XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Another water pump question

Old 12-12-2015, 09:53 AM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Another water pump question

Hi All;

I'm a new member but have been reading here for some time. I'm starting the search for another car. The sickness returns.

I'm looking at '10/11 XKR's. Generally in the 35-50k mile driven range. Some already have had the water pump replaced, some not. Given the paucity of choices in my area, zero; I have to cast a wide search. Thus this question.

When I find a car I like, can I realistically attempt drive it home if it still has the original pump? This could be anywhere from 500-1200 miles. Obviously I don't want to be stuck in East Nowhere with a failed pump. Do they give much warning before failure, or is it ok one day and toast the next?

For me, there is no right or wrong answer. This, and the cost to ship, are simply issues to price into a possible car. Your perspectives will be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Old 12-12-2015, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

My 2010 XKR is now near 60,000 miles and there isn't so much as a squeak from the water pump. I don't think the Water Pump problem is as MUCH of a problem as you think it may be. Problems may arise from improper maintenance. If there are no obvious tell-tale noises when you first see the car, if I would be in YOUR place, I'd drive that mother all over the place.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by SickRob
Hi All;

I'm a new member but have been reading here for some time. I'm starting the search for another car. The sickness returns.

I'm looking at '10/11 XKR's. Generally in the 35-50k mile driven range. Some already have had the water pump replaced, some not. Given the paucity of choices in my area, zero; I have to cast a wide search. Thus this question.

When I find a car I like, can I realistically attempt drive it home if it still has the original pump? This could be anywhere from 500-1200 miles. Obviously I don't want to be stuck in East Nowhere with a failed pump. Do they give much warning before failure, or is it ok one day and toast the next?

For me, there is no right or wrong answer. This, and the cost to ship, are simply issues to price into a possible car. Your perspectives will be greatly appreciated.

Rob
I would believe the likely hood of a WP failure is insignificant compared to the number of cars sold. this form is a small sample of this failure and I would have no concerns of driving a car any distance. I have purchased a few cars on the net and had them shipped. Much easier then driving 500-1000 miles.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:55 PM

Thanks Guys;

On the other hand I've seen a number of Carfax histories showing WP's replaced around 35k ,miles. Thus my question. How much warning do they give?

To Jagtoes; I kind of like the idea of driving home and exploring a new area; assuming it is not in a winter storm. I have the time until my season starts back up in late April.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 345 Likes on 239 Posts

2012 XKR with 20,000 miles on it... all maintenance UTD. Had a strange noise from the front and they needed to checked the supercharger. In doing so they saw a water pump leak. I had no idea it was going on, no warning, there was a leaky pump? So I had it and I knew it was a possibility. That was on a 2012 even.

Loth

Old 12-12-2015, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

[QUOTE=SickRob;1363777] ... I've seen a number of Carfax histories showing WP's replaced around 35k ,miles. Thus my question. How much warning do they give? QUOTE]

SickRob,

That may depend on how well you pay attention to what your car is telling you. Water pumps usually don't fail without any warning; typically, the pump leaks and/or has noisy bearings.

My 2013 XJ 5.0 SC had the water pump replaced under warranty about a year ago at approximately 28K miles. It's the same engine as in the XKR.

I noticed the tell-tale smell of antifreeze when I shut off the engine, but there was no apparent coolant loss. Being aware of the water pump issue, I asked my dealer to check it. The tech saw signs of dried seepage and replaced the pump. How much longer could I have driven before the water pump failed? It's hard to say how long it takes for a slow leak to become a catastrophic failure.

Your due diligence in buying a used XKR should, at a minimum, include a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) from an authorized Jaguar dealer at your expense (usually around $200) in checklist questionnaire format. Tell the dealer that you want them to include a visual inspection of the water pump for leaks. You can't rely on CarFax, since not all events are reported to them. A clean CarFax is no guarantee of a clean car. After I traded my former 2007 Lexus LS460, I noticed that it was advertised with a clean CarFax even though it had significant damage. Buyer beware.

Good luck with your search!

Stuart

The following users liked this post:
SickRob (12-14-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

I remember the shop foreman at my local Jaguar dealership mentioning replacing water pumps on XKs with mileage as low as 5,000 miles. There is no way to say when it will start to fail. It's a good idea to periodically look under the hood towards the front of the engine for any light specs as another sign that the water pump is starting to leak and throwing the coolant around the engine bay.

Last edited by bocatrip; 12-13-2015 at 01:30 PM.
SickRob (12-14-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 04:12 AM
Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Why not buy a pump & gaskets then take them with you when you go to pick the car up? That way if the pump packs up on the way home, in East Nowhere, you only have to find somewhere that'll fit your new pump & if it makes it home ok you can fir the new one it your leisure.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by JonWat
Why not buy a pump & gaskets then take them with you when you go to pick the car up? That way if the pump packs up on the way home, in East Nowhere, you only have to find somewhere that'll fit your new pump & if it makes it home ok you can fir the new one it your leisure.

ROFLMAO!!

I needed a good laugh and this was one. In our version of East Nowhere mechanics only know how to work on cars related to NASCAR. No furrin' cars need apply. Otherwise, it is a reasonable suggestion except that I'm not a mechanic either. Just not part of my skill set.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:19 PM

[
SickRob,

That may depend on how well you pay attention to what your car is telling you. Water pumps usually don't fail without any warning; typically, the pump leaks and/or has noisy bearings.

I noticed the tell-tale smell of antifreeze when I shut off the engine, but there was no apparent coolant loss. Being aware of the water pump issue, I asked my dealer to check it. The tech saw signs of dried seepage and replaced the pump. How much longer could I have driven before the water pump failed? It's hard to say how long it takes for a slow leak to become a catastrophic failure.

Your due diligence in buying a used XKR should, at a minimum, include a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) from an authorized Jaguar dealer at your expense (usually around $200) in checklist questionnaire format. Tell the dealer that you want them to include a visual inspection of the water pump for leaks. You can't rely on CarFax, since not all events are reported to them. A clean CarFax is no guarantee of a clean car. After I traded my former 2007 Lexus LS460, I noticed that it was advertised with a clean CarFax even though it had significant damage. Buyer beware.

Good luck with your search!

Stuart[/QUOTE]

Thanks Stuart;

Have you had a dealer do such an inspection? Are they generally happy to do them? I assume the car has to be towed to and from at my expense.

Rob

Old 12-14-2015, 12:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Water pump issue

My 2011 xk has been impeccably maintained, yet the water pump failed with absolutely no warning... A loud squeal for ten seconds, then glycole smell in the ac system... was still under warranty at the time...

Old 12-14-2015, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

[/QUOTE]
Thanks Stuart;
Have you had a dealer do such an inspection? Are they generally happy to do them? I assume the car has to be towed to and from at my expense.
Rob[/QUOTE]

Rob,

Yes, and it's worth every penny. Cost will vary by dealer, usually takes between 1-2 hours. The Jag dealer provided me with a copy of the same checklist they use to determine if a used Jag meets CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) standards. If you're buying from a private party, they might be willing to drive the car to the nearest Jag dealer to close the deal. If you don't ask, you don't get.

Since you're a newbie, you can thank another member by clicking the button at the bottom right of that post. That enables the Forum to automatically maintain a tally of thanks given and received by member.

Stuart

SickRob (12-15-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Mechanics hailing from East Nowhere have a lot of confidence if
given a chance. IIRC, the water pump on the Jag V8 is not exactly
a difficult job. Print out the replacement procedure an tuck it in
with the pump.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:32 AM
Received 189 Likes on 88 Posts
Default How Much?

I haven't yet, but in case I experience a water pump failure on my 2009 XK, I'm curious what does a Jag dealer charge to replace a water pump on an XK? By comparison, any idea what an independent shop would charge? Thanks.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by plums
Mechanics hailing from East Nowhere have a lot of confidence if
given a chance. IIRC, the water pump on the Jag V8 is not exactly
a difficult job. Print out the replacement procedure an tuck it in
with the pump.

Great idea. where does one find this procedure to print it out?

Rob

Old 12-15-2015, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Snide72
I haven't yet, but in case I experience a water pump failure on my 2009 XK, I'm curious what does a Jag dealer charge to replace a water pump on an XK? By comparison, any idea what an independent shop would charge? Thanks.

Hi Snide;

If you have an '09 you have the 4.2 motor. The issue I originally addressed was for the 5.0 motor. Apparently the 4.2 is much more reliable. For the 5.0 I've seen $1700 referenced in another thread about these pumps.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:14 AM

To All;

Thanks for your input. You have confirmed my early expectation that the water pump is simply a hand grenade waiting to explode. The real problem is that no one can tell how long the fuse is.

Stuart's reminded of the value of a professional car survey is the key to my search and probably the answer to my issue. It seems that the logical approach is to have the car surveyed by a dealer and if I buy it I will have that dealer install a new pump the next day. Just part of the cost of the car, and I can enjoy driving my new baby home without worry (?).

Rob

Old 12-16-2015, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

To All;

Thanks for your input. You have confirmed my early expectation that the water pump is simply a hand grenade waiting to explode. The real problem is that no one can tell how long the fuse is.

Stuart's reminded of the value of a professional car survey is the key to my search and probably the answer to my issue. It seems that the logical approach is to have the car surveyed by a dealer and if I buy it I will have that dealer install a new pump the next day. Just part of the cost of the car, and I can enjoy driving my new baby home without worry (?).

Rob
I hate to complicate the picture but, I have seen posts on this forum where the same owner/car had multiple water pump replacements. So, an automatic pump replacement may not solve the longer term issues.

Having said that, my 5.0 cars thus far have managed to avoid water pump issues. The XJL had 30K miles when I turned the lease back-in, our XF has 10K and my '10 XKR has 9K. I am watching the XKR very closely as I smell an occassional puff of coolant after shutting the car down. So far, no real loss of coolant from the reservoir.

Last edited by axr6; 12-16-2015 at 01:59 PM.
bocatrip (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I was out for a spin today in the great 54* temp here in NY. Hooked up my Torque Pro just to see what my WT was and how it moved up the scale. I am assuming it has a 195*F thermostat as it went up to 199.9 and then came back to 195-194 for the rest of my ride. I'm almost at 15K miles. No sign of any issues.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
I hate to complicate the picture but, I have seen posts on this forum where the same owner/car had multiple water pump replacements. So, an automatic pump replacement may not solve the longer term issues.

Having said that, my 5.0 cars thus far have managed to avoid water pump issues. The XJL had 30K miles when I turned the lease back-in, our XF has 10K and my '10 XKR has 9K. I am watching the XKR very closely as I smell an occassional puff of coolant after shutting the car down. So far, no real loss of coolant from the reservoir.
Yes, there is no guarantee that replacement of the water pump will resolve future failures. Thus the frustration on this forum of no real fix for water pump failures on the 2010+XK/XKR cars. Not a good feeling after investing a considerable amount of money for a pleasure car. Maybe once these cars age significantly will there be a fix or just replace waterpumps whenever?

Search this Thread