Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Aluminium Key Blanks (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/aluminium-key-blanks-195367/)

XK Steve 01-17-2018 01:41 AM

Aluminium Key Blanks

Hi Guys
Anyone know wher I can get hold of the aluminium key blank that clips into the remote? I have three remotes and only one key. (They all work, too!)

Cambo 01-17-2018 01:45 AM

eBay

Stuart S 01-17-2018 08:31 AM

Emergency aluminum key blades on eBay are inexpensive Chinese copies. Fortunately, you have an OEM blade so you can make sure that the shape of the blank is exactly the same as the OEM blade so it fits properly in the fob. The big expense is having that blank laser cut on both sides by a locksmith. Because the blanks are so cheap, I'd buy one or two extras in case the locksmith buggers one and it doesn't work.

Just my advice based on my experience.

CleverName 01-17-2018 11:59 AM

The first locksmith I went to said he couldnt do it. The second wanted $45!
Turns out my local hardware store (with key cutting kiosk) did it of $5 US!

XK Steve 01-17-2018 06:01 PM

I took two of the Ebay chinese aluminium (???) blanks to the locksmith who tried to cut them after he verified the code for the original. The key basically melted - probably made out of the same material that is being used for architectural facings on buildings and responsible for many fires around the world including here in Melbourne. Only thing he could do was use a Ford blank which works, but won't fit the fob of course. Laser cutting a new blank seems OK but how do you put in the notch for the clip? The 44.00 charge is confirmed by the way!! The car came with three fobs but only one key.

CleverName 01-17-2018 11:00 PM

There was no 'laser' cut at the hardware store. It was a simple grind process.

V

davchr 01-18-2018 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by CleverName (Post 1827139)
There was no 'laser' cut at the hardware store. It was a simple grind process.

V

I doubt anybody is using a laser to cut the keys. They may use a laser to trace the cutting path from the original but not cut the key. If the key "melted" my guess is the cutter was dull and smeared the soft aluminum instead of cutting it.

Cee Jay 01-18-2018 11:26 AM

Since most keys are brass, I'm pretty sure most cutting machines have parameters for that, cutter speed and grind grit/TPI. Cutting alumin(i)um needs slower speeds and less 'cut'. The guy who cut my (now lost) key mucked up HIS machine also, therefore wouldn't cut the second. Now I have zero, key-code-in-hand (which doesn't reference now), and zero keys.

CleverName 01-18-2018 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by davchr (Post 1827279)
I doubt anybody is using a laser to cut the keys. They may use a laser to trace the cutting path from the original but not cut the key. If the key "melted" my guess is the cutter was dull and smeared the soft aluminum instead of cutting it.

OK... It had me pretty confused...

I know the one ACE hardware used was a simple side by side trace cutter. It was new equipment to them at the time, but again, it had no problems.

Cee Jay 01-18-2018 12:57 PM

Different places use different equipment. I CAN'T use ACE or a kiosk, I have nothing to copy.

kj07xk 01-18-2018 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 1827449)
I CAN'T use ACE or a kiosk, I have nothing to copy.

Think grandson owes you a new car, with keys. :icon_goofygrin: