Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Any info on this! (reverse camera)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Can you elaborate Cambo? Which module aside from the touchscreen? I think last time we worked on this I flashed the 09 software and updated the CCF to activate rear parking or whatever it was labeled but never got the blue screen via Fakra.

Have I forgotten a step? (or a module) :-)

It's been awhile, sorry
OK Cambo, from my notes, we (you, I and Nick) were originally unsuccessful because as you subsequently figured out, the multimedia module also needs to be flashed with different software and we didn't do that.

You were able to do it but it took some extensive tinkering with SSD security protocols, which is risky, if I recall and an extensive session duration of a few hours. So if something's changed, is updating that MM Module (aka the Navigation Module) still the sticking point or can you sell the updated software to those of us who DIY and have SSD?

Lastly for the sake of clarification, we are talking about both the Navigation display module (aka head unit/ aka touchscreen) and the Navigation module (aka the Navigation DVD player in the boot) as the two modules that need to be updated to get rear camera via fakra. I think I'm right on that but there are more than a few terms thrown out for these modules.

Last edited by Sean W; 02-22-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

Sorry for my ignorance on this subject and probably the repetitive questions. But is there a list of parts/hardware I would need to collect if I wanted to pursue a backup camera for my 2010? Also, if I understand correctly after parts are installed I would need someone to make the necessary software changes to enable it?

Old 02-22-2018, 02:57 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
OK Cambo, from my notes, we (you, I and Nick) were originally unsuccessful because as you subsequently figured out, the multimedia module also needs to be flashed with different software and we didn't do that.

You were able to do it but it took some extensive tinkering with SSD security protocols, which is risky, if I recall and an extensive session duration of a few hours. So if something's changed, is updating that MM Module (aka the Navigation Module) still the sticking point or can you sell the updated software to those of us who DIY and have SSD?

Lastly for the sake of clarification, we are talking about both the Navigation display module (aka head unit/ aka touchscreen) and the Navigation module (aka the Navigation DVD player in the boot) as the two modules that need to be updated to get rear camera via fakra. I think I'm right on that but there are more than a few terms thrown out for these modules.
Not the Navigation DVD drive, it's the Infotainment Control Module / Multimedia Module, the little black box that is mounted between the touchscreen and the audio head unit, in the middle of the dash.

Yes it can be re-flashed with the required software using SDD, but it's a non-standard routine, we can do it on yours if you want.

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
Sorry for my ignorance on this subject and probably the repetitive questions. But is there a list of parts/hardware I would need to collect if I wanted to pursue a backup camera for my 2010? Also, if I understand correctly after parts are installed I would need someone to make the necessary software changes to enable it?
Not really a list of parts as such, it's essentially just a camera and some cables.

You can use an aftermarket camera from eBay or Aliexpress, or it's possible to use a camera & plinth assembly from a 2012-onward.

And then the cables some of which will come with an aftermarket camera, others have to be made (I make these). For a factory camera the wiring will have to be made from scratch, and if you are buying one taken out of a car, try to get the connector with it, otherwise it's a real headache.

Once the camera is wired up, on a 2009MY onward it is just a matter of enabling the camera function with SDD. The earlier cars is where the headache is with software updates and so on.

Last edited by Cambo; 02-22-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
Not the Navigation DVD drive, it's the Infotainment Control Module / Multimedia Module, the little black box that is mounted between the touchscreen and the audio head unit, in the middle of the dash.

Yes it can be re-flashed with the required software using SDD, but it's a non-standard routine, we can do it on yours if you want.
Ah. Ok the Information and entertainment Module, got it. That's the missing piece we didn't have knowledge of way back when. Yes please. PM at your convenience and let me know the cost.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

Cambo, first let me just say thank you to you and others for sharing all your knowledge on this subject. You say you make your cables, is this something you do for the masse? Or can you recommend a camera and cables that would be DIY friendly for someone like myself? Is there a certain connection on cable needed? Does the camera plug directly into the back of the head unit? Also once I get past the installation part where would I go to get the camera function enabled? Again sorry for my lack of knowledge....

Old 02-22-2018, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,139 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Cambo,

Just to be clear, I presume that your 2009 XKR Portfolio is a 4.2L and is the same as the US model. Am I right?

If so, do you have the Part Number of that Infotainment Control Module? Instead of being without an ICM, what do you think about sending you another ICM for reflashing and then swapping them?

Would you be willing to put a kit together for us 2009 XK/XKR owners (like what WhiteXKR did with his remote top device) complete with instructions and all necessary parts? Maybe ship it with a reflashed ICM with the customer returning his core ICM to you via prepaid mailer, with a refund of the core charge after you recieve it.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:53 PM

Stuart, your 2009 Portfolio is identical to mine except for the steering wheel being on the wrong side, you can literally just plug in a camera and turn it on in the CCF, it works.

It is only the 2007-2008 cars that have all this messing around to make it work.

I'm not keen on exchanges, I tried that with the phone modules and one went missing in the post.

As for a kit, well to be honest I am not satisfied with the picture quality of the camera I got from China, but I'm not motivated enough to find a better one either.

Plus there is the thing about which colour camera housing; chrome, black, other colours, this is going to be different for different cars.

Also the convertible has different length cables to the coupe.

If someone wants one, I can put something together, but there's no one-size-fits-all kit...

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (02-23-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Cambo, first let me just say thank you to you and others for sharing all your knowledge on this subject. You say you make your cables, is this something you do for the masse? Or can you recommend a camera and cables that would be DIY friendly for someone like myself? Is there a certain connection on cable needed? Does the camera plug directly into the back of the head unit? Also once I get past the installation part where would I go to get the camera function enabled? Again sorry for my lack of knowledge....
PM sent.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,155 Likes on 3,088 Posts

Just to clarify here... cuz I'm old;
I take it any Jaguar Dealer would be able to do the necessary SDD, but they MAY need some guidance. Would step-by-step instructions be available to hand directly to the Jag Tech to follow? Due to previous experiences at different dealers of different makes, a LOT of techs are mostly worthless.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:21 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Just to clarify here... cuz I'm old;
I take it any Jaguar Dealer would be able to do the necessary SDD, but they MAY need some guidance. Would step-by-step instructions be available to hand directly to the Jag Tech to follow? Due to previous experiences at different dealers of different makes, a LOT of techs are mostly worthless.
Technically, I believe you are correct. I was looking at a 2010 and spoke to my dealer about doing this. I have a very strong relationship with them. They told me most dealer’s can’t even access CCD files directly now as the system moved online and they have to get these things from a central point (they don’t have the over ride codes like discussed here since the system is now different). That said, I was told they could probably make it happen.

YMMV.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:53 PM

Sorry I missed your post earlier.

I make up the cables, yes. Actually I make lots of different cables for retrofitting stuff into Jags and Land Rovers, some of them can be "standardised", others tend to be special for each car and application.

As I mentioned in my reply to Stuart, there's a few too many variables when it comes to a camera kit for the XK's.

I can make a cable that runs from the back of the touchscreen to a convenient spot (say the area of the fuse panel in the back seat) which gives you an RCA female plug, since most of the china-spec aftermarket cameras come with RCA male plugs on them for the video. Then it's up to you to run the cable/s supplied with the camera to that female RCA.

If you are using a factory camera & plinth from a 2012-onward XK then the connections are different, needs a different cable.

Originally Posted by dsd
Technically, I believe you are correct. I was looking at a 2010 and spoke to my dealer about doing this. I have a very strong relationship with them. They told me most dealer’s can’t even access CCD files directly now as the system moved online and they have to get these things from a central point (they don’t have the over ride codes like discussed here since the system is now different). That said, I was told they could probably make it happen.

YMMV.
The programming to turn on the reverse camera function in a 2009-onward car is just one setting in the car configuration file. But this is one of the "locked out" settings that a dealer cannot change unless they get an engineering mode password from JLR Tech Support. And these passwords aren't given out on a whim, they have to be requested in writing with a story about why they need it, etc. My experience is that JLR does not want to do or endorse any modifications to vehicles, regardless of if they are new or well out of warranty, and the answer usually is no.

But there are some of us with the diagnostic tool and the functions like this are unlocked...

Old 02-23-2018, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member

................. My experience is that JLR does not want to do or endorse any modifications to vehicles, regardless of if they are new or well out of warranty, and the answer usually is no.

But there are some of us with the diagnostic tool and the functions like this are unlocked...
Well then, guess I'll drive to your house and get you to write mine! It may take awhile, since it's an 18-hour flight and I still don't have my Hover Conversion completed.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member

I still don't have my Hover Conversion completed.
slacker

Old 02-23-2018, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,139 Likes on 3,383 Posts

My Hover Conversion was completed decades ago, long before SDD, OBD, and ABS. It was the inspiration for WTF.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

So I guess this thread is worthless as I can't get anything turned on. Oh well for me.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:24 PM

So I guess this thread is worthless as I can't get anything turned on. Oh well for me.
Your attitude never ceases to amaze me.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
My Hover Conversion was completed decades ago, long before SDD, OBD, and ABS. It was the inspiration for WTF.

Yeah, I like it!

Old 02-24-2018, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member

Your attitude never ceases to amaze me.
Wifey says I sometimes get a bit passive-aggressive. I've really got to stop doing that.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S

Wasn't this the hover car?
https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=1&ajaxhist=0

Old 02-24-2018, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

That's easy enough to fix......don't let her in the passenger's seat LOL!

Quick Reply: Any info on this! (reverse camera)