XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Body Shop Recommendation for St Petersburg or Tampa FL

Old 07-21-2018, 07:35 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
The stories above point out that human vagaries play a major part in the outcomes with various insurance companies and their offices. recently my wife's RX350 F Sport was damaged by a beer truck of all things. The claims office out of Phoenix, yes Phoenix AZ and the adjuster in LA couldn't have been nicer and we received the vehicle back from the body shop I chose on Monday of this week. Incidentally StateFarm knocked down the original estimate by about 15% and the body shop accepted the revised estimate without a whimper. As to the work done, it was exemplary as attested to by my detailer today. Oh, and payment of the claim was received before the work was finished. They are now going after local Coors distributor and we will get the $1000 deductible back. Accident occurrence 6/29 adjuster inspection at body shop 7/6 car returned 7/16 and would have been quicker but for the holiday in the middle.
------------
Thank you for the feedback.
The adjuster has been outstanding so far. He called me back right after he saw the car to let me know that it was not a write-off -- which was a huge concern for me.
He also indicated that it may take some time as he wanted them to make sure that they thoroughly investigated any underlying damage.
The interesting part is that I have to get the Xpel Ultimate wrap replaced on the damaged parts. I saw that Auto Paint Guard is an installer in Tampa and they have good reviews.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:41 AM

Hi Dave

Unfortunately none of the Jag dealers around here have a true in-house Jag certified body shop, everything is sublet or sent, often without disclosure, to a sister dealership. I reckon the new Dimmitt collision center in Oldsmar will be certified once they get their new JLR dealership opened this year. However I had them do my Range Rover and it was a disaster. I have been using Superior Autobody for over 20 years and they are by far the best.
------------
I ended up using Crown Jaguar's body shop. I hope that was not a mistake but so far, they have been really good with keeping on top of things -- i.e. calling me when the car got there, contacting the adjuster to get him out there (he was already on his way there), etc.
I will let you know how it goes.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by nsjdj
Hi Dave

Unfortunately none of the Jag dealers around here have a true in-house Jag certified body shop, everything is sublet or sent, often without disclosure, to a sister dealership. I reckon the new Dimmitt collision center in Oldsmar will be certified once they get their new JLR dealership opened this year. However I had them do my Range Rover and it was a disaster. I have been using Superior Autobody for over 20 years and they are by far the best.
------------
I ended up using Crown Jaguar's body shop. I hope that was not a mistake but so far, they have been really good with keeping on top of things -- i.e. calling me when the car got there, contacting the adjuster to get him out there (he was already on his way there), etc.
I will let you know how it goes.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. They don't have an in-house body shop so it is sent out. Depends on how particular you are but you have the right to stay on top of them until completed to your satisfaction.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:21 AM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
Hi Dave

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for that info, it helps a lot! I was planning to drive in person as I always do for something like this and it would have been evident they were not in house. With your info you just saved me a 2 hour round trip.. THANKS AGAIN!!

Have a GREAT Weekend,

Dave

Old 07-21-2018, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Any pics of the carnage?

Old 07-21-2018, 08:18 PM

A couple of pictures of the damage.

The following users liked this post:
Ranchero50 (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 08:19 PM

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. They don't have an in-house body shop so it is sent out. Depends on how particular you are but you have the right to stay on top of them until completed to your satisfaction.
--------------------
Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

ooooochieeessss....... Suck again, man. More damage value there than the entire worth of the other guy's whole car, maybe?

Old 07-21-2018, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member

--------------------
Thanks for the advice.
Ouch! Looks like a new wing and new door, also brake lines & ABS are located in that corner. I'd say based on surface damage you are probably already in the area of $6-8K, with parts alone being over $4K. They will have to blend the hood, bumper and rear quarter as well.

FWIW to you, in the state of Florida you are entitled to diminished value from the insurance company, usually about 5% of the high retail value of the car

nsjdj (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
ooooochieeessss....... Suck again, man. More damage value there than the entire worth of the other guy's whole car, maybe?
---------------
Lol I was hit by a 2016 Nissan Quest.

Last edited by nsjdj; 07-21-2018 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:13 PM

Ouch! Looks like a new wing and new door, also brake lines & ABS are located in that corner. I'd say based on surface damage you are probably already in the area of $6-8K, with parts alone being over $4K. They will have to blend the hood, bumper and rear quarter as well.

FWIW to you, in the state of Florida you are entitled to diminished value from the insurance company, usually about 5% of the high retail value of the car
-----------------------
I am hoping that the blend will not be too difficult as I have an Xpel Ultimate wrap on the car -- done about 4 years ago, so there is about 3 years of exposure to the elements on it.
I did not know about the diminished value entitlement -- extremely useful.
Thanks!

Old 07-21-2018, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Bummer but it surely could have been much worse. Door, fender, vent, lamp, emblem and paint work.

Good luck with it.

I try to avoid people in mine. So far the last guy did all the damage to it.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

-----------------------
I am hoping that the blend will not be too difficult as I have an Xpel Ultimate wrap on the car -- done about 4 years ago, so there is about 3 years of exposure to the elements on it.
I did not know about the diminished value entitlement -- extremely useful.
Thanks!
Despite the age, it is still considered a high end luxury automobile and if yours is in fine condition you could argue the right side of the car no longer matches the left to the point of distraction/detraction ( they will need to replace the bumper, wing, hood, door & quarter films so that leaves little left of the older material). The fact your car has paint protection film is an indication of the care level taken and I am certain you should have no difficulty having them do it right. Who is your service writer, Gary, Rick or?

nsjdj (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 11:09 PM
Thumbs up

Despite the age, it is still considered a high end luxury automobile and if yours is in fine condition you could argue the right side of the car no longer matches the left to the point of distraction/detraction ( they will need to replace the bumper, wing, hood, door & quarter films so that leaves little left of the older material). The fact your car has paint protection film is an indication of the care level taken and I am certain you should have no difficulty having them do it right. Who is your service writer, Gary, Rick or?
-------------
Actually, I don't know the service writer but will check on Monday and reply to you.
Interesting comment on things not matching. I am definitely going to scrutinize the cr*p out of the work with the help of my wife, who has an incredibly scrutinizing eye for paint match and details (needed work done on my other cars and she can spot everything).
Car is in excellent condition - get comments whenever I have it on the road.
The wrap job was absolutely incredible. It was done in Canada (that is where I initially lived when I bought the car) and was installed by the best installer that they had in the province. This was according to the Xpel representative for Canada.
I need to wait for 30 days before I can put Xpel on the new paint.
I was going to use Auto Paint Guard in Tampa for the Xpel installation.
I really appreciate you taking the time to comment on my situation!

Last edited by nsjdj; 07-21-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:05 AM

A couple of pictures of the damage.
Dang man, sorry to see that!. Best wishes for a proper repair!

Cheers,

Dave

nsjdj (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

No doubt that you'll need a new fender but I would consider getting a used door as a replacement instead of a new door skin. Just my thoughts.

nsjdj (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
No doubt that you'll need a new fender but I would consider getting a used door as a replacement instead of a new door skin. Just my thoughts.
I agree with Jagtoes. Why do a skin and introduce long term risk that's created by skin replacement when a door can be had on the cheap?

nsjdj (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sean W
I agree with Jagtoes. Why do a skin and introduce long term risk that's created by skin replacement when a door can be had on the cheap?
Hi Sean,

I haven't heard this one before, what is the long term issues with changing the door skin?

From the pic, I would think there is more than skin damage on that door anyway, so I am agree with the used door recommendation..

Cheers,

Dave

nsjdj (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by 10XKR
Hi Sean,

I haven't heard this one before, what is the long term issues with changing the door skin?

From the pic, I would think there is more than skin damage on that door anyway, so I am agree with the used door recommendation..

Cheers,

Dave
I have not looked on the inside of these doors but would be concerned about aligning the window tracts as well as the components for the latch system. My main concern here would be damage to the door hinge support/mount frame structure. You can't see that potential damage from here but if the door opens and closes correctly then it may not be a problem. He even might be lucky enough to get one that is the same color.

nsjdj (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Door skins are assembled robotically at a factory during build. They're spot welded along with the adhesive bond. No way can a human match that level of precision and there's a 50/50 chance they will leak long term. Why bother when you can get a door on eBay for $700. Add to that Jagtoes' comments regarding alignment concerns and it's just not worth the savings IMO. My opinion only and I would personally avoid any body shop that says otherwise, if it were my car.

nsjdj (07-22-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Body Shop Recommendation for St Petersburg or Tampa FL