States. The US equivalent is a Sylvania 6411 which fits and lights up but gives a bulb fail message in the dash.

Don't get me wrong the LED lights look great but no readily available working replacement for the bulbs is a problem, not to mention knowing those light boxes are in the boot makes it feel jury-rigged.

Anyone know of another replacement bulb that doesn't give the warning in the dash?

Old 05-25-2012, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

You might be able to replace the bulbs with resistors. You could try and find out the resistance/specs of the Euro bulbs and put resistors in their place.

This may eliminate having to mess with the bulbs altogether.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,133 Likes on 3,380 Posts
Default Adamesh Installation Instructions

Tanonian, thanks for the post. I am also considering the LED taillights, and am concerned about the bulb failure message. So I wrote to Adamesh, and here's what Geoff said on May 7, 2012:
"We have sold a number of the kits now without any problem at all. I personally fitted one set onto my XKR last year and then the following weekend fitted 3 further sets to some of my friends all with XKR's.

On the first few kits we fitted the cars with resistors which prevented the bulb failure lights coming on however since we did the new conversion loom we have done away with the resistors as they can be problematic when fitting, get hot and are difficult to determine if they are faulty if you get the bulb failure message etc. We now supply small light units with do the job of the resistors which are concealed behind the trim in the boot.

We have sold some of the kits to the USA without any problems as the light functions etc should be the same as the UK."
Obviously, Geoff was mistaken. It appears that the bulbs also get too hot and burn out, just like the resistors. I'm going to wait to do this conversion until after this is issue is remedied.

Geoff also provided me with the installation instructions, which I thought would be of interest. I tried to upload that file into this post, but kept getting a failure message. If you want a copy, send me a PM and I'll email that .pdf file to you.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 05-25-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

You should be able to get heavy duty insulated resistors, and they aren't that expensive.

If this setup is burning out resistors I'd be concerned about other issues. Again, heavy duty insulated resistors should fix this issue. And checking a resistor for fault is *very* easy. It only requires a $3 meter.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:20 AM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Good luck with getting the LEDs to work. It is a little funny how those European vendors claim that they "..sold 10 sets just last week..." and that they "..installed a pair just yesterday, and they worked--and even turned the car into a beautiful unicorn!..", etc. I had the unfortunate displeasure of sinking over $2,000 into my LEDs, because I didn't see the Adamesh kit when I picked mine up from Hermann Jag. I had them in for over a month, and I'm still waiting for Hermann to come up with a solution for the bulb-failure warning on the turn indicators. I'm now waiting for him to return from his vacation in Spain! Yeah... My set has some pretty serious resistors, and is very-well assembled, but the turn signals throw a warning--though, not all the time. I've tried to figure out the variables, but they seem to have a mind of their own. I would simply send them back, but I gave my OEM lights away... because I'm a straight clowner.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if anyone gets the even-more-pricey set from Arden. I'll bet they "..sold 200 set to US customer week of last...".

Good luck!

-e

Old 05-26-2012, 11:05 AM

I'd like to say I figured this out on my own....

ohms law 21 watts, 12volts p= v^2/r blah blah blah

6.8 ohms blah blah blah

just go to amazon, $1.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0077C...8048207&sr=8-1

Old 03-15-2013, 11:11 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Does it still work?

Did your new resistor solution work? I'm thinking of getting the Adamesh dual taillights.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I had the same problem with mine, the bulbs that come with them Adamesh seem very cheap, I replaced all of mine with better quality bulbs and had no problem since.

Also I put a layer of foam for the lights to sit on to save them bumping around and into each other while the car is moving. I have a feeling the original cheap bulbs blew easily due to having cheap flimsy filaments.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by johnnnnnnyy
I had the same problem with mine, the bulbs that come with them Adamesh seem very cheap, I replaced all of mine with better quality bulbs and had no problem since.

Also I put a layer of foam for the lights to sit on to save them bumping around and into each other while the car is moving. I have a feeling the original cheap bulbs blew easily due to having cheap flimsy filaments.
Tanoanian explained in Post #1 that these European bulbs are not sold in the USA. Please let us know the details of your replacement bulbs, namely, the brand, model or part number, and if you can recommend a seller in the UK from whom to order. Thanks.

Stuart

Old 03-15-2013, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Tanoanian explained in Post #1 that these European bulbs are not sold in the USA. Please let us know the details of your replacement bulbs, namely, the brand, model or part number, and if you can recommend a seller in the UK from whom to order. Thanks.

Stuart
I bought mine off the shelf from the UK's biggest auto store, so not sure they will ship to the US?
The bulb model number is '273' Exterior/interior bulb.
I'm 100% you'll find this in the US, I recognise the size on an old Chevrolet Van I imported into the UK many years ago. It's the interior light bulb.

Here's the link to the one I bought in the UK:
Halfords | Bosch (273) Interior & Number Plate Bulb x 1

Last edited by johnnnnnnyy; 03-16-2013 at 03:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (03-16-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 09:17 AM

My problem with the Adamesh kit turned out to be a bit more than the light bulbs burning out. The way the instructions call for grounding the passenger side light box was interfering with the operation of the convertible top. It started with a hood not latched message coming up every so often in the dash but ultimately prevented the top from functioning. The dealer removed the light boxes and the top immediately started working again.

I ended up cutting the light boxes out and using resistors on a printed circuit board mounted in a metal protobox in the boot. The problem is I would still occasionally get the bulb failure message so I added a 12 volt 3 prong voltage regulator to each resistor part #NTE1936 and the output capacitor to each resistor.

I grounded the entire thing to the chassis on the driver side and haven't had a problem since.

Stuart S (03-16-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tanoanian
My problem with the Adamesh kit turned out to be a bit more than the light bulbs burning out. The way the instructions call for grounding the passenger side light box was interfering with the operation of the convertible top. It started with a hood not latched message coming up every so often in the dash but ultimately prevented the top from functioning. The dealer removed the light boxes and the top immediately started working again.

I ended up cutting the light boxes out and using resistors on a printed circuit board mounted in a metal protobox in the boot. The problem is I would still occasionally get the bulb failure message so I added a 12 volt 3 prong voltage regulator to each resistor part #NTE1936 and the output capacitor to each resistor.

I grounded the entire thing to the chassis on the driver side and haven't had a problem since.
Tanoanian,

I, too, have a convertible and I really appreciate your input. Until now, no one else has mentioned this problem with the convertible top. I'm glad that you were able to figure out how to get everything to work properly. But your experience caused me to have second thoughts about buying the Adamesh kit now. Sure, I love the look of the LED tail lights, but I really don't need the aggravation.

I've been corresponding with Geoff at Adamesh and will let him know of your experience and my concerns with their kit. Hopefully, they will make the necessary modifications to their wiring harness, as you have done, so it works with USA model convertibles without any problems. When Adamesh does so, I'll reconsider buying their kit.

Adamesh - if you read this, please let this forum know your plans.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 03-16-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Default Adamesh LED Kit Fire Hazard?

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Tanoanian,
...your experience caused me to have second thoughts about buying the Adamesh kit ... I've been corresponding with Geoff at Adamesh and will let him know of your experience and my concerns with their kit...
Stuart
I emailed Geoff 11 days ago and haven't received a reply from him, so it appears unlikely that he will do so. I want to make everyone aware of another problem with the Adamesh LED conversion kit that was recently reported on JaguarForums.UK.

On March 22, 2013, Geoffreyf reported a significant potential fire hazard issue with the Adamesh LED conversion kit on JaguarForums.UK. It appears that the incandescent bulbs in the Adamesh modified wire harness can cause the plastic bulb housing to overheat and melt. See this link: LED Rear Lights - Page 3 and posts ##24 and thereafter. I was very impressed with Geoffreyf's qualifications and testing procedure. (Post #28).

I'm curious - I doubt that Tanoanian is the only US owner who has installed the Adamesh LED conversion kit in their pre-2010 X150 coupe or convertible. If anyone else has the Adamesh LED kit in their car, please let us know your experience - good or bad.

I'd like to get the LED tail lights, but I don't want to buy a can of worms from Adamesh. So for now, I'll be content with the original tail lights.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 03-28-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:27 PM

Guys, I thought I better reach out to Adamesh (Geoff) who's been fantastic (replying promptly to my emails) to make him aware of Godfrey's discovery. He's not a member on this forum, so I said I'd post his reply........

I have since tested a new replacement light this afternoon since your email which is a genuine Jaguar/Land Rover part which we sell for another application.I had this on for 25+ minutes without problem, yes it got warm however do not imagine any one will sit with a foot on the brake for 25+ minutes. I will order a number in next week and get replacements sent out to you and other customers. This is an OE part which is designed for a brake and indicator and I have not seen any on cars melted.

I very much doubt the light currently fitted will cause a problem however best to be on the safe side.

Stuart S (03-28-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Default Reply via Geoff

Hey Guys I just happened to be emailing Geoff today about shipping my tail lights and alerted him of the issues discussed in this post. Here is his reply (to Stuart S):

Hi Stuart.
Thanks for the email and sorry for the delay getting back to you. I sent off a couple of emails to existing customers who have had the lights fitted in convertibles to see if they had experienced any of the problems you mentioned. None reported back the problem regarding the hood latch not working correctly. I have also spoken to our local Jaguar garage regarding the problem to see if they had any suggestions and again they confirmed the module for the roof is located on that side a simple earth connection should not cause any problems. Not sure if the person who had the problem was earthing to the same point on the car as the module or not.

We can lengthen the earth cables on the loom if required so they can reach the other side of the car so hopefully this would rectify the problem. It is difficult to try and come up with a fix when we have not experienced the problem first hand. We have now sold around 70 kits and this is the first occasion we have heard of this problem.

We have experienced some of the bulbs blowing which is why we provide spare bulbs in the kit. Fully take on board this feedback so will look at upgrading the bulbs mentioned on the forum.

Best Regards

Geoff

The following 2 users liked this post by brucebaner1:
djgold (03-28-2013), Stuart S (03-28-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates about the bulbs Im looking to buy a set for a 07 xkr USA spec. $800 dollars for the adamesh set right, I think it was on their website for $699 Euros.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:46 AM

Bump. Interested to hear how this worked our for everyone. Very interested in this mod.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:14 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Bump again, any updates on this? Thanks!

Old 08-18-2013, 11:15 AM

I would suggest contacting Geoff directly; he actively responds to email. I'll try and remember to post his email when I get to work on Monday if you can't find his email.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:10 AM

I realize that this an old thread....but hope somebody could help.
I did buy the Adamesh LED Conversion kit about 4 years ago...it looks great, but I always had the warning blinker message in the dashboard.
Geoff was helpful however the issue was never resolved.
It is very frustrating and going crazy....I am now retaking the problem for a solution.
I have a 2007 Jaguar XK "Convertible".
I am willing to try anything...so any suggestions are welcome.
Somebody mentioned about changing for better quality incandescent light bulbs (perhaps greater Ohms light bulbs). I would appreciate recommendation of light bulb brand and specs (model).
Also it was mentioned about swapping incandescent light bulbs for resistors. What type of resistors do you recomend?
Should I keed the incandescent light bulbs and add additional resistors.
Thank you All

Quick Reply: Adamesh LED Conversion Kit