Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

BC Racing coil over kit for XKR

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts
Default BC Racing coil over kit for XKR

While yet again revisiting lowering my XKR (now that I have new wheels, somehow the gap has increased to 2-inches, not a good look) I came across these for only $995, anyone familiar with them?

2007 2015 Jaguar XK XKR Racing BR Series Coilovers lowering Set Coils Kit New | eBay

The following users liked this post:
User 070620 (03-23-2015)
Old 03-15-2015, 11:59 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

No CATS...so that's big thumbs down...

And $1000 seems way too cheap. Considering the Bilstein coilovers from Spires are $3500

Old 03-16-2015, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

Don't know if it supports CATS if not for many that would be a deal breaker. However in my case I disabled it about a year ago and haven't looked back.

But if the product sucks then it doesn't matter at all.

I've had Bilstein coil overs and they didn't cost nearly the price you quoted so not sure why they have them priced that high.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
While yet again revisiting lowering my XKR (now that I have new wheels, somehow the gap has increased to 2-inches, not a good look) I came across these for only $995, anyone familiar with them?

2007 2015 Jaguar XK XKR Racing BR Series Coilovers lowering Set Coils Kit New | eBay
How has the gap increased 2 inches

Old 03-16-2015, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by powerhouse
How has the gap increased 2 inches
Before the new wheels the gap was about 1.5-inches, so it increased about half an inch.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:37 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

...However in my case I disabled it about a year ago and haven't looked back...
What are you attempting to accomplish with this modification? Is it appearance or a change in handling?

The suspension and tyres work together to achieve a balance, so it may be best to select a tyre/brake/wheel/suspension combination that suits what you need for your particular style of driving. If the vehicle is being subjected to racing conditions, the more available adjustments, the better to find the handling balance.

jahummer (03-17-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NBCat
What are you attempting to accomplish with this modification? Is it appearance or a change in handling?

The suspension and tyres work together to achieve a balance, so it may be best to select a tyre/brake/wheel/suspension combination that suits what you need for your particular style of driving. If the vehicle is being subjected to racing conditions, the more available adjustments, the better to find the handling balance.
Trying to achieve multiple things. Primarily cosmetics as a 1.5" tire sidewall on 20" wheels and a 2" gap from tire to wheel well just does not look right period.

I also shed about 80 pounds in unsprung weight with lighter and wider rims. I wouldn't mind better handling either for the ocassional track day. I've also considered going from the stock 27" diameter tire to a 28" diameter but not sure how much of a difference that would make.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

OK I must admit this thread has me a little confused . From what I got from the OP it appears the rims and tires were replaced. I had assumed that the rim dia. stayed the same at 20" and even though they were wider they were still 20". Next the tires were replaced but if they were the same diameter there should have not been any difference in the overall height of the wheel/tire from the OEM rim/tire. Now if you went to a different size rim and tire do I assume you kept the overall Cir/diameter the same? If so then there should be no difference in the gap from the tire to the fender. So what am I missing and if you change overall tire height how did you alter the speedometer .

Old 03-17-2015, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry if my post was confusing. The primary purpose was to see if anyone was familiar with these coil over kits.

I don't know why I gained a half inch of clearance. Same tires just wider diameter rims. As far as the speedometer I don't think that would mater. If the factory spec is 27" they are going to end up getting smaller with wear so if they start with a slightly larger diameter they will wear into spec anyway.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry if my post was confusing. The primary purpose was to see if anyone was familiar with these coil over kits.

I don't know why I gained a half inch of clearance. Same tires just wider diameter rims. As far as the speedometer I don't think that would mater. If the factory spec is 27" they are going to end up getting smaller with wear so if they start with a slightly larger diameter they will wear into spec anyway.
Tire wear is not an issue with the speedo but tire circumference or inflated tire diameter is. Wider rims don't affect tire diameter. Usually when you go to +1 or +2 tire size you change the aspect ratio to keep the same tire diameter. Look at Tirerack for your OEM tire size and then look at the spec's for that tire. It will tell you diameter and if you go for the next size tire and change the aspect ratio then the tires OD will be the same and your ride height won't change. So a 225/50-18 is the same as a 225/45/19 and a 255/30-21 These are all 27" in diameter +/- a hair which should not induce a speedo error. So if you kept the same tire size except for the aspect ratio I can see you having increased the gap.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Tire wear is not an issue with the speedo but tire circumference or inflated tire diameter is. Wider rims don't affect tire diameter. Usually when you go to +1 or +2 tire size you change the aspect ratio to keep the same tire diameter. Look at Tirerack for your OEM tire size and then look at the spec's for that tire. It will tell you diameter and if you go for the next size tire and change the aspect ratio then the tires OD will be the same and your ride height won't change. So a 225/50-18 is the same as a 225/45/19 and a 255/30-21 These are all 27" in diameter +/- a hair which should not induce a speedo error. So if you kept the same tire size except for the aspect ratio I can see you having increased the gap.
Sorry, I must have confused you even more with my explanation. From the first post, this thread is about coil overs, not tires, tires were never mentioned. And I never said I changed any tires. The only thing I said I changed was the width of the rims.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry, I must have confused you even more with my explanation. From the first post, this thread is about coil overs, not tires, tires were never mentioned. And I never said I changed any tires. The only thing I said I changed was the width of the rims.

Hope that helps.
I got it that you were talking about suspensions but where I got side tracked was with the gap after you changed wheels and tires. You didn't mention that you change any suspension components yet but after the tire change you got a larger gap. A wider rim would not change the gap unless you put on a smaller tire. Did you do anything with the suspension yet?

Old 03-17-2015, 05:15 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Ah well to be picky, if the old tyres get stretched out on the wider rims, the rolling circumference would be reduced a little. But it would have to be stretched in a noticeable way.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

I got it that you were talking about suspensions but where I got side tracked was with the gap after you changed wheels and tires. You didn't mention that you change any suspension components yet but after the tire change you got a larger gap. A wider rim would not change the gap unless you put on a smaller tire. Did you do anything with the suspension yet?
Haven't done anything to the suspension yet. Don't care that the gap has mysteriously increased either. I always felt 20-25mm would be good, I think H&R @ 35mm is too much, that is why these adjustable coil overs caught my attention.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo351
Ah well to be picky, if the old tyres get stretched out on the wider rims, the rolling circumference would be reduced a little. But it would have to be stretched in a noticeable way.
The tires are the original factory spec for 20" XKRs. The wider rims now give them that slightly stretched look with angled sidewalls. If the tire is steel belted, I understand that diameter is NOT affected by rim width.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

The tires are the original factory spec for 20" XKRs. The wider rims now give them that slightly stretched look with angled sidewalls. If the tire is steel belted, I understand that diameter is NOT affected by rim width.
Put 50kg of lead in the trunk, everything solved.

jahummer (03-17-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

Here are some pics to give some perspective on what I am referring to.

Attached Thumbnails BC Racing coil over kit for XKR-img_7050.jpg   BC Racing coil over kit for XKR-img_7049.jpg  
Old 03-17-2015, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member

Here are some pics to give some perspective on what I am referring to.

OK I just went out to the garage to look at mine and it looks about the same . I didn't measure it but it looks good to me. What tires are you running. My rears are 285/35-20. With the roads around here I won't want to lower mine any more then it is. Good luck in what you are looking for.

jahummer (03-17-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

OK I just went out to the garage to look at mine and it looks about the same . I didn't measure it but it looks good to me. What tires are you running. My rears are 285/35-20. With the roads around here I won't want to lower mine any more then it is. Good luck in what you are looking for.
Yours should be 255/35 in the front and 285/30 in the rear, like mine. If you have the same gap as I, don't you think it looks kind of out of proportion, like it is jacked up? Maybe if the tires were spec'd with taller sidewalls/larger diameter it would not look so bad. Other performance cars like Porsche, etc have 20" wheels with 28"+ diameter tires and they look a lot better proportion wise, IMHO.

Last edited by jahummer; 03-17-2015 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member

Yours should be 255/35 in the front and 285/30 in the rear, like mine. If you have the same gap as I, don't you think it looks kind of out of proportion, like it is jacked up? Maybe if the tires were spec'd with taller sidewalls/larger diameter it would not look so bad. Other performance cars like Porsche, etc have 20" wheels with 28"+ diameter tires and they look a lot better proportion wise, IMHO.
Yep , right you are . 255/35-20 fronts and 285/30-20 rears. They are 28" in diameter and the OEM Dunlops that came with the car. It only has 10K miles on it. I don't think it looks out of proportion but then again this is the 1st car I had with this type of cross section.

Quick Reply: BC Racing coil over kit for XKR