Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Brake Pad Question (the auto parts websites are clueless) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/brake-pad-question-auto-parts-websites-clueless-220022/)

Reverend Sam 07-03-2019 06:53 PM

Brake Pad Question (the auto parts websites are clueless)

I have a 2010 XKR.

I'd like to replace my rear brake pads. Some of the websites show two individual square(ish) pads for each caliper. Others show one normal looking brake pad. Some of them show BOTH the square pads and the normal pads. .

What the heck am I supposed to order? My current brake pads are incredibly dusty. I don't race or anything, so I'd prefer less dust over awesome performance.

Cee Jay 07-03-2019 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam (Post 2093801)
I have a 2010 XKR.

I'd like to replace my rear brake pads. Some of the websites show two individual square(ish) pads for each caliper. Others show one normal looking brake pad. Some of them show BOTH the square pads and the normal pads. .

What the heck am I supposed to order? My current brake pads are incredibly dusty. I don't race or anything, so I'd prefer less dust over awesome performance.

I bought these, but evidently the price increased a bit. WAY less dust and I don't notice any degradation in braking force at all. Maybe even a bit more bite.

https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/P...field%20Brakes
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...df6a5a65ee.png

jagtoes 07-03-2019 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam (Post 2093801)
I have a 2010 XKR.

Might look at these. Akebono Online Parts Catalog

Reverend Sam 07-04-2019 07:37 AM

Yep... that's why I'm confused. The ones on the Akebono website are oblong, while the ones Cee Jay posted are square.

The Akebono website doesn't specifically show XKR brake pads, it just shows XK brake pads. I assume there's a difference?

jagtoes 07-04-2019 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam (Post 2093970)
Yep... that's why I'm confused. The ones on the Akebono website are oblong, while the ones Cee Jay posted are square.

The Akebono website doesn't specifically show XKR brake pads, it just shows XK brake pads. I assume there's a difference?

I would say they are the same mounting size. The tabs look the same and the pads are slightly different. It refers to the 380mm fronts so I would believe the rears are the same XK - XKR. I believe the difference is between the XK and XKR front brakes and then there is the Alcon package which is their own set. Try looking up Jaguar dealer OEM pads for the 2010-2015 XKR /XK and see if the rear pads are the same.

neilr 07-05-2019 02:12 AM

This has come up quite often here - Akebono are popular your side of the pond but they are not available for the 5.0 XKRs (380mm/376mm discs).

The front and rear pads are not the same as those for the XK or the 4.2 XKR, which iirc are the same.

The Akebono EURO1095 pads look like the ones for the 4.2 cars.

Original pads are from ATE:

ATE 13.0460-7209.2 (as Akebono EURO1095?)
VIN to B32752 (4.2 XKR)
Width 123,0 mm
Height 52,0 mm
Thickness 16,6 mm

ATE 13.0460-7255.2
VIN from B32753 (5.0 XKR)
Width 122,0 mm
Height 64,1 mm
Thickness 15,8 mm

TRW do a ceramic pad but I have no idea if they are any good - TPC1449.

Russ9898 07-05-2019 02:47 PM

Hi,

Could anyone suggest the correct part numbers for front/rear wear sensors on a 2009 5.0 XKR?

Appologies for jumping on the thread but seemed daft to start a new one.

Thanks,

Russ

u102768 07-05-2019 04:37 PM

Front = C2P12722
Rear = C2D2976

Russ9898 07-06-2019 01:26 AM

Perfect, thank you very much for that.

For anyone in the UK who is interested, I have managed to pick up a full set of TRW discs and pads along with wear sensors for £360 from Autodoc, on top of that I will also get 10.5% cashback from Top Cash Back bringing the overall price to just over £320.

Everything I have read has told me that TRW are rebranded Lemforder parts 🤞

neilr 07-08-2019 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Russ9898 (Post 2094755)
Perfect, thank you very much for that.

For anyone in the UK who is interested, I have managed to pick up a full set of TRW discs and pads along with wear sensors for £360 from Autodoc, on top of that I will also get 10.5% cashback from Top Cash Back bringing the overall price to just over £320.

Everything I have read has told me that TRW are rebranded Lemforder parts 🤞

TRW disc are no doubt fine. The standard GDB1963 pads are a bit average. They work but are not a patch on the Jurid originals. On the TÜV brake tester, the TRW pads only produced about 60% of the original Jurids brake torque values. They needed more pedal pressure to work and were grabby and creaky when coming to a stop. I went back to the originals as soon as I found a set on offer.

TRW is an old US components firm that was bought out by ZF, who also own Lemförder, in 2015. Some components probably overlap but does the Lemförder brand do brakes - I don't believe so - mainly doing suspension stuff. Most TRW components are usually top-notch though, the current range of Spanish-produced base pads seeming to be an exception.

Brutal 07-08-2019 08:31 AM

God akebono suck! I have had two customers have me install them in years past and both had me take them off and go with ebc red, and 1 back to oem.
I just changed my ebc red to yellow compound and even better than the reds that i have used for years on everything i own or drive.

neilr 07-09-2019 04:59 AM

I tried the EBC Redstuff on my S-Type but found them unimpressive. Rather weak cold and average warm. OK -bit less dust. I like the grippy Jurid pads that Jaguar have as OE (compound codes 233 and 310). The rest are OK - usual ATE stuff which is more than adequate.

Are the yellows any better from cold than the reds??