Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

All Aluminium Radiators?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts
Default All Aluminium Radiators?

Searched, but no give. I have a 2007 base model, Im gearing up to replace the raditor in a couple of months. I discovered a micro leak where the plastic meets metal. So Im wondering if anyone here has replaced the oem with a custom all aluminium piece.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member

I managed to find a builder that can make a radiator for my XK, but the question about transmission cooler came up, and Im wondering if any of you have any input in this.
One of the options is, to gut my oem radiator and use the stock cooler, but Im curious about external coolers and if this would be a better option on my base 2007 x150. Ideas are all welcomed!

Old 01-13-2019, 01:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Interesting question, hope someone has experience there.
I would think a radiator shop would have no problem building a Trans cooler into a radiator these days. Its pretty common, and parts to do so should exist? Of note, if I were to have a custom built unit, I would do some serious measurements and see if there is room for an additional core on the front side.

Vince

Old 01-13-2019, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewtech
Searched, but no give. I have a 2007 base model, Im gearing up to replace the raditor in a couple of months. I discovered a micro leak where the plastic meets metal. So Im wondering if anyone here has replaced the oem with a custom all aluminium piece.
I've had both brass and aluminium radiators built for the various engine conversions I've done. Most shops can build anything that you want but I wouldn't believe there is anything special about the XK unit. Also my bet is they can fix the one you have . The easiest thing to do with most builders is to bring them the original unit and have them replicate it. As for the trans cooler I would believe it would be better to have it built in and the same size/volume as OEM. You may not have enough room for an external mount and it may interfere with the AC condenser.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:11 AM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I've had both brass and aluminium radiators built for the various engine conversions I've done. Most shops can build anything that you want but I wouldn't believe there is anything special about the XK unit. Also my bet is they can fix the one you have . The easiest thing to do with most builders is to bring them the original unit and have them replicate it. As for the trans cooler I would believe it would be better to have it built in and the same size/volume as OEM. You may not have enough room for an external mount and it may interfere with the AC condenser.
I agree with JT, you will be better served to stick with the JLR design. These cars do not like to be under or over cooled and will throw DTC's in either case.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JackJohn
I agree with JT, you will be better served to stick with the JLR design. These cars do not like to be under or over cooled and will throw DTC's in either case.
I agree that I should stick to the oem design. So I will have the radiator made and use the stock trans cooler within the newly built unit. My goal is to rid myself of a plastic topped radiator.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by JackJohn
No such thing as an 'over cooled' engine. Not now, not ever... Engineers can only dream of such a possibility. All police vehicles in the U.S. use oversized radiators and have for 30+ years. That's why they can sustain high speeds for significantly longer than any base OEM.

As I said, measurements would be everything. If it is impractical, so be it, but I wouldn't miss the opportunity to upgrade it it could be done.

Vince

Old 01-15-2019, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,151 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
No such thing as an 'over cooled' engine. Not now, not ever... Engineers can only dream of such a possibility. All police vehicles in the U.S. use oversized radiators and have for 30+ years. That's why they can sustain high speeds for significantly longer than any base OEM.

As I said, measurements would be everything. If it is impractical, so be it, but I wouldn't miss the opportunity to upgrade it it could be done.

Vince
By saying "Over Cooled" I think he meant "Not within operating temperature" which would indeed throw codes. Coolant temps lower than expected (or 'optimum') is not a good thing. That's like removing the thermostat... it would probably never get the coolant up to operating temperature. Therefore codes.

Clever, I agree that Improved Cooling Capacity is a good thing. That would also include a properly operating thermostat.

JackJohn (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewtech
My goal is to rid myself of a plastic topped radiator.
Keep in mind that the plastic does serve a purpose.
Heat is forced to travel to the fins where there is air circulation.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I'd just fix it or replace with OEM and move on. There will be plenty of other items to spend money on now or later with the car.

Prange (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

What keeps me trucking forward with all aluminium is that I can have it made for less than an oem. Original dimensions is probably best for me on this first try. I still think plastic is a cost effective way to mass produce 10s of 1000s of units to meet manufacturer demands. They have a lifespan, that doesnt meet my expectations for a car that I drive a lot in extreme temps 6-7 months of the year.

Cee Jay (01-15-2019)