Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Any info on this! (reverse camera) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/any-info-reverse-camera-171736/)

powerhouse 10-30-2016 06:29 PM

Any info on this! (reverse camera)

Came across this video on a guy fitting a rear backup camera to a xkr, he explains how it works and shows where he mounted the camera and where the camera wire is going. He however doesn't tell how to connect the camera to the navigation box to work it, any clues, will this work on early models

McJag222 10-30-2016 07:05 PM

It's not obvious -

I checked the wiring diagram for any signs of a video signal system - not found anything yet

This is from the service manwell (nav computer next to the DVD in the trunk)

The navigation computer incorporates the following:

· GPS receiver
· VICS receiver (Japan only)
· Traffic Message Channel (TMC) receiver

The navigation computer is connected to the MOST bus. The navigation computer generates its own graphics and transmits them to the TSD on a dedicated GVIF (Gigabyte video Interface) bus.

From Wiki:

Gigabit Video Interface (GVIF) is a digital video serial interface developed by Sony in 1996 for high quality uncompressed video transmission from digital video.

One would assume the backup camera uses the GVIF system.

He does give a number to contact.

McJag222 10-30-2016 07:16 PM

Found this on GVIF for Jag/LR

https://pdf.ampire.de/caraudiosystem...g_VL2-GVIF.pdf

How to install GVIF v7.2 to a Range Rover Sport SC '05-'09

powerhouse 10-30-2016 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by McJag222 (Post 1561024)
It's not obvious -

I checked the wiring diagram for any signs of a video signal system - not found anything yet

This is from the service manwell (nav computer next to the DVD in the trunk)

The navigation computer incorporates the following:

· GPS receiver
· VICS receiver (Japan only)
· Traffic Message Channel (TMC) receiver

The navigation computer is connected to the MOST bus. The navigation computer generates its own graphics and transmits them to the TSD on a dedicated GVIF (Gigabyte video Interface) bus.

From Wiki:

Gigabit Video Interface (GVIF) is a digital video serial interface developed by Sony in 1996 for high quality uncompressed video transmission from digital video.

One would assume the backup camera uses the GVIF system.

He does give a number to contact.

Thanks McJag222 , as i live in Ireland and a bit away from this guy was looking for a step by step guide, not electrically minded at all

Cee Jay 10-30-2016 07:20 PM

I'm still going to wait for white_xkr's version, IF he ever finishes it. I don't want to muck about changing screens and all that nonsense. Who knows, maybe I'll never get a BUC for both those reasons.

kj07xk 10-30-2016 07:42 PM

See this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/hks-camp2-gvif-install-138621/

'flyc2c' gives a great description of his installation of a GVIF for use with an HKS Camp2.

I followed that, and then added a backup camera, as the GVIF used has multiple inputs, one dedicated for a backup camera.

McJag222 10-30-2016 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk (Post 1561051)
See this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nstall-138621/

'flyc2c' gives a great description of his installation of a GVIF for use with an HKS Camp2.

I followed that, and then added a backup camera, as the GVIF used has multiple inputs, one dedicated for a backup camera.

Interesting - it looks like you would still need to use the nav screen by the look of things as display module only has one GVIF input

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...c454a3c8f0.jpg

kj07xk 10-30-2016 10:51 PM

Yes, the display is via the nav screen.

Cambo 10-30-2016 11:26 PM

The touchscreen in the X150 XK it's supposed to be the "same" as the X250 XF and the L359 LR2.

I've checked the physical screen used in the LR2 and it's got a video in connection (Fakra connector) for a reversing camera, even though it was never offered from the factory. The XF did have a reverse camera option.

I'm 99% sure we could connect a factory style camera (any one used in a Jag or Land Rover) to the screen and get it working just by editing the CCF so that the reverse camera is "enabled"

I'm hoping that sooner or later I get hold of Steve_k_xk's car and test this theory out...

EDIT

I just checked out a screen that was pulled from a 2007 X150 XK, it has the Fakra connection for the camera in the back of it just like XF and LR2... first chance I get i'll be trying this out...

jahummer 10-31-2016 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo (Post 1561128)
The touchscreen in the X150 XK it's supposed to be the "same" as the X250 XF and the L359 LR2.

I've checked the physical screen used in the LR2 and it's got a video in connection (Fakra connector) for a reversing camera, even though it was never offered from the factory. The XF did have a reverse camera option.

I'm 99% sure we could connect a factory style camera (any one used in a Jag or Land Rover) to the screen and get it working just by editing the CCF so that the reverse camera is "enabled"

I'm hoping that sooner or later I get hold of Steve_k_xk's car and test this theory out...

EDIT

I just checked out a screen that was pulled from a 2007 X150 XK, it has the Fakra connection for the camera in the back of it just like XF and LR2... first chance I get i'll be trying this out...

Wow, really? I am surprised nobody has ever mentioned this before considering how many have explored this option. Very intriguing. I doubt there is a cable for it in the harness from the hatch to the head unit. Pardon my ignorance, but how hard is it to edit a CCF file and what else can you do to the car via CCF?

Cambo 10-31-2016 05:52 PM

The cables won't be there in the harness, that's for sure, but running an extra cable is no issue. I helped a guy retrofit a reversing camera to his 2014 LR2 recently, just ran a cable separately, activated the camera in the CCF and bam! reverse camera working.

To edit the CCF you need the dealers diagnostic tool IDS or SDD, and a suitable interface to work with it like a VCM. The later versions of SDD are "locked" that you cannot edit the CCF without a password to activate the Engineering Mode, but there are ways around this.

The CCF is basically all list of the feature and option configurations of the car; everything from the type of engine fitted, to having the mirrors fold in/out. It's how i upgraded the sound system in my LR2 to the Premium Surround, added the bluetooth phone, added DAB digital radio, added the heated seats, etc...

If someone wants to go down this road, 1st of all get hold of the wiring diagrams from the XF, this will show you how the camera is wired up. For the CCF editing there are a number of forum members in the US, UK and elsewhere in the world who have the required equipment to do this.

Have a look at this touchscreen that came out of an XK http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-Jaguar-XK...NXX~6-&vxp=mtr you see the three Fakra connectors in the corner on the back of the screen, one of those is for the camera input.

tampamark 10-31-2016 06:53 PM

Cambo, you are very knowledgeable! I am fortunate to already have a backup camera on my model.

Question, for my '12 XK the drl is not active. I have sdd loaded and operational but don't know how to turn the led front corners on, read that I have to be switch car to Canadian?

Sean W 10-31-2016 07:01 PM

Screen Shot of XF Camera wiring diagram

2 Attachment(s)
Adding the pic of the back of touch screen as well

jahummer 10-31-2016 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W (Post 1561645)
Adding the pic of the back of touch screen as well

Yes, mine has those connectors. So the question is can this feature be enable on the 2008 MY?

Cambo 10-31-2016 08:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hopefully we'll find out soon.

I just bought a $9 eBay camera and an $8 adaptor cable, which should work.

Attachment 138149

Attachment 138150

Sean W 11-11-2016 05:22 PM

Any updates Cambo?

Stuart S 11-11-2016 11:42 PM

Subscribed.

WhiteXKR 11-12-2016 06:03 PM

I spent some time a while back going down this road and could not get it to work. That is not to say it can't be done, I did not determine definitively. I am rooting for you, since I have not delivered on this one.

Cee Jay 11-12-2016 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR (Post 1568115)
I spent some time a while back going down this road and could not get it to work. That is not to say it can't be done, I did not determine definitively....................

This makes me sad.

jahummer 11-12-2016 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR (Post 1568115)
I spent some time a while back going down this road and could not get it to work. That is not to say it can't be done, I did not determine definitively. I am rooting for you, since I have not delivered on this one.

Do you know if the option can even be enabled with IDS?