Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Can I get an easy to understand straight answer? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/can-i-get-easy-understand-straight-answer-204846/)

Andrew 07 XKR 07-12-2018 08:14 PM

Can I get an easy to understand straight answer?

Hi guys!

I have an '07 XKR with a Mina Gallery cat back exhaust system and supercharger pulley. I want it to be louder without loosing performance and without spending to much money. What is the best way to achieve this? Please keep your answers novice level or whatever is below novice.

I realize I am opening myself up for ridicule but I think I can handle it! LOL Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks for your input!
Andrew

JagV8 07-14-2018 09:20 AM

Posting in the right section may help :)

Norri 07-14-2018 09:25 AM

One problem solved anyway.

GGG 07-14-2018 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew 07 XKR (Post 1928506)
..... I want it to be louder without loosing performance and without spending to much money. .....

Open a window. :icon_lol:

Graham

Norri 07-14-2018 09:40 AM

Won't that affect the aerodynamics?

Ranchero50 07-14-2018 10:07 AM

Well, with the windows open you can let it all hang out. Isn't that the definition of loosing?

To the OP, change the cats to a lower cell count per square inch. Just be wary of what you ask for. I would not do 200 cell cats, maybe 400's. Stock is a 600 cell module and 400 cell module in an inline configuration (in one housing) with the after cat o2 between the cells.

Stuart S 07-14-2018 10:47 AM

You can make it a lot louder by installing an exhaust cut-out on each side. They're available with either manual or electric control of the butterfly valve that redirects the exhaust flow to an open pipe, bypassing the downstream exhaust components. If installed before the catalytic converter, resonator, and muffler (silencer), when opened the noise will be deafening and unbearable (and you and your installer probably will be in violation of both state and Federal noise and air pollution laws). Search Amazon for "exhaust cut-outs".

If you want louder and faster, buy one of these:
Top 10 Fastest Motorcycles In The World 2018 - New World Updates

Cee Jay 07-14-2018 04:34 PM

OR, drill some holes in the pipes in a few locations. Not loud enough, drill more holes or make the holes larger.

jackra_1 07-14-2018 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S (Post 1929418)
You can make it a lot louder by installing an exhaust cut-out on each side. They're available with either manual or electric control of the butterfly valve that redirects the exhaust flow to an open pipe, bypassing the downstream exhaust components. If installed before the catalytic converter, resonator, and muffler (silencer), when opened the noise will be deafening and unbearable (and you and your installer probably will be in violation of both state and Federal noise and air pollution laws). Search Amazon for "exhaust cut-outs".

My understanding is that In some States just having the cutouts is illegal.

I have 200 cell cats installed including a front resonator delete with a x-pipe substituted and my exhaust is not obnoxious at all, in my opinion.

It still might be illegal in MA which is where I will end up by the end of the year.

steve_k_xk 07-15-2018 11:15 PM

very simple
Ditch the two resonators on the mid pipe and get your muffler shop to either weld in a H or X Crossover pipe

Andrew 07 XKR 07-16-2018 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S (Post 1929418)

If you want louder and faster, buy one of these:
Top 10 Fastest Motorcycles In The World 2018 - New World Updates

I've already owned #7,#6 and #5 on that list of bikes. Put four into one pipes on all of them. I know bikes, I don't know cars. Having fun getting educated though. Just a little challenging due to the amount of douche' comments like, wind down your windows etc...
Stuart, thank you for your feedback regarding cut outs. I'll start getting educated on them now!

Andrew 07 XKR 07-16-2018 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk (Post 1930188)
very simple
Ditch the two resonators on the mid pipe and get your muffler shop to either weld in a H or X Crossover pipe

Ive heard welding in a H or X its kinda a crap shoot as far as potentially loosing horsepower. I want more volume but not at the expense of performance.

mosesbotbol 07-16-2018 06:54 AM

Decats or reduced cell count cats will make it louder. Removing the center resonator will also make it louder.

steve_k_xk 07-16-2018 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew 07 XKR (Post 1930217)
Ive heard welding in a H or X its kinda a crap shoot as far as potentially loosing horsepower. I want more volume but not at the expense of performance.

You do realise the xkr-s is not only louder but has an extra 50hp

Unsure where this myth of adding a H or X pipe would actually decrease power.

steve_k_xk 07-16-2018 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 1930306)
Decats or reduced cell count cats will make it louder. Removing the center resonator will also make it louder.

wouldnt go any less than 400 cells
100s and 200s can be brutal

Tervuren 07-16-2018 11:36 AM

If you are cat back then the next step is the cats...

You could also remove the panel in the rear trunk over the spare tire, that blocks a lot of noise.

mosesbotbol 07-16-2018 11:46 AM

My experience on the XK and Aston is if you open the exhaust up too much, you lose too much back pressure and suffer on low end torque. The engineered exhaust companies find the balance.

Andrew 07 XKR 07-16-2018 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 1930437)
My experience on the XK and Aston is if you open the exhaust up too much, you lose too much back pressure and suffer on low end torque. The engineered exhaust companies find the balance.

Changing the cats wouldn't change the back pressure would it?

What about putting cut outs right in front of the mufflers, would that change the back pressure?

Thanks for your feedback. I'm so new at this car stuff!

-Andrew

Queen and Country 07-16-2018 12:16 PM

With due respect.
You will look like a douche if this luxury car was any louder.
Its designed to be an understated car, its overstated in its soundproofing!

Andrew 07 XKR 07-16-2018 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country (Post 1930454)
With due respect.
You will look like a douche if this luxury car was any louder.
Its designed to be an understated car, its overstated in its soundproofing!

Thats a risk I'm willing to take. I am pretty sure Jag purists wouldn't appreciate what I have already done to this beautiful piece of automotive engineering...