XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Body Shop Recommendation for St Petersburg or Tampa FL

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

This thread is what makes this forum great. Everyone sharing their knowledge to help someone without getting bogged down in debate, right down to a gent who lives in the area and has direct knowledge of the shops involved. You guys are the best.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
jahummer (07-24-2018), nsjdj (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 01:53 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
That is odd, as Superior works on aluminum cars all of the time, including mine. Jaguar shipped them a new wing last year when I had to have it replaced after a neighbor backed into mine and ripped the fender. I just reached out to Ron to find out, I would much rather see your car go there, nothing in it for me, as they are the best. I know Crown can't do it which is why I mentioned before they don't have an in house facility. If you do go with Dimmitt, I hope for you they have improved. Their paint work was fine, they just had a hard time putting the car back together correctly as well as panel and bumper alignment issues and there were a number of issues with the new parts they used.

By the way paint codes don't matter, environmental factors as well as batch numbers will still alter the shade of black or any color for that mater which is why good body shops always paint/blend adjacent painted areas.
--------------
You called him! Wow, that is extremely nice of you!!
EDITED TO AVOID UNNECESSARY READING
Drove out to see the damage myself and take pictures.
Then went to Ron at Superior with the pictures -- apron does not look bad at all and Ron thinks he can repair it.
Getting it towed to Superior tomorrow morning -- I just have to get to Crown when they open tomorrow to make sure that the car does not get towed to DImmitt.
I was not confident that the people would convey the message properly as many of them had left for the day.
Thanks again!

Last edited by nsjdj; 07-24-2018 at 07:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jahummer (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by nsjdj
--------------
You called him! Wow, that is extremely nice of you!!
EDITED TO AVOID UNNECESSARY READING
Drove out to see the damage myself and take pictures.
Then went to Ron at Superior with the pictures -- apron does not look bad at all and Ron thinks he can repair it.
Getting it towed to Superior tomorrow morning -- I just have to get to Crown when they open tomorrow to make sure that the car does not get towed to DImmitt.
I was not confident that the people would convey the message properly as many of them had left for the day.
Thanks again!
Sorry, I missed the bit about the apron damage. Yes, sub body structures will be in issue for a non-Jag certified shops, even ones with aluminium TIG abilities. Body panels, doors etc, however are not an issue. Hopefully the damage to the apron is not severe but it is good to hear the insurance company is willing to take the steps to make certain the repairs are completed correctly.

Not that it matters but I am surprised whoever you were working with at Crown didn't know they couldn't work on aluminium Jags and accepted your work...

nsjdj (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 09:26 PM

Sorry, I missed the bit about the apron damage. Yes, sub body structures will be in issue for a non-Jag certified shops, even ones with aluminium TIG abilities. Body panels, doors etc, however are not an issue. Hopefully the damage to the apron is not severe but it is good to hear the insurance company is willing to take the steps to make certain the repairs are completed correctly.

Not that it matters but I am surprised whoever you were working with at Crown didn't know they couldn't work on aluminium Jags and accepted your work...
-----------
Insurance company indicated that Superior Auto was in their network. The adjuster also indicated that Ron's work is absolutely spot on.
I was buried with work, so I did not get a chance to visit Crown until later today. While they were very nice, the advisor really did not know where to look on the apron or anything.
I was also surprised that it took them that long.
From the picture, Ron is 99% certain that he can fix it. He could not even see too much damage to the apron (slight bend).
You and others in this forum are correct -- he really knows his stuff.
I know this is repetitive but thanks again!

jahummer (07-24-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Any update on this?

nsjdj (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 11:48 PM

Any update on this?
Apologies for the delay in responding as I have been travelling.
Turns out that there was no damage to the apron at all (don't know what Crown was talking about). There was only a slight bend in the hinge pillar.
Ron from Superior Auto Body told me that they were able to do all the repairs. I received a new door and front panel from Jaguar.
I am scheduled to pick up the car on Tuesday.
The car could have been ready sooner but I told them to take their time as I would not be able to get it until I returned to Florida.
I will be getting the Xpel Ultimate from Auto Paint Guard. I have to wait 30 days before applying it to fresh paint.
I will send you some pictures next week.
P.S. Just before the car was going to be towed to Superior Auto Body, Crown called me and then said that they could fix the car after all. I took your advice and used the opening to get it to Ron.
Thanks for following up!

Last edited by nsjdj; 08-17-2018 at 11:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nsjdj:
jahummer (08-18-2018), Ranchero50 (08-18-2018)
Old 03-10-2019, 12:59 PM
Default Final Update

This update is long overdue but I wanted everything to be resolved.
Ron from Superior Auto Body was outstanding (patient too) and his work was incredible. FYI, it was a brand new door and front panel.
I hope that I don't have to use him for a long time but when I do need anything done, he is definitely the man.
Auto Paint Guard put on the XPEL Ultimate wrap and, like Ron, their work was also flawless.
The Uber driver only had $10K worth of coverage and the repairs came in about $2K over that amount.
In addition, I ended up filing a depreciation claim with the insurance company ($4.8K) and it was 100% approved as well -- I just got the check yesterday (yes, it took a while but it was worth it).
I have attached some pictures of the final repair.
I would like to thank everyone on this thread for their help. I would not have been able to get the results that I did without all of your advice!

ralphwg (03-11-2019)