Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   This car has been a piece of s*** since day one (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/car-has-been-piece-s%2A%2A%2A-since-day-one-218807/)

Reverend Sam 06-06-2019 06:26 PM

This car has been a piece of s*** since day one

The headliner had to be replaced.
All four front parking sensors stopped working.
The electronic differential is giving me that stupid error message.
The TPMS sensor light comes on intermittently.
The lift struts for the hood had to be replaced.
The lift struts for the trunk are getting weak.
The damn air conditioner is leaking all over the floor.
The oil change guy broke that tube next to the oil filter.
AND TODAY A RADIATOR HOSE BURST!

I floored it to pass someone on a 2 lane road. About 30 seconds later the low coolant light came on. I already had Torque up and running so I started to watch the coolant temp. It was doing fine. It was in the low 190s. I thought the little patch I made in the coolant pipe by the oil filter had come off.

I was 8 miles from home at this point.

I kept watching the coolant temps. When I stopped at intersections the temp would creep up, but that's what it always does. As I got closer to my neighborhood the temps were staying higher than normal. When I turned into the neighborhood Torque told me the coolant was 217. When I pulled into my garage it was 224.

I quickly turned off the engine. The fan kept running, which never happens. I popped the hood and pulled off the cover. The little patch I made on the pipe was fine. Then I noticed a puddle of coolant spreading out on the floor. I apparently popped a hose when I floored it. I looked to see if I could tell where the coolant was coming from, but with the supercharger and all of the ducting it's impossible to tell. I'm going to have to get it towed to the dealer.

Oh yeah... I had all four TPMS sensors replaced today. The light came back on while driving home, so it must be a problem with on of the receivers in the wheel well.

Reverend Sam 06-06-2019 06:28 PM

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention that I got a speed sensor error while driving to the mountains last weekend. It did a hard reset which cleared it up. It happened again on my way home, so I installed a brand new battery on Sunday.

1 of 19 06-06-2019 07:20 PM

Gotta love them Jags.

Cee Jay 06-06-2019 07:25 PM

Wow, dude, you got a bad one. I've had zero bad (other than one injector) in six years.
Guess maybe that LSD Fault that you first saw was an omen?

dsd 06-06-2019 09:02 PM

RevSam,

I feel you. Take a deep breath and maybe leave the car untouched for a day or so.

Then consider your two options:
1 - Fire sale the car and cut your loses
2 - Start tackling problems from most to least serious and get the car up to your standards.

Not an easy decision, but I’m sure you will do what’s right for you.

Best!
dsd

Reverend Sam 06-06-2019 09:11 PM

Right now I could only sell it to a junkyard. It's not driveable.

Unfortunately, I have a meeting 2 hours away tomorrow morning. I won't be able to get it towed to the dealer until late afternoon. I was planning on driving the XKR to the meeting, but that's obviously not going to happen now.

Reverend Sam 06-06-2019 09:12 PM

Sorry to do this, but I'm going to start another thread about this specific problem. This thread was more about all of the issues. I need some advice about the specific coolant loss issue. I hope the moderators won't mind.

Stuart S 06-06-2019 11:00 PM

Sam,

I realize that this is a dubious honor, but your experience with your Big Cat is of epic proportions and wins this trophy for First Place in the disaster category.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...72cd0bc9d2.jpg

With all the aggravation you've been through, I thought you could use a little laughter. Seriously, it's just a car and money; it's not your health.

Stuart

P.S. You might have some legal recourse against the seller depending on the Lemon Law in your state and the representations made by the Seller. As I recall, your sister is a lawyer, so you may want to check with her. See: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ar-is-a-lemon/

dsd 06-07-2019 06:06 AM

I feel your pain, see:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...y-tale-176883/

After all that, the XKR was totaled and I got the X150.

Deep breath :/)

Ranchero50 06-07-2019 06:43 AM

This is an awesome title for a rebuild thread. :)

Seriously, just work this out how yo'd eat an elephant. One bite at a time. Do some triage and don't blow your budget on the nice to haves. Expect the first 6 months to be a great learning experience (or a miserable paying experience).

It'll be ok, even if you can just look at the car.

Canadacat 06-07-2019 07:29 AM

Hate this thread as I am a new owner as well ( 4 months) . I have put a thousand miles on mine with little issues but I am always waiting and watching as it is 12 years old .

Good Luck maybe after this coolant thing ( hopefully minor ) you get years of trouble free driving.

SinF 06-07-2019 07:47 AM

Driving potentially without coolant is all-around bad news. These engines are very sensitive to overheating. Also, if you rapidly lose coolant and air bubble forms around sensor it no longer offers true temp reading.

80sRule 06-07-2019 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam (Post 2081500)
Right now I could only sell it to a junkyard. It's not driveable.

Unfortunately, I have a meeting 2 hours away tomorrow morning. I won't be able to get it towed to the dealer until late afternoon. I was planning on driving the XKR to the meeting, but that's obviously not going to happen now.

Hmm, where are you located again?

This post is like a few bad months with my x100 and x308, and the newer cars are interesting to me.

Brutal 06-07-2019 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam (Post 2081447)
The headliner had to be replaced.
All four front parking sensors stopped working.
The electronic differential is giving me that stupid error message.
The TPMS sensor light comes on intermittently.
The lift struts for the hood had to be replaced.
The lift struts for the trunk are getting weak.
The damn air conditioner is leaking all over the floor.
The oil change guy broke that tube next to the oil filter.
AND TODAY A RADIATOR HOSE BURST!

who hasn't had a dropping headliner in hot and humid climates or after years. I MEAN ALL CARS, NOT JUST JAGS

front park aid sensors>>>broken wire behind the bumper cover where it runs below the right headlight. gets chaffed or broken when flexing(hitting) the bumper cover on steep inclines. pull cover and repair and reroute

diff error,>>>try changing fluid like everyone else does

tire pressure fault>>> is the module behind the back seat. replace and program when the TPMS have good batteries and air pressure(yes you can update software but I have too many times it doesn't work so a module it is)

lift struts>>when they squeak never spray them with WD40 etc, wipes em out. they don't last forever on any car

air conditioner leak>>we all know they do eventually until fixed

tube broken on oil change>>>yeah we already discussed that too. even though its close I think he used channel locks and not the housing tool because you really don't even touch it with the tool unless you're just ham fisted.

radiator hose burst?>>> did it, or blow clamp off? again its 9years old, shit happens I don't see any of this as overly problematic. Even Toyota repair shops are FULL of Toyotas needing repair too :)

Cee Jay 06-07-2019 09:54 AM

My TPMS would light up every once in awhile, then I reprogrammed the TPMS module in SDD and haven't had even a flicker of a light in three months.

tberg 06-07-2019 10:20 AM

The fact that you drove 8 miles without the temperature changing significantly would lead me to believe that you didn't have a major coolant hose break or you would have lost coolant and pressure so rapidly that engine temp would have risen almost immediately. As one who has had 4 water pump replacements on my 2010 including three this year alone, I'd also suspect the water pump first and a plastic nipple here or there second. I'm sure pressure testing will expose the culprit and you'll be on the road in no time.

Beau M 06-07-2019 10:22 AM

I feel ya.

So many issues so far.

:( :(

Canadacat 06-07-2019 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by tberg (Post 2081746)
The fact that you drove 8 miles without the temperature changing significantly would lead me to believe that you didn't have a major coolant hose break or you would have lost coolant and pressure so rapidly that engine temp would have risen almost immediately. As one who has had 4 water pump replacements on my 2010 including three this year alone, I'd also suspect the water pump first and a plastic nipple here or there second. I'm sure pressure testing will expose the culprit and you'll be on the road in no time.

I am not so sure of this the temperature sensor gauges fluid and if their is no fluid it won't read as high.

Reverend Sam 06-07-2019 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by SinF (Post 2081671)
Driving potentially without coolant is all-around bad news. These engines are very sensitive to overheating. Also, if you rapidly lose coolant and air bubble forms around sensor it no longer offers true temp reading.

I have two gallons of coolant slowly drying on my garage floor right now, so I didn't run it out of coolant.

mosesbotbol 06-07-2019 12:49 PM

When a car switches owners there are always things that need addressing. Doesn't sound so bad after reading @Brutal post.