XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

need a key, don't have the original

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 11:10 PM
Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
Default need a key, don't have the original

Searched the forums, didn't see an answer (seems model specific).

I recently purchased a 2007 XKR. I brought it to the shop the other day and the mechanic showed me that the physical key hidden in the remote is a blank (no teeth cut). I have one electronic remote with a blank key. The previous owner does not have the original.

I plan to buy a second electronic remote and I would like both to have the correct key cut.

#1 Does anyone have a recommendation regarding who I should purchase the remote from? And are their variations on these remotes that I need to be aware of?

#2 How do I get a key that is already cut?

For #1 I am in the US. Here is a link that shows what the remote looks like:

2007 - 2013 Jaguar XK XKR XF Prox Key - KR55WK49244

For #2 I assume I need to contact the dealer. I thought I would check the forum first as I usually get the best answers from the forum.

Thanks in advance.

Biff

Old 07-23-2017, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,282 Posts

There are some threads discussing #1, and its a crap-shoot buying a used key, as it needs to have been unpaired from its previous car.
#2 would be a dealer thing, I think they can get a cut key based on your VIN.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:29 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

I think you want
Keyless Lock Pad - Jaguar (C2P17155)

List price on this is $408. Gaudin Jaguar in Reno, NV sells this for $264. Suggest you call them (or other dealer) and see if they can program the lock pad and cut the key from your VIN. If you want just a blank metal key, look at eBay. Cost should be $25 or less; and the key can be duplicated locally by a locksmith.

Note also, these key pads do require fresh batteries. Changing battery is spelled out in owners manual. It is possible to buy the pad without the electronics for about $30 on line. This is useful if the plastic parts break. My key lock mechanism broke and I was able to restore with just a new plastic pad.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,135 Likes on 3,381 Posts

Biff,

Save yourself some time and aggravation and pay the price for your local Jaguar dealer to order one remote fob with the proper laser cut emergency key for your car. They will need your VIN. That way you're guaranteed it will work. The new fob has to be electronically paired with your XKR using the proprietary Jaguar software in order to work. That's not an easy process, and it's best if your dealer has done it before. Get a firm price up front and shop around.

If you have one working fob and emergency key, you can then save some $$$ and buy a used "orphan" key fob and blank emergency key on eBay. Just make sure that you get a guarantee that the fob has been electronically unpaired and is reprogrammable and will work. That's what I did. I had my local Jaguar dealer program it (they charged less than my indy) and had a local locksmith laser cut the blank emergency key.

Stuart