Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ceramic pads installed all around

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts
Default Ceramic pads installed all around

One of my most anticipated upgrade to my newly purchased 2010 XK has always been to replace those nasty OEM brake pads with ceramics.

I felt the excessive dusting was over the top for me with my 20 spoke 19" wheels needing cleaning almost every day. As previously noted on different threads, Akebono does not make front pads for my car, only rears.

I went with Centric Posi Quiet Ceramics on the fronts (105.12400) and Akebono EUR1095 on the rears. Please note, that I had the install today, so this is an initial review.

As mentioned, the main purpose was to reduce brake dust and I was anticipating (from some previous reviews) a spongy brake feel with some loss in stopping ability.To the contrary, I am extremely pleased with how well the car stops.

The brake feel is actually somewhat more linear without that sometimes annoying unintentional grabbing. Of course there is NO MORE CREAKING which is another plus.

I've only driven maybe 15-20 miles, so I cannot report on brake dust, however my original pads would have my wheels nicely coated by now which I don't see. For all those thinking about the change, go for it as it makes driving the car that much more enjoyable without the extra wheel maintenance.

Of course I am talking about members who do not take their car to the track. I will report back as I put more miles on the car.

Last edited by JimC64; 05-07-2014 at 08:54 PM. Reason: PLEASE CREATE LINE BREAKS AS ABOVE!!
The following 3 users liked this post by bocatrip:
bobdr1 (02-27-2014), Bruce M. (02-27-2014), Schwabe (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
One of my most anticipated upgrade to my newly purchased 2010 XK has always been to replace those nasty OEM brake pads with ceramics. I felt the excessive dusting was over the top for me with my 20 spoke 19" wheels needing cleaning almost every day. As previously noted on different threads, Akebono does not make front pads for my car, only rears. I went with Centric Posi Quiet Ceramics on the fronts (105.12400) and Akebono EUR1095 on the rears. Please note, that I had the install today, so this is an initial review. As mentioned, the main purpose was to reduce brake dust and I was anticipating (from some previous reviews) a spongy brake feel with some loss in stopping ability.To the contrary, I am extremely pleased with how well the car stops. The brake feel is actually somewhat more linear without that sometimes annoying unintentional grabbing. Of course there is NO MORE CREAKING which is another plus. I've only driven maybe 15-20 miles, so I cannot report on brake dust, however my original pads would have my wheels nicely coated by now which I don't see. For all those thinking about the change, go for it as it makes driving the car that much more enjoyable without the extra wheel maintenance. Of course I am talking about members who do not take their car to the track. I will report back as I put more miles on the car.
Sounds good. Did you have to BED in the pads? Also did you install them or did a shop install them. I was wondering how you backed out the rear pads with the e-brake system. Good luck

Old 02-27-2014, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Sounds good. Did you have to BED in the pads? Also did you install them or did a shop install them. I was wondering how you backed out the rear pads with the e-brake system. Good luck

I had my reliable independent shop do the install. Jaguar wanted too much money. He didn't have the tool for twisting the rear calipers but was able to install them anyway. I'm not sure what he used. I believe the tech worked a little over an hour. I've had ceramics on my previous car (G35 Coupe) and didn't do anything special to Bed the pads. I am driving just as I always do, but have tried a few aggressive stops to see how the car responds. I also have the advantage of having 4 brand new rotors.

Last edited by bocatrip; 02-27-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:03 PM
Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

did you replace rotors?

Old 02-27-2014, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bobdr1
did you replace rotors?

Rotors are new but many owners have gone to ceramics with their existing rotors.

The following users liked this post:
bobdr1 (02-28-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Keep us in the loop. I'm curious about whether or not ceramics cause rotor warpage.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Keep us in the loop. I'm curious about whether or not ceramics cause rotor warpage.
I have used ceramic pads in Audi's (noted for OEM black issues) , Ferrari's and even on my Lexus. No problems with performance or rotor warpage.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I am waiting next brake job. Replaced the rears pads with OEM, but the rotor was borderline needing replacing. Figure when the fronts need to be done; just do the whole thing with OEM rotors and whatever Ceramics I can get (Akebono being first choice).

Old 02-27-2014, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

I've been running the EBC Yellow Stuff and they are 100% better then stock.. No noise, almost no brake dust, and the bite is incredible.

I installed them on the without replace or resurfacing my rotors in a lathe, although I did scuff them with emory paper to remove any old brake pad material.

Warped rotors are a myth, if they were truly warped the car would vibrate on or off the brakes. That warped feeling is typically pad material left on the rotor when the are overheated. Below is a great article that explains this.

-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

Last edited by MaximA; 02-28-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:56 AM

where did you buy your pads from?

Old 02-28-2014, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

FYI, I run the EBC yellows on my performance enhanced mustang and find them, considerably, better than stock. When I get my XKR and the need arises, I'll go for the EBCs if available.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

I tried to buy then of EBCs site but could not find them. So I went to CarID and they had them. I also just found out that I have EBC distributor beside my alignment shop that sales to the racers. So I'm going by there next time I'm near the track.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RedRider48
FYI, I run the EBC yellows on my performance enhanced mustang and find them, considerably, better than stock. When I get my XKR and the need arises, I'll go for the EBCs if available.
Glad to hear the same from someone else. I can feel them over heat a bit from repeated ~120MPH hard stops but they cool quickly. I may go up one level in pads to see how they feel.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bobdr1
where did you buy your pads from?

RockAuto Great Prices. Cheaper than tire rack. First time I used them.

The following users liked this post:
bobdr1 (03-01-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 07:45 PM

did you get your rotors from rockauto? if so which rotors did you buy? thanks

Old 05-06-2014, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA
I've been running the EBC Yellow Stuff and they are 100% better then stock.. No noise, almost no brake dust, and the bite is incredible.
I'm on yellow stuff as well, with limited runs on which to play with them.
It is obvious they need to be brought up to temp, as cold bite requires a more solid effort on the pedal. My casual around town drives barely get them working comfortably.
I'm looking forward to heating them up this summer and seeing how well they handle mountain driving, which is why I bought them.

As you say, they seem to be very dust free, but dust is by far the least important reason I choose a pad...

-Vince

I'm also running new Stop Tech slotted(all 4) & Cryo (front) rotors

Last edited by CleverName; 05-06-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Hi,
I'm running a HP mustang and have road racing experience. BTW, I awaiting the arrival of mine first ever XKR.
I understand there are multi- grades of the EBC line.
Why would one not start with the first level/grade to learn the effects on their type and style of driving?

Old 05-07-2014, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member

Hi,
I'm running a HP mustang and have road racing experience. BTW, I awaiting the arrival of mine first ever XKR.
I understand there are multi- grades of the EBC line.
Why would one not start with the first level/grade to learn the effects on their type and style of driving?
Go take a look at the EBC web site . They give you a little description on what the GREEN , YELLOW or RED stuff pads are like and what they should be used for. I found using the YELLOW on my Ferrari took a little more warm up time meaning harder peddle pressure when cold. After that they were great but the down side was more wear on the rotors. That was my observation but It was with a rear engine car. It may act differently with a front engine set up.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Hi, BTW, I awaiting the arrival of mine first ever XKR.
I've noticed that you have been waiting a very long time for the delivery of a 2008 XKR. Just curious and you may not want to answer, but what is the history of the car and why such a long wait for delivery?

I am sure the anticipation of delivery is exciting.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Go take a look at the EBC web site . They give you a little description on what the GREEN , YELLOW or RED stuff pads are like and what they should be used for. I found using the YELLOW on my Ferrari took a little more warm up time meaning harder peddle pressure when cold. After that they were great but the down side was more wear on the rotors. That was my observation but It was with a rear engine car. It may act differently with a front engine set up.
And there will always be a tradeoff between pads and rotors.

The harder the pad, the more wear on the rotor and there may be changes in the performance of the friction between the pad and the rotor.

The softer the pad he less wear on the rotor, more wear on the pads which also affects coefficient of friction/stopping ability, brake dust which becomes statically charged due to the friction and sticks to everything including your wheels.

I would suggest going with the combination that gives the best performance for the particular application - ie, mostly street driving, track, etc.

I found that when I used the EBC Redstuff ceramics on my 07 XKR they squealed like a stuck pig when I got into stop and go traffic. I am having the same issue now with the ceramic pads and CCM rotors on my DBS.

Quick Reply: Ceramic pads installed all around