Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Checked out a 2012 XKR yesterday...hmmm

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Checked out a 2012 XKR yesterday...hmmm

Found it at a Benz dealership in Orlando. Mileage almost 21K. Price $48,900. White coupe with black roof? Never saw that before.anyway looked good, drove well. Got me to thinking, so many people on the forum drive sparingly and put so few miles annually, I wonder how the XKR is as a daily driver? Anybody doing that?

Old 06-20-2017, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Stepping up to a newer XKR? Great color combo. What was the interior color? I'd rather do white with navy top.

The following users liked this post:
chazaroo (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

I drive mine when I don't need to haul dogs or stuff. I took the wife to see Guardians of the Galaxy last night, I made it a 45-mile round trip by purposefully taking the LONG way because I LOVE driving my XKR. My 2010 just went over 63,000 miles and each one was a total HOOT!
The only reservation I have about driving is that I will NOT park it in a poor location... I need to be at least ten spaces away from any other car, preferably at least one side against a curb or otherwise non-parkable area, and not near any heavy cross-traffic. I've never had a problem, and intend to keep it that way.

chazaroo (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 11:31 AM
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I probably wouldn't buy it:

1) It's a New York/Long Island car. I'm from the area originally, and the roads are unforgiving there. Based on the mileage in the CarFax history, looks like the car never drove in the winter.

2) Check if the CPO warranty from 2014 is still active. CPO warranties are supposed to pile on additionally to factory, so it should still be active until next year. If no CPO, get the Merc dealer to drop the price considerably. I bought my 2012 XKR with 26K miles for 45K with CPO from Jag Orlando.

3) Some pretty critical components seem to have been replaced earlier on in the car's life, which is both good, but may also be a concern. Use that to your advantage in the price.

chazaroo (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Stepping up to a newer XKR? Great color combo. What was the interior color? I'd rather do white with navy top.
Interior was sort of off white with red piping. Never saw a coupe before with a two tone exterior. All the coupes I've seen have had one color exteriors.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ArnoldKay

1) It's a New York/Long Island car. I'm from the area originally, and the roads are unforgiving there. Based on the mileage in the CarFax history, looks like the car never drove in the winter.

2) Check if the CPO warranty from 2014 is still active. CPO warranties are supposed to pile on additionally to factory, so it should still be active until next year. If no CPO, get the Merc dealer to drop the price considerably. I bought my 2012 XKR with 26K miles for 45K with CPO from Jag Orlando.

3) Some pretty critical components seem to have been replaced earlier on in the car's life, which is both good, but may also be a concern. Use that to your advantage in the price.
Not sure about the CPO, but I thought the price was high and it's an Auto Nation no haggle price place.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ArnoldKay

Also, when did you by yours?

Old 06-20-2017, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Well looking at the Carfax, the car has had the ECU replaced twice and checked 3 more times since so there is an issue with it.

That alone would spook me as it's being done at Jag dealerships. They are not want to just swap parts.

chazaroo (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 01:31 PM
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by chazaroo
Also, when did you by yours?
April 2016.

Ring up Jaguar of Orlando and have them run the VIN. They will tell you if it has CPO/Select Edition extended warranty.

chazaroo (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
Well looking at the Carfax, the car has had the ECU replaced twice and checked 3 more times since so there is an issue with it.

That alone would spook me as it's being done at Jag dealerships. They are not want to just swap parts.
Wow, don't know why I didn't catch that. Thanks!

Old 06-20-2017, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by chazaroo
Interior was sort of off white with red piping. Never saw a coupe before with a two tone exterior. All the coupes I've seen have had one color exteriors.
Oh, it was a coupe.... odd with black roof. Are they doing a Lotus "black pack" to it? It may be just a sticker, no?

chazaroo (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 01:47 PM
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts

Daily driver since purchase here. The past two weeks and four days have been the best automotive experience in my life and I can now die a happy man. As I mentioned in the 650i vs. XKR thread, the XKR has an amazing duality about it- around town, it's as threatening as a Camry, but if you want to go, it will GO. It's a monster if you want it to be, but you won't have to set the cruise control between lights to stay out of jail.

The downside is that you'll develop parking anxiety. Like Cee Jay said- you'll be much more selective in your parking spots. Partially to protect the car and partially so that you'll have a longer time to stare at it as you walk towards it.

chazaroo (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Oh, it was a coupe.... odd with black roof. Are they doing a Lotus "black pack" to it? It may be just a sticker, no?
Doesn't appear to be laminate. Never saw one like it before... and not sure I like it.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mandrake
Daily driver since purchase here. The past two weeks and four days have been the best automotive experience in my life and I can now die a happy man. As I mentioned in the 650i vs. XKR thread, the XKR has an amazing duality about it- around town, it's as threatening as a Camry, but if you want to go, it will GO. It's a monster if you want it to be, but you won't have to set the cruise control between lights to stay out of jail.

The downside is that you'll develop parking anxiety. Like Cee Jay said- you'll be much more selective in your parking spots. Partially to protect the car and partially so that you'll have a longer time to stare at it as you walk towards it.
I'm familiar with parking paranoia. I had it with my last three XKs. As for the XKR Ive test driven two so far and they were both the automobile version of Jekyll and Hyde. Driving in traffic, the XKR is calm and sophisticated. Put your foot down and it turns into a monster. Gotta love it! When I finally buy one, I must remember to get a traffic attorney on retainer.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Both my X100 XKR and my X150 XKR have been my daily drivers. When I passed 160,000 miles on my X100, I decided to go looking for an X150. I bought my 2010 about 4 years ago and now has about 135,000 miles on it. Both cars look nearly new, the X150 has been much, much more reliable.

The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
chazaroo (06-21-2017), Sean W (06-20-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:11 AM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I drive mine when I don't need to haul dogs or stuff. I took the wife to see Guardians of the Galaxy last night, I made it a 45-mile round trip by purposefully taking the LONG way because I LOVE driving my XKR. My 2010 just went over 63,000 miles and each one was a total HOOT!
The only reservation I have about driving is that I will NOT park it in a poor location... I need to be at least ten spaces away from any other car, preferably at least one side against a curb or otherwise non-parkable area, and not near any heavy cross-traffic. I've never had a problem, and intend to keep it that way.
Mine is a daily driver AND a vehicle magnet. Like yourself, I try to park far away from the crowd. It's a 50-50 shot at walking out of the car, glancing waaaaay up on the horizon where I'm parked, only to discover some asshat in a Subaru has nestled up against me. It's maddening at times, but so far no damage has resulted from the magnetic properties associated with my XK.

The following 2 users liked this post by LoudHogRider:
Cee Jay (06-21-2017), chazaroo (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I park next to the shopping cart returns and so far no drama.

chazaroo (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
Hope they aim for the cart corral and not the Jag's tail end...LOL!

chazaroo (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:54 AM
Received 231 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by LoudHogRider
Mine is a daily driver AND a vehicle magnet. Like yourself, I try to park far away from the crowd. It's a 50-50 shot at walking out of the car, glancing waaaaay up on the horizon where I'm parked, only to discover some asshat in a Subaru has nestled up against me. It's maddening at times, but so far no damage has resulted from the magnetic properties associated with my XK.
Originally Posted by Ranchero50
I don't make too much of a conscious effort to avoid door dings, but these posts remind me of a time a couple years back when I took my kids out to a park to fly their kites. Parking lot was completely empty, and as we're walking back to the car, we see a car circling around, and the lady driving decides out of a hundred empty spaces to park in the one right next to my car. She gets out, and the wind catches her door so that it smacks into mine. We're still quite a way out, but I see her waiting for us, so I figure she's waiting to apologize or offer to pay for the ding or something. When we finally get there, it turns out she just wanted to ask if she was in the right park for a picnic she was headed to. I look at her car's door still resting on mine, and she obliviously says, "Oh, it's okay, they're just touching."

I weighed a couple of different responses, but with my kids in tow, I decided the best course of action was to just inform her she was in the wrong park completely and send her across town.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:35 PM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I wonder if the black roof may have been a wrap? I would be wary if it was painted. hail damage or other? it could be factory but I have never seen that scheme.

did you drive the car? did you enjoy the brutish nature of the car...unexpected in such an elegant cat.

chazaroo (06-21-2017)