XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Changing rear Alcon rotors ‘08 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 08:01 AM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Changing rear Alcon rotors ‘08 XKR

So I’ve have searched the forums and really haven’t found anything as to how to remove the Eparking brake assembly from the rotor. I am familiar with the caliber removal but is there something I need to know specifically on how to remove E-parking brake assembly.

My rotors are heavily scored so I have a replacement set of Eurospare identical rotors. I am also installing Kevlar/carbon pads all the way around from Porterfield R4-S their Street version of racing pads.

I just need to know about any quirks / tricks there may be with that parking brake removal / reinstall procedure.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-29-2018, 10:26 AM
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

No sure about removal but if not a very deep lip, think about having them professionally skimmed then you can renovate the centres by painting. My experience is that the aftermarket 'copies' are utter rubbish. They might look the same but if you look on the expensive originals, on the edges there are notches. This is for balancing due to the large diameter.
The aftermarket ones don't have this and can suffer with vibration!!

As the rears don't brake much, really suited to a Refurb, any good manufacturing shop can professionally skim them especially if they skim heads! Not usually a lot. Not much material is removed so usually will keep the crescents intact. Not sure of the cost of OEM rears but the fronts are £1,200 so should be good!

Old 04-29-2018, 11:46 AM

I do understand the use of machining the old rotors as I have always done this in the past as well as working in a brake shop in my earlier years. However, there is over .025 of lip top and bottom both sides. So new rotors are in order.

I need to know about removing the e-brake parking caliber on these cars and the quirks or newonceses associated with removing and reinstalling the parking brake caliber

Attached Thumbnails -image.jpg  
Old 04-29-2018, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by ‘Oleguy
I do understand the use of machining the old rotors as I have always done this in the past as well as working in a brake shop in my earlier years. However, there is over .025 of lip top and bottom both sides. So new rotors are in order.

I need to know about removing the e-brake parking caliber on these cars and the quirks or newonceses associated with removing and reinstalling the parking brake caliber
Ah shame not enough meat left then! Sorry can't help with removal as not had to do that yet with my Alcon's. Good luck but still be wary of cheap alternatives!

Old 04-29-2018, 03:05 PM
Default E- Parking brake caliber removal? 08 R wAlcon

Are there any procedural steps that are of pertinent info to know about this parking brake system removal and reinstall?

Old 04-29-2018, 03:43 PM

If you search the net for x150 workshop manual PDF , I think it's on jagrepair.com for free and should be the instruction in there as it's 4000 pages.

Old 04-29-2018, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,159 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Although I have never even seen Alcon brakes, I'd suppose you'd release the E-Brake and pull the rotor off after the caliper is removed. Are Alcons vastly different from regular brakes?

Old 04-29-2018, 04:01 PM

Yes assume just bigger rotors and bigger calipers but I would have thought the parking brake would be much the same. Worth just seeing if the manual pics match up and go from there.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:37 PM

I’m pretty sure it’s the same parking brake as that is on the Non-Alcon cars. I don’t think there is a difference in parking brake...but I could very well be mistaken.

Does just unbolt like the caliber and lift off the rotor?

Last edited by ‘Oleguy; 04-29-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I'm thinking the OP is looking for the procedure for removing the cable from the e-brake caliper. I recall somewhere in this form someone who had don a rear brake job and described how to remove the cable and also how to reset it after replacing the rear pads. The manual I believe tell you to set the E-brake using the Jaguar computer to the retracted position then remove the cable with a special tool. Also there was a warning of making sure you put the shift lever in N before doing the job and also removing the neg. battery cable. The caliper removal should be straight forward and so should be the removal of the rotor. I think with the Alcon calipers all you need to do is push in the pistons as opposed to using the twist and turn method. Try the search function and see what comes up.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,159 Likes on 3,090 Posts

...................... I am also installing Kevlar/carbon pads all the way around from Porterfield R4-S their Street version of racing pads. ...........
Same pads I just bought, though have not yet installed.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:46 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Pistons on the park brake calipers screw in, I've only ever used SDD to recalibrate the park brake so that's the only thing I can suggest.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's anything like an X350 you should be able to just release the handrake. Then disconnect the battery with the car in park. Then remove the handbrake calipers, wind in the pistons, fit the new pads.

Then once its all bolted back together again, refit the battery and pull the handbrake up to engage. Then dis-engage and engage it a couple of times and it should work fine.

The following users liked this post:
‘Oleguy (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

I know that SimonXJ & jahummer have retrofitted these brakes so maybe PM to one or both of them might be helpful.

‘Oleguy (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 06:26 PM

Guys I an not looking to replace the pads in the parking brake. I just want to remove the assembly so I can replace my rotor and hydraulic caliber pads.
And I just don’t understand how a parking brake pad can wear out in these cars. You put car in park while holding foot on brake, pull up Pbrake lever, release your foot off brake pedal exit car...I mean the pads never or should never see wear.
Stepping on and holding brake pedal while engaging Pbrake is only to hold car till the Pbrake gets engaged. Am I missing something...?? I confused !?

Old 05-02-2018, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

IIRC, and I might be wrong, but I think there was a TSB or something for the Brembo parking brakes on the S-Type R & XJR where they wouldn't fully disengage properly and would lead to excessive parking brake pad wear. Not positive if it also applied to the XKR, but the parking brake calipers were almost identical in form and function so it's a distinct possibility. I'll see if I can find the related threads & post a link

‘Oleguy (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by m1keh
If it's anything like an X350 you should be able to just release the handrake. Then disconnect the battery with the car in park. Then remove the handbrake calipers, wind in the pistons, fit the new pads.

Then once its all bolted back together again, refit the battery and pull the handbrake up to engage. Then dis-engage and engage it a couple of times and it should work fine.
Correct

I've changed the Alcon rotors on two separate vehicle

Attached Thumbnails -screenshot_2018-05-02-22-45-32.png  
Old 05-04-2018, 10:19 AM
Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

I echo m1keh & Steve_k_xk's statements above. That's how I've always done it.

‘Oleguy (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 11:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys I an not looking to replace the pads in the parking brake. I just want to remove the assembly so I can replace my rotor and hydraulic caliber pads.
And I just don’t understand how a parking brake pad can wear out in these cars. You put car in park while holding foot on brake, pull up Pbrake lever, release your foot off brake pedal exit car...I mean the pads never or should never see wear.
Stepping on and holding brake pedal while engaging Pbrake is only to hold car till the Pbrake gets engaged. Am I missing something...?? I confused !?
even if fitting a new disc you would need to wind the pads in... but on an 04 xj I did the parking brake pads had started to deteriorate and the friction material was falling off the pad back. So I would replace them just for piece of mind for the cost of them.

‘Oleguy (05-04-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 06:08 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I had a non-Jaguar workshop do the pads on the rear of my XJR (with Brembo's, same park brake arrangement as Alcons) a while back, the guy wound the park brake pistons all the way in and the park brake calibration got screwed up and the park brake jammed on, the only way to release it was with the SDD diagnostic tool, so be careful!

Quick Reply: Changing rear Alcon rotors ‘08 XKR