XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Anyone ever lower the seat or do the sport seats sit different 2013 xkr

Old 06-28-2018, 09:59 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Anyone ever lower the seat or do the sport seats sit different 2013 xkr

Hi guys , I’m curious to know as I’m a tall and big guy and I wish I had a few inches lower in the seating potision and a few inches to angle the back more before it starts to twist with the small blockage from the rear. The sport seats like in the XFR-S look thinner so I’m wondering if they give more room for bigger guys?

Or or has anyone looked at a company taking out any parts to have the seating position lower than stock.

cheers Jordan

Old 06-28-2018, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

I know of one guy who put spacers under the Front Mounting, to get a more raked position. Doesn't help, I know.
ONE thing, at now 6-1 (lost over an inch in last ten years) I fit MUCH better in the X150 than I did in my old XK8. Again, no help from me. Sorry.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:14 PM

Lol my wife says lose weight.. that will help I’m sure but I still like to have a bit more lower position and the seat back at more of a angle without having the seat move forward.. it’s so close to being perfect but just enough to make me want more.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Something I have to do when I got new seats for my Corvette is leave some weight in the driver's seat if not being driven for more than a few days. About twenty pounds works.

Losing weight will work as well.

I'm waiting until I finish losing the weight I need to burn off of me before I cut the seat material in the Corvette.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I raised the front of the seat mounts @ 1/2" with spacer so it hit the bottom of my thighs. Made a huge difference in driving comfort. 6'7", 216 lbs. No real issue with my head hitting and I keep the seat off the quarter panel, but within 1/2".

Old 06-29-2018, 10:10 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Raising a seat is EZ/PZ. Lowering it is a different matter, more complicated. First you want to check where the seat back is hitting the rear quarter panel; and try to determine what, if any, modifications can be made to this panel so as to provide more room.
Actual seat lowering can probably be done. I know there is a kit for such with the 2013 Dodge Viper at about $500. Basically the kit removes the fore/aft movement of the seat for a parmanent-fixed location. I suspect the kit has you removing much of the seat adjustment hardware. This will take some reverse engineering, but really should not be all that difficult. Whatever, you will be a "pioneer" in this venture. Suggest you start with the purchase of a lower seat frame. Not cheap, but it will give you a good idea just were you can cut height.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-JAGUAR...4AAOSwIGJaRT0Z

Old 06-30-2018, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rey
Raising a seat is EZ/PZ. Lowering it is a different matter, more complicated. First you want to check where the seat back is hitting the rear quarter panel; and try to determine what, if any, modifications can be made to this panel so as to provide more room.
Actual seat lowering can probably be done. I know there is a kit for such with the 2013 Dodge Viper at about $500. Basically the kit removes the fore/aft movement of the seat for a parmanent-fixed location. I suspect the kit has you removing much of the seat adjustment hardware. This will take some reverse engineering, but really should not be all that difficult. Whatever, you will be a "pioneer" in this venture. Suggest you start with the purchase of a lower seat frame. Not cheap, but it will give you a good idea just were you can cut height.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-JAGUAR...4AAOSwIGJaRT0Z

cheers , this is interesting. I don’t mind it fixed as I would never move it forward but for re sale it’s not good.

I was wondering more if the sport seats provide lower position and a bit more space to lean back as it has a thinner side profile , I think

Old 06-30-2018, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member

Do you have room between your knees and the dash?

As you scoot the seat closer you can angle the back farther.

I do not have a lot of space between the dash and my knees, and this lets me put the back where I want it.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I guess I'm missing the problem here. I'm 6'3" at 230lbs and don't have a room problem. No head room issues with the top down but at least 2" with the top up. Have the heated/cooled seats and tilted back to be about 1/2" clearance with the side panel. Seat is bottomed out with the front raised a touch. I find a 4 hour drive to be comfortable .

Old 06-30-2018, 09:55 AM
Rey

The point I tried to make in suggesting purchasing a separate seat frame for modification is simple: retain the stock oem frame for resale. It is a fairly simple matter to exchange seat frames.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I guess I'm missing the problem here. I'm 6'3" at 230lbs and don't have a room problem. No head room issues with the top down but at least 2" with the top up. Have the heated/cooled seats and tilted back to be about 1/2" clearance with the side panel. Seat is bottomed out with the front raised a touch. I find a 4 hour drive to be comfortable .
Height gets built in different ways.

Then there is height when sitting down.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes

lol I’m just shy of 6’3 but I’m pushing 290 plus.. when I had my 2008 xkr I was 230 and dont recall being as uncomfortable. Makes sense I know.. I’m just a big guy ... shoulders etc. The height isn’t my issue I never hit the ceiling I just can’t seem to get the seat angle and distance from the pedal in a comfortable way.. losing weight will surely help. I was just wondering if the sport seats give a little more room.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:14 AM
Rey

Chromey, you seem to be satisfied with the extent of the fore/aft seat travel. Sport seats are unlikely to change fore/aft travel. I think you'd be comfortable if your seat could tilt/recline more when the seat is at rearmost position. The "back" of a sport seat may be thinner allowing more recline. But, the test for you is very subjective. Find a Jaguar with XK sport seats and see if they work for you. If they do, then consider sport seats, but I think you will find them very, very expensive and almost impossible to find.
Consider removing the rear panel which now limits your seat recline. Does this help? If so, maybe leave it off during your ownership. Reinstalling it when you sell the Jaguar should take just few minutes. This may be the cheapest solution.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rey
Chromey, you seem to be satisfied with the extent of the fore/aft seat travel. Sport seats are unlikely to change fore/aft travel. I think you'd be comfortable if your seat could tilt/recline more when the seat is at rearmost position. The "back" of a sport seat may be thinner allowing more recline. But, the test for you is very subjective. Find a Jaguar with XK sport seats and see if they work for you. If they do, then consider sport seats, but I think you will find them very, very expensive and almost impossible to find.
Consider removing the rear panel which now limits your seat recline. Does this help? If so, maybe leave it off during your ownership. Reinstalling it when you sell the Jaguar should take just few minutes. This may be the cheapest solution.

i haven’t even thought about removing the panel to expose more room. Will be headed to the car shortly to look into that

if if you could recline all the way for ferry rides etc the car would be a game changer lol..

Old 07-05-2018, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Cee Jay,
Like you, I was about 6'3" but when I had some surgery last year, I was repeatedly measured for the first time in years, and I've lost 3" as I'm now 6'0." At this rate, I'll be shorter than my 5'7" son in a few years. I'm a shrimp now and getting smaller by the minute. I also wish we could recline our seats to lay back.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (07-05-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
Cee Jay,
Like you, I was about 6'3" but when I had some surgery last year, I was repeatedly measured for the first time in years, and I've lost 3" as I'm now 6'0." At this rate, I'll be shorter than my 5'7" son in a few years. I'm a shrimp now and getting smaller by the minute. I also wish we could recline our seats to lay back.
The bright side is you'll fit the car better...