Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Car is dead !!! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/car-dead-250985/)

jbmi 09-08-2021 12:55 PM

Car is dead !!!

Drive it daily, but it did sit for 3 days over Labor Day,
Car has new battery, Fob has new battery,
Got in it today and it's dead, nothing works, door locks, trunk, nothing.
Checked the battery and it shows 98%,
Am I missing something ?

gkubrak 09-08-2021 01:03 PM

Reset the battery and cross your fingers

jbmi 09-08-2021 01:13 PM

How do you do the reset ?

gkubrak 09-08-2021 01:20 PM

Disconnect the negative terminal and wait a minute for all capacitors to discharge. Then reconnect it.

Cee Jay 09-08-2021 01:43 PM

Stick the 'fob' into the Dead Slot in the back end of the center console, see if that helps.

guy 09-08-2021 09:37 PM

as my colleagues have stated. Tell me, do the cabin lights come on when you open the doors?

jbmi 09-09-2021 07:17 AM

No to the lights, no to the Key fob in the counsel, can't get at the battery because the tops down. Headed over to the local shop that works on Jag's this AM.

miles61 09-09-2021 09:02 AM

I've had this happen on my 07 several times, it's like there is a battery relay that is not closing, but I'm not sure. if I disconnect the battery and reconnect everything works again.

George05 09-09-2021 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by jbmi (Post 2437811)
No to the lights, no to the Key fob in the counsel, can't get at the battery because the tops down. Headed over to the local shop that works on Jag's this AM.

jump start it , points under the hood

Cee Jay 09-09-2021 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by George05 (Post 2437944)
jump start it , points under the hood

Actually, the jump points are under the rear left side, behind the left rear wheel.

George05 09-09-2021 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 2437946)
Actually, the jump points are under the rear left side, behind the left rear wheel.

I am sure they are , how ever the ones under the hood would be a tad better to get access to

Cee Jay 09-09-2021 02:03 PM

My old X100 2000 XK8 had points under the bonnet, my 2010 XKR X150 does not.

jbmi 09-09-2021 06:48 PM

Went to my local shop that has worked on it before, told me to disconnect both battery terminals and touch the + & - cables together.
Said that will clear and reset the problem.
From the readings I've done here, I've read you should not disconnect the battery as you'll lose your programming and require them to be reloaded.
Sort of lost right now.

Cee Jay 09-09-2021 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by jbmi (Post 2438106)
Went to my local shop that has worked on it before, told me to disconnect both battery terminals and touch the + & - cables together.
Said that will clear and reset the problem.
From the readings I've done here, I've read you should not disconnect the battery as you'll lose your programming and require them to be reloaded.
Sort of lost right now.

The ONLY settings you will lose are your window calibrations. Oh, and a possibility of losing a trip odometer zero.
Window recalibration takes maybe ten seconds to accomplish.
If you have read any quantity of the forums in here, you'd see that a Hard Reset is the go-to fix for most electrical problems.

pk4144 09-09-2021 08:33 PM

I'm with CeeJay:

- you're lucky, in that your 2010 XK has an old-school keyslot on the trunk. That will allow you to pop the trunk.
- On your left, there's a kinda flimsy plastic grill thingy about six inches by nine inches. Remove it.
- shine a light in there, you'll see a single threaded post. that's the place to clip the POSITIVE (red) jumper cable.
- you can clip the NEGATIVE jumper clamp to your tailpipe. I've done it several times. Works great.
- if you're properly connected to a strong battery, two things should happen immediately:
- if your door is open, the interior lights should come on... and your alarm may go off. The car was locked when the battery died. (And you couldn't open your doors before, you should be able to now.) Press unlock on your key fob, that should shut it off.

That should work. If it doesn't, then the issue goes beyond battery. And even if it does work, these are big engines and it takes a lot of juice to crank them over. Rev the other car's engine for five minutes or so while the cables are hooked up. That should do it.

pk4144 09-09-2021 08:38 PM

And as for losing presets... you're worried about losing your 16-way seat presets? Your HD radio settings? On your Jaguar?
Those, my friend, are what the rest of the world calls One Percent Problems...

Stuart S 09-09-2021 09:43 PM

jbmi,

As mentioned above, the positive (+) remote battery terminal is located behind this plastic cover in the left side of the trunk.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...175efa1adc.jpg

Remove that cover to reveal the positive (+) remote battery terminal. Note that it extends through the bottom of that fender well, and is visible if you look under the car. You can attach your positive (+) battery charger cable or jumper cable either inside the trunk or under the car, whichever you prefer. Shown here with my red positive alligator clip to my battery maintainer.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...05ad4b37b6.jpg

You have a 5.0L 2010 XK Convertible. Do not attach the black negative (-) jumper cable directly to the battery negative (-) terminal, as doing so can damage the Battery Monitoring Module that was introduced with the 5.0L models. Instead, that negative cable should be attached directly to a chassis ground. The factory remote negative battery terminal is located in the spare tire well, and that's what I used for my battery maintainer as shown here.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...966f5b1c6d.jpg

Any "good" chassis ground will do, including the tailpipe as pk4144 mentioned above.

Stuart

Cee Jay 09-09-2021 11:27 PM

There is also a Positive Battery Connection on the UNDER side of the car, directly below the in-boot location, it's covered by a rubber boot and difficult to miss if you're looking for it. Ground is wherever you can find one, but preferably not painted nor bonded.

shemp 09-10-2021 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by pk4144 (Post 2438155)
And as for losing presets... you're worried about losing your 16-way seat presets? Your HD radio settings? On your Jaguar?
Those, my friend, are what the rest of the world calls One Percent Problems...

I replaced my battery before. Disconnected, took about 15 minutes to reconnect, only had to do window reset. Radio presets survived, seat presets survived. I did the Idle reset procedure but not sure I had to.

and you never really "lose" the current seat preset. Once the new battery is in, the seat hasn't moved. If you want, at that moment, just set the memory preset again.

jbmi 09-10-2021 07:12 PM

Chapter 3,
Had to raise the top manually to get at the battery, (pretty simple and easy)
Battery showed 98% charged, disconnected both + & -, touched both cable ends together, then reconnected. Nothing happened, zero, zip, nada !
Tried it again, but no touching, still nothing. This is what I was told to do by the garage, and some posters on here.
Hooked up the charger again, (not directly to the batter, but how my battery tender is hooked up) While the charger was running, again showing 98% I heard a clicking sound coming from the fuse box located under the hood in front of the steering wheel, almost like something was trying to click on., Turned the charger off, clicking stopped.
Have made an appointment at my local garage for the week of the 20th, ( they are backlogged that far back) Will have to have it towed, We'll just have to wait and see.
Thanks for all the help and tips, maybe when this is fixed I can add to the knowledge of this site.