Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can a new XK/XKR be derived from the proposed new XJ

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Default Can a new XK/XKR be derived from the proposed new XJ

Elsewhere on the Jaguar Forums website, I came across the following rendering of the the new XJ due in 2019. It is obviously following BMW's 4-door coupe concept of the 6 series 4 door. It think it's stunning and will make a worthy replacement.

Might there be a new XK/XKR model derived from it. I'd love to see one and think a shortened lowered 2 door version would be great.

What do you think?
Jaguar XJ to Be Reinvented as Hybrid Luxury Saloon - JaguarForums

Old 03-21-2016, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Not to bad , kind of like the big MB style. Way out of my size class for my need but looks like a good family sedan.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,158 Likes on 3,090 Posts

To me it doesn't look mean or angry nearly enough. Too pedestrian.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Sorry guys- there wont be an XK anytime in the next decade. I am telling you, save the XK's you have now. They were indeed one of a kind, something that celebrated British design of yore and had every modern technology.

I'll explain in a separate post, so as not to distract from this. 2. quick points, Ian just confirmed in a film released to public, the XK came with a burden too heavy to carry any further- the association to the Etpye. 2. this handsome XJ would further eliminate any need for a 2 door Grand Tourer. Because there is no market for that, the Ftype fulfills that role and sadly most want saloons. Panamera was one of Porches more successful models. They sell way more of the 4 door maseratis than coupe.

Also Jaguar has reached its maximum output capability with what they have now. I think you are looking at the next XK.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

P.S. the ONLY way they can bring the XK back is to let it become a little bit of a Legend. Which if it does, will be nice for us. But I have to be a bit of a wet blanket and point out that the art of being a man is just dying, if not dead. We have gone from a gent enjoying his own saddle and room where he was treated like a king, to androgynous uber ride sharing and indignity of AirB&B. Its a different world.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Please note, that render is a dressed up drawing of an existing Jaguar XJ. Its not anything from Jaguar.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

XK concept drawn by a kid.
If they made this car they would never sell another Ftype EVER. And frankly parking our XK next to it would not make the old XK look out of place. The Ftype would look like a crude joke with its needlessly disruptive lines.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Jaguar should do an XJ coupe, but make the XK an XK!

Remember the rumor of Jaguar doing a retro styled XJ for Asian market, based off the looks of XJ350? Whatever happened to that?

Old 03-22-2016, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Jaguar should do an XJ coupe, but make the XK an XK!

Remember the rumor of Jaguar doing a retro styled XJ for Asian market, based off the looks of XJ350? Whatever happened to that?
Coupes are the problem M. Porsche is to blame. To everyone's surprise, even their own, the Panamera outsold all other Porsche cars, and the SUV outsold them all. This from a company known exclusively for coupes. You cant un-invent knowledge, everyone wants to make the next Panamera, you saw Maserati doing the same.

Here is an excellent writeup from a reviewer I know. Three-Cylinder Engines and the Return of the Straight-SixDue to stricter fuel economy regulations, Jaguar’s current 3.0-liter supercharged V-6 engine will fade away after 2016. In its stead, Jaguar will bring out a more efficient and more powerful Ingenium inline-six, and we think it could be turbocharged. Jaguar’s long hood and large dash-to-axle ratio make its cars ideal candidates for the straight-six, and since this type of configuration is part of Jaguar’s history, the automaker is happy to bring this engine back into the family.

Meanwhile, look for global Ingenium inline-three-cylinder engines on the Evoque, Discovery Sport, XE, and F-Pace. Although it will take some time, it could one day be offered in the XE here in the U.S.

Saying Goodbye to the XK?

Thanks to the success and popularity of the F-Type, Jaguar is holding back on introducing a car to replace the aging XK. To make sure it won’t compete with the F-Type, a future XK won’t be a thoroughbred sports car. Instead, it will likely focus more on luxury and less on sport, taking a cue from the old XJ Coupe but updated to compete with the Mercedes-Benz S-Class Coupe, Bentley Continental, and Rolls-Royce Wraith. Does the Jaguar brand have the cachet to compete with these luxury stalwarts? We’ll have to wait and see. Of course, none of this matters if Jaguar decides to scrap the future XK altogether, which is also a possibility.
Meanwhile, the halo sports coupe role will be filled by the upcoming 600-plus-hp F-Type SVR. If you haven’t already checked out our Jaguar F-Type SVR Making 600 HP in the Works” target=”_blank”>coverage of that upcoming model, click here.

More Versions of the XE, Including a Powerful XE R

Since the XE is expected to become Jaguar’s volume model, why not milk it a little bit? The XE will spawn a coupe, wagon, and possibly, a convertible variant. On top of that, an XE R should make between 485 and 510 hp and will compete with the Audi RS 4, BMW M4, Cadillac ATS-V, Lexus RC F, and Mercedes-AMG C63. Since Jaguar’s V-6 and V-8 engines share the same block, we know a 5.0-liter supercharged V-8 will fit under the hood if a V-6 can.

Jaguar Considering a Large SUV?

Yes, but it all depends on the success of the F-Pace. If Jaguar decides to build a larger SUV, the company must then decide if it wants to use the JLR modular vehicle architecture or base it off the Range Rover or Range Rover Sport. We suspect they’ll choose the former. Assuming it gets the green light, it will bear the name “J-Pace,” borrowing the “J” from the XJ sedan, and offer three rows of seating. Complementing the J-Pace, a smaller E-Pace could also work below the F-Pace.

The Timeline

As far as auto show rollouts go, expect the F-Pace to debut this year in Frankfurt and the next model in the Discovery family for Geneva or New York in 2016. In terms of when products will show up in dealerships, the recently revealed XF will launch in the U.S. this winter, followed by the XE in spring 2016. The F-Pace will arrive right on the heels of the XE.

All About Land Rover: Evoque Convertible, Defender

Just like its Jaguar sibling, Land Rover isn’t ready to rest on its laurels. The company has confirmed the Evoque Convertible, and we expect it to debut at the 2015 Los Angeles Auto Show this November. Unfortunately, we’ll have to wait a lot longer for the Defender. From what we know, the new Defender’s exterior pays appropriate homage to the long-running nameplate, and thankfully, looks nothing like the DC100 concept that debuted a few years back. We’re also told everyone who’s seen the SUV says it’s fabulous. Considering JLR likes previewing big models under concepts with different names, it’s likely we’ll see a Defender Concept in some form in the near future. Our guess? Geneva 2016.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

this new xj drawing looks good, it seems they may update shocks seeing so little room between wheel and body. much better than actual xj.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Coupes are the problem M. Porsche is to blame. To everyone's surprise, even their own, the Panamera outsold all other Porsche cars, and the SUV outsold them all. This from a company known exclusively for coupes. You cant un-invent knowledge, everyone wants to make the next Panamera, you saw Maserati doing the same.
Porsche should release a Panamera coupe and possibly a shooting brake version (4 door). The Panamera looks awful from the side. Front and rear look great. The interior, fantastic; the side.... Did the designers 10 year kid pen that part? The design is perfect for a large two door like a S class coupe.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

hopefully the hood does not move with the wind and speed, this is what I got with the 84k xk.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

XK concept drawn by a kid.
If they made this car they would never sell another Ftype EVER. And frankly parking our XK next to it would not make the old XK look out of place. The Ftype would look like a crude joke with its needlessly disruptive lines.
What the f**k, what a car, where's the link to theses pictures of this concept. But we'll never see it and the xk is dead,
There Will Be No Jaguar XK Successor, Land Rover Won't Chase Bentley ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

We still need a GT not a roaster like the f-type

Old 03-24-2016, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by powerhouse
What the f**k, what a car, where's the link to theses pictures of this concept. But we'll never see it and the xk is dead,
There Will Be No Jaguar XK Successor, Land Rover Won't Chase Bentley ?*News ?*Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

We still need a GT not a roaster like the f-type
Mate I said the same thing- its the most beautiful car I have seen. Would take it over any current car. A 15year old kid in Thailand drew it. Something to be said about the untainted perspective of a young mind. Ironically this kid gets the essence of a Jaguar more than Jaguar.

he has also captured the proportionality and poise of an e-type/ XK, which is missing from the Ftype.

Yes we can see it again- carbon fiber widebody kit. food for dreams.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:47 PM
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

The most money I have ever spent on a car was my mercedes GL550 and GL450. I could justify spending 90K and 77K, respectively, because I NEEDED a big SUV for a family car and even a chevy or ford with leather and all the features I wanted was pushing 60-70k already so why not get a luxury car. The Panorama did the same thing for people needing/wanting a nice family sedan but also can justify a Porsche. It proved car manufacturers can make way more money making sedans and suvs than gt or sports cars.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Mate I said the same thing- its the most beautiful car I have seen. Would take it over any current car. A 15year old kid in Thailand drew it. Something to be said about the untainted perspective of a young mind. Ironically this kid gets the essence of a Jaguar more than Jaguar.

he has also captured the proportionality and poise of an e-type/ XK, which is missing from the Ftype.

Yes we can see it again- carbon fiber widebody kit. food for dreams.
The problem, is that government regulations of multiple countries have to be taken into account. For example, for "pedestrian safety", some countries have laws placing limits on how far bodywork has to extend past certain internal components, this way, the body dents in, instead of connecting with something solid internally.

Crash and safety regulations are now at odds with fuel efficiency regulations requiring better aerodynamics. Designers are *very* boxed in if they want to make a car for global production.

Attached Thumbnails Can a new XK/XKR be derived from the proposed new XJ-19646325665.jpg  
Old 03-25-2016, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tervuren
The problem, is that government regulations of multiple countries have to be taken into account. For example, for "pedestrian safety", some countries have laws placing limits on how far bodywork has to extend past certain internal components, this way, the body dents in, instead of connecting with something solid internally.

Crash and safety regulations are now at odds with fuel efficiency regulations requiring better aerodynamics. Designers are *very* boxed in if they want to make a car for global production.
This kid has smarty designed the car for the pedestrian to safely go over the car and become the next guys problem.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Can't say I am the biggest fan in the trend of shrinking side view windows. Becoming more like turrets. I want everyone to see my smile as I drive by and then marvel at the exhaust melody.