Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Convertible Top Disfunction - 2007 XK! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/convertible-top-disfunction-2007-xk-138505/)

phillip.blaha 03-10-2015 07:54 PM

Convertible Top Disfunction - 2007 XK!

Well it all started when I installed a new battery! After disconnecting the original battery (de-energizing the car's electrical system) and installing a new Interstate battery. I tried to open the top, the system disengaged the front latches and the top started moving to the rear ..... at that point everything stopped. Tried the "Convertible Top Manual Re-Set" procedure as outlined in the owner's manual. Put the top completely down manually, with exception of the tonneau panel latches engaging. Anyone experienced a similar problem? If so, have any recommendations?

BlackX300VDP 03-10-2015 08:17 PM

Too bad you didn't set the windows before moving the top. The driver and passenger windows need to be initialized after any battery disconnect and before anything else. The procedure is basically, close the doors, start the engine, make sure the windows are all closed. Pull up on the drivers window switch for 10 seconds (should hear a slight click in the door) put the window down, hold down on the drivers window switch for 10 seconds (should hear a slight click in the door). Make sure the window is set by allowing the one touch up to work by pulling up all the way on the switch and releasing. The window should go all up on its own. Repeat for the passenger side.

Now the windows are set you must put the top into the well under the boot lid and put the lid back down. After that, tighten the release valve on the pump, make sure the luggage separator is in place properly, and close the trunk lid.

Get in the car and activate the top. I usually try the open position first and watch the lid tighten down. Then completely close the top until the windows go back up.

Should be all set then. It's a PITA if the sequence isn't done right. I've done it so many times, I'd probably be able to do it asleep.

Keep the battery fresh with a small battery tender. I put them in a few cars.

WhiteXKR 03-10-2015 08:30 PM

+1...that should do it.

This is the most common question I run into when people reconnect the battery after installing the remote top.

phillip.blaha 03-11-2015 12:56 PM

Conv Top Disfunction - Problem Solved!

Mark,

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my call for assistance! And, for the solution! I set the windows (up and down positions) with the convertible down (did that manually) and pushed the top down button until the tonneau panel latches locked. Then I pushed the top up button and all went well except the rear windows didn't close? Cycled the top once more and the rear windows operated properly! Did several conv top open - close cycles, all good! Thanks again for the help!

On another note, when I set the window positions, I heard the click very quickly ....... like a second or so. Didn't experience the 10 second wait you described?

Phillip

BlackX300VDP 03-14-2015 08:11 AM

Yes, the click happens fairly quickly but in case you don't hear it, I recommend holding the switch in the position for 10 seconds. I think Jaguar officially stated 30 seconds but as long as you hear the click, that is all the time you need.

Nice job getting the top back in working order!

I have a friend of a friend that is always asking to reset the top since he doesn't drive the car often enough. I always recommend a battery tender on those cars.

jagtoes 03-14-2015 08:34 AM

Just a question here from one who has not needed to do a battery change yet. Before you remove the battery do you start to open top and stop when the rear lid opens up so you have top access to the battery. Is that the normal procedure. Also can you do a hot swap if you have a second battery with jumper cables hooked up to the rear jump points in the boot. Then if you just disconnect the battery and do a replacement is it just a matter of recycling the top and resetting the windows after the installation is complete.

BlackX300VDP 03-15-2015 09:27 AM

Personally, I don't recommend going after the battery through the top. Like you said, the back window has to be vertical and the lid has to be vertical then access the battery. Problem is when the system loses power, the hydraulics will not hold pressure anymore and the top and lid will go down.

I always access through the trunk.

As far as a hot swap. Never tried it but I don't think I would. In my mind, it is too complicated when all you need to do from the battery swap is set the windows and clock.

RedRider48 03-15-2015 10:49 PM

Hi,
I think the "hot swap" is doable, since the access to the battery post is accessible through the side panel on the left trunk side and you can ground through the bolt hub in the tire well area. Not sure I would try changing a battery dropping the top and accessing through the trunk lid. It's too simple accessing through the trunk opening and, as was mentioned earlier, the hydraulics are not reliable.

olkar 03-17-2015 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by BlackX300VDP (Post 1180334)
Too bad you didn't set the windows before moving the top. The driver and passenger windows need to be initialized after any battery disconnect and before anything else. The procedure is basically, close the doors, start the engine, make sure the windows are all closed. Pull up on the drivers window switch for 10 seconds (should hear a slight click in the door) put the window down, hold down on the drivers window switch for 10 seconds (should hear a slight click in the door). Make sure the window is set by allowing the one touch up to work by pulling up all the way on the switch and releasing. The window should go all up on its own. Repeat for the passenger side.

Now the windows are set you must put the top into the well under the boot lid and put the lid back down. After that, tighten the release valve on the pump, make sure the luggage separator is in place properly, and close the trunk lid.

Get in the car and activate the top. I usually try the open position first and watch the lid tighten down. Then completely close the top until the windows go back up.

Should be all set then. It's a PITA if the sequence isn't done right. I've done it so many times, I'd probably be able to do it asleep.

Keep the battery fresh with a small battery tender. I put them in a few cars.

BlackX300VDP I followed your steps but I still can't get the top nor the rear side windows to go down!!! The front windows will go up and down with 1 touch without issue but I still can't get the top to function at ALL once the top is completely lowered into the well, relief valve closed, luggage separator into position and the decklid closed!!!