XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Battery Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 09:41 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

In all the photos in this thread of an OE Jaguar battery, one important detail is missing. The top of the -ve terminal which has the date of manufacture code:

The code is WW (for the week) and YY (for the year). This example is from my XK8. 23/12 is Week 23 in 2012.

My 2015MY X150 has the OE Varta battery fitted. It is NOT an AGM battery. When the time comes for a replacement (previous experience shows this to be an average of five years), it will be replaced with an AGM battery.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Battery Swap-battery.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
Queen and Country (05-20-2018), Stuart S (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 10:30 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

@Graham

Thanks for this valuable information on manufacture date. By coincidence I have only learned about this today from another thread here. If I knew, I may have waited replacing my OEM battery bc it was from 2017, i.e. not so old to be replaced when no issues.

Will certainly help others.

BR,
ter

Old 05-20-2018, 10:37 AM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Hi Guys,

FWIW here is my take on the whole battery issue for 2010-up.

First off, IDing what type of battery, it can't get any simpler, if it has the traditional screw plugs as seen on the battery above that GGG posted, it is a traditional "Wet Battery". IF not, and it has a "sealed" cover where those screw plugs are at, it is an AGM Battery. No need to look at labels etc.

Secondly, all the worries about venting or not venting, I haven't seen a current AGM battery for sale that does not have venting, they all do from what I have seen, exactly as the normal batteries do. For sure my new Bosch AGM does.

Thirdly, this notion of AGM installed at the factory in a 2010-up XK..well, they just don't fit in an XK without some tweeking so I have no doubt AGMs were never installed in an XK originally. The additional module on the negative terminal makes the AGM 1/8" too tall for an XK and the cover will not go back on properly without some minor tweeks..

Last but not least, after recently fitting an AGM in my 2010, I won't use anything else. The ole Low Battery Warning after having the ignition on (not started) for 5 minutes or less is gone. I had to leave mine on for over 15 minutes cranking wide open on the stereo before I got the warning, fair enough. I will monitor if I have any negatives on the coming months and will let everyone know if I come across any. I am doubtful there will be any.

Hope that helps,

Dave

Old 05-20-2018, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG

When the time comes for a replacement (previous experience shows this to be an average of five years), it will be replaced with an AGM battery.
You can do so with supreme confidence. I did 3 years ago with the only regret being not have done it earlier.
There is no size difference between an AGM battery and there is no reason for there to be.
The only concern of any consequence is battery meter; (effectively an add-on gauge that Jaguar installed right at the terminal- it informs the car how much battery you have left and when to shutdown radio) I did not reset/calibrate mine as required by Jaguar. Never been an issue, because your capacity is improved.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:24 AM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
There is no size difference between an AGM battery and there is no reason for there to be.
Must be different here in the states. My Bosch Group 49 S4 (standard wet) battery is 6 7/8" tall and the Bosch Group 49 AGM is 7 1/2" tall. Total height difference is 5/8" .

Cheers,

Dave

Old 05-20-2018, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
You can do so with supreme confidence. I did 3 years ago with the only regret being not have done it earlier.
The only concern of any consequence is battery meter; (effectively an add-on gauge that Jaguar installed right at the terminal- it informs the car how much battery you have left and when to shutdown radio) I did not reset/calibrate mine as required by Jaguar. Never been an issue, because your capacity is improved.
So far there isn't any info as to whether it makes a difference to go to AGM or if you need the charging system reprogrammed. Here is info from the manual on the 2010-2015 MY charging system.
The battery monitoring system module measures battery current and voltage, which it communicates to the CJB (central junction box) over a LIN (local interconnect network) bus connection. The CJB transmits the battery information to the instrument cluster over the medium speed CAN (controller area network) bus. The instrument cluster acts as a gateway between the medium and high speed CAN bus networks, and transmits the battery condition information to the ECM (engine control module) over the high speed CAN bus. Based on the information received from the battery monitoring system module, the ECM will control the output from the generator and request the switching off of electrical loads if necessary. For additional information, refer to: Generator (414-02 Generator and Regulator - V8 5.0L Petrol/V8 S/C 5.0L Petrol, Description and Operation).
CAUTION: Due to the self-calibration routine, it is recommended that all power supply diagnostic testing is carried out using the Jaguar approved diagnostic system rather than a digital multimeter.
The battery monitoring system module is able to generate DTC (diagnostic trouble code)'s to help diagnose battery or generator power supply issues. These DTC's can be read using the Jaguar approved diagnostic system. The Jaguar approved diagnostic system can also be used to implement a battery and generator self test routine. For additional information, refer to: Battery (414-01, Diagnosis and Testing).
If a fault is detected, the ECM will override the battery monitoring system module.
The battery monitoring system module DTC's can be used to help diagnose battery or generator power supply faults. The DTC's are stored in both the CJB and the ECM. The Jaguar approved diagnostic system has a process for an automated power supply diagnostic procedure. The procedure provides a menu driven process to locate a fault in a logical sequence. The procedure uses the capability of the battery monitoring system and generator LIN bus controlled functions to provide current flow information and will detect if the battery monitoring system or generator are functioning correctly.

The following 3 users liked this post by jagtoes:
10XKR (05-20-2018), pwpacp (05-20-2018), Queen and Country (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by 10XKR
Must be different here in the states. My Bosch Group 49 S4 (standard wet) battery is 6 7/8" tall and the Bosch Group 49 AGM is 7 1/2" tall. Total height difference is 5/8" .

Cheers,

Dave
My Jaguar (Varta) battery is 7.15" and After Market battery is 7.5.
So difference is within comfort zone of housing.