Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Alloy wheel Silver Touch Up paint arrived today (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/alloy-wheel-silver-touch-up-paint-arrived-today-170149/)

michaelodonnell123 09-29-2016 03:27 PM

Alloy wheel Silver Touch Up paint arrived today

3 Attachment(s)
Just bought this from Terry's Jaguar - matches perfect on my rim. I will be doing a wash, and touch up this weekend.

richzak 02-23-2017 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jaguar produced many variations of wheels for the XK/XKR. Not all were the silver painted wheels as shown above. Some had painted spokes as seen on the 2009 Jaguar XKR's with the Selena wheels. There was a chrome piece on the wheels as well as paint that came close to matching the body color.

If any part of your jaguar wheel was painted, you would need the proper paint code other than the silver mentioned above.

Click the image to enlarge.

mikefarnham 02-24-2017 03:24 AM

Most, probably all, wheels are produced by a number of European manufacturers who use a surprisingly wide variety of colours and finishes. As a rule, they do not publish their formulae/paint codes. Wheel refurbishers and paint suppliers on the internet have some very close matches! I have received useful advice on a number of occasions from www.alloypaints.com with whom I have no association, usually through eBay's ask a question service responding to their: Alloy wheel paint aerosol pick your own colour 400 ml
listing.

I have successfully refurbished quite a number of our own Jaguar wheels and am happy to tell you what paint I used if you let me know your wheel name. I can probably identify it if you do not know and attach a picture.

Mike.

kj07xk 02-24-2017 06:24 AM

I'll jump in. I have both:
Carelia
Senta
wheels. Which I think are the same color, although I had the Sentas refinished a few months ago, so I can't be sure.

mikefarnham 02-24-2017 11:27 AM

I have had both these but not refurbed them.
Have a look at them in the sun. If there is a noticeable medium sparkle in them go for Silver Dollar from Wheel Paints. I appreciate this may be difficult in The States but you can probably get something similar. I use Simoniz wheel silver as a base for all wheels with nothing more sparkly over the top for wheels with only small flake giving a slight sparkle and that might be fine for your Carelias. I have no spray gear and get pretty good results. Most wheels only need curbing attending to filling with Holts putty, sanding and spraying the circumference having elevated a card circle, with a diameter about 2cm less than the wheel, about 5mm above the rim to allow the silver to feather in. Best to spray the lacquer on a warm day and dry in your X Type Estate in the sun! See also my post about fake wheel bolts although I believe those on the Senta screw out.

Hope this helps.

Mike.

Sean W 02-24-2017 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 (Post 1543634)
Just bought this from Terry's Jaguar - matches perfect on my rim. I will be doing a wash, and touch up this weekend.

Michael, I know this post was from last Autumn, but wondering about the results and what you were touching up.

was it curb rash or a few scratches?

Paint, like anything comes in lots so I was wondering how it matched/ blended.

Local vendor here charges $155 a wheel and they remove the tire. The car I bought came with some curb rash and I hate body work (sanding). I'd like to understand the effort you made before deciding how I move forward.

Time isn't money to me as I'm retired so I'm not including my hours as cost.

So if you don't mind, what did you repair and how'd it turn out?

Thanks in advance.

tampamark 02-25-2017 09:05 AM

I have mine done by the dealer, so far 4 rims have had curb rash fixed and repainted. I bought an IAS wheel package that includes this service at no charge and my dealer cost is $130 (same as IAS pays, they sold me the wheel package). The vendor they use does not take off the tire.

ralphwg 10-03-2017 07:23 PM

I have polished 20" Orona wheels which suffer from road rash. does anybody have a suggestion for a cure? Thanks in advance.

Queen and Country 10-04-2017 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by ralphwg (Post 1770041)
I have polished 20" Orona wheels which suffer from road rash. does anybody have a suggestion for a cure? Thanks in advance.

If in the polished area, then, sand and clearcoat. (use 2k clear)
If in painted area as well, then find matching paint.

Sean W 10-04-2017 05:13 PM

So where might one find the paint codes for the wheels as Richard suggests. I have the Carelia's.

Kaboom 07-06-2019 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by mikefarnham (Post 1627058)
Most, probably all, wheels are produced by a number of European manufacturers who use a surprisingly wide variety of colours and finishes. As a rule, they do not publish their formulae/paint codes. Wheel refurbishers and paint suppliers on the internet have some very close matches! I have received useful advice on a number of occasions from www.alloypaints.com with whom I have no association, usually through eBay's ask a question service responding to their: Alloy wheel paint aerosol pick your own colour 400 ml
listing.

I have successfully refurbished quite a number of our own Jaguar wheels and am happy to tell you what paint I used if you let me know your wheel name. I can probably identify it if you do not know and attach a picture.

Mike.

Greetings Mike,
Old post I realize, but wanted to ask suggestion for paint to refinish Jaguar polaris wheel?
19" wheel, from 2009 XJ8 L (X358).
Thank you.
-Kaboom

mikefarnham 07-07-2019 03:41 AM

Would be really helpful if you could look at the rear and tell me the manufacturer whose name will usually be there as well as Jaguar.
A close up of the paint, in the sun, showing the size of metal flake sparkle will also assist.
Best wishes,
Mike.

Kaboom 07-07-2019 12:49 PM

Alloy wheel paint

Okay Mike. I will have a look at the spare in the trunk in the next week or two for information. Thanks much.

mikefarnham 07-08-2019 04:19 AM

Yes, get back to me have copied this from above to ensure you have seen it. Have a look at them in the sun. If there is a noticeable medium sparkle in them go for Silver Dollar from Wheel Paints (on ebay)www.alloypaints.com with whom I have no association, usually through eBay's ask a question service responding to their: Alloy wheel paint aerosol pick your own colour 400 ml
listing. I appreciate this may be difficult in The States but you can probably get something similar. I use Simoniz wheel silver as a base for all wheels with nothing more sparkly over the top for wheels with only small flake giving a slight sparkle and that might be fine for yours. I have no spray gear and get pretty good results. Most wheels only need curbing attending to filling with Holts putty (fine filler self curing), sanding and spraying the circumference having elevated a card circle, with a diameter about 2cm less than the wheel, about 5mm above the rim to allow the silver to feather in. Best to spray the lacquer on a warm day and dry in your X Type Estate in the sun!

Daneel227 07-08-2019 04:26 PM

C2A1237

I purchased the alloy wheel silver touch-up paint pencil (5173) with the companion clear lacquer from my dealership (after they first verified the vehicle; it was the last set they had in stock); C2A1237; I just posted a thread inquiring if anyone had used the product and what was their impression with the results.

mikefarnham 07-09-2019 03:44 AM

See first post but also my comments above. Touch up pens usually leave blobs so it is better to fill and spray the affected area in my opinion. This will feather in well to the rest of the wheel if you are careful and produce good results. Good luck whichever way you choose.

Mike.