XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Convertible Top Remote Install

Old 04-28-2017, 09:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Convertible Top Remote Install

I just bought the Convertible Top SmartKey Control Module from JagWrangler and they say that it's not extremely difficult to install. I downloaded and printed out the installation instructions (41 PAGES)...I haven't tried yet so I wanted to asked if anyone here has done it successfully. Was it difficult? Any recommendations??? Should I have a pro do it??? Please advise.

Thanks!!!

Old 04-28-2017, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

There are several members here who have successfully installed the controller themselves. Steve's instructions are clear and easily understood. If you should decide to DIY it allow 2 - 3 hours. Because of my age and 10 thumbs, I had my handy man install it in two of my verts. Additionally you should know that if you or the installer runs into any issues Steve (the Jaguar Wrangler) is just a phone call away and is extremely helpful.

No matter how you get it installed, you will find that it is a super accessory.

The following users liked this post:
blackjag2007 (04-29-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Quite a few members here, including myself, have installed it themselves, and a few had someone else install it.
Its not hard, other than folding yourself into the back seat.
You'll need to evaluate your ability to do it, but it is a great feeling of accomplishment to make 'your' car better. Best mod you can make to the car!

Old 04-28-2017, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts
Default Another Satisfied Customer!

blackjag2007,

For your convenience, below is a copy of my 7/20/2014 post #153: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-109235/page8/

I finally got around to installing Steve's kit since my wife abandoned me this weekend to go to her annual reunion with her college sorority sisters. First thing I did was to print the installation instructions - I was overwhelmed that they were 39 pages long! What did I get myself into??? My fears were unfounded.

My "Thanks" to Steve for a superb product with well-written instructions with photos. I am not a mechanic, but have lots of experience assembling toys for my grandkids so I figured I'd give it a shot. Bottom line is that everything works and I can't believe I did it all by myself!

If I can do it, anyone who knows which end of the screwdriver goes into the screw can do it. All you need is patience - and not too much arthritis!

I want to give you my thoughts about the installation that are not covered in Steve's instructions.

1. Make sure you use the latest version of the instructions, which (as of today) is Version 1.6. I mention this because I inadvertently used Version 1.5 and thought I had a problem but actually did not after emailing Steve.

2. Do the work in your garage on a cool day, and make sure to have a fan to blow air into the car while you're working. Keep a cold drink handy - you'll need it.

3. Give yourself as much room to work as possible in the back seat. After you use the electrical switches on the doors to move both seats/backs as far forward and up as possible, pull the chrome handle on the top of each seat back to make them flip forward. Remove the seatbelts from the loop holders on the seat backs to make it easier to get in and out.

4. Make it as as comfortable as possible in the back seat. After you remove the seats the surfaces are hard and uncomfortable so use a foam stadium seat or other cushioning. It's cramped back there and you'll be in some awkward positions at times, so some padding will help.

4. Put the small parts that you removed (bolts, nuts, etc.) in separate ziplock bags and label each bag to identify what they're used for to facilitate re-installation. Note: I didn't do this, and had all the small parts in the cup holder but I wasted time sorting through everything when putting it back together.

5. Take your time, follow the instructions step-by-step, and make sure that you tighten each posi-tap connector securely.

I actually had fun doing the installation, and am quite proud of my work! If I can do it, so can you!

THANKS AGAIN, STEVE!

Stuart

P.S. Since I had to remove the back seats, I took that opportunity to thoroughly clean and condition them. Although they didn't look bad before I started, I was surprised that my white rags got so filthy. There's more dirt on those seats than you think!

The following 4 users liked this post by Stuart S:
blackjag2007 (04-29-2017), LoudHogRider (04-30-2017), robtroxel (05-05-2017), u102768 (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 06:23 AM
Thumbs up I'll give it a shot

Originally Posted by Stuart S
blackjag2007,

For your convenience, below is a copy of my 7/20/2014 post #153: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-109235/page8/

I finally got around to installing Steve's kit since my wife abandoned me this weekend to go to her annual reunion with her college sorority sisters. First thing I did was to print the installation instructions - I was overwhelmed that they were 39 pages long! What did I get myself into??? My fears were unfounded.

My "Thanks" to Steve for a superb product with well-written instructions with photos. I am not a mechanic, but have lots of experience assembling toys for my grandkids so I figured I'd give it a shot. Bottom line is that everything works and I can't believe I did it all by myself!

If I can do it, anyone who knows which end of the screwdriver goes into the screw can do it. All you need is patience - and not too much arthritis!

I want to give you my thoughts about the installation that are not covered in Steve's instructions.

1. Make sure you use the latest version of the instructions, which (as of today) is Version 1.6. I mention this because I inadvertently used Version 1.5 and thought I had a problem but actually did not after emailing Steve.

2. Do the work in your garage on a cool day, and make sure to have a fan to blow air into the car while you're working. Keep a cold drink handy - you'll need it.

3. Give yourself as much room to work as possible in the back seat. After you use the electrical switches on the doors to move both seats/backs as far forward and up as possible, pull the chrome handle on the top of each seat back to make them flip forward. Remove the seatbelts from the loop holders on the seat backs to make it easier to get in and out.

4. Make it as as comfortable as possible in the back seat. After you remove the seats the surfaces are hard and uncomfortable so use a foam stadium seat or other cushioning. It's cramped back there and you'll be in some awkward positions at times, so some padding will help.

4. Put the small parts that you removed (bolts, nuts, etc.) in separate ziplock bags and label each bag to identify what they're used for to facilitate re-installation. Note: I didn't do this, and had all the small parts in the cup holder but I wasted time sorting through everything when putting it back together.

5. Take your time, follow the instructions step-by-step, and make sure that you tighten each posi-tap connector securely.

I actually had fun doing the installation, and am quite proud of my work! If I can do it, so can you!

THANKS AGAIN, STEVE!

Stuart

P.S. Since I had to remove the back seats, I took that opportunity to thoroughly clean and condition them. Although they didn't look bad before I started, I was surprised that my white rags got so filthy. There's more dirt on those seats than you think!
Thanks for the info Stuart...I think I'm going to give it a shot. Why not, I'm pretty handy. I did a lot of work on my 69 Benz and my 01 Boxster so I think this is worth a shot. If I run into a road block I'll reach out to Steve. Wish me luck, I will update after the weekend.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:29 PM
Received 230 Likes on 105 Posts

I just did mine several weeks ago, and as noted by everyone else, the instructions are really well done. The length of the instructions might seem daunting, but there's a lot of repetition, and once you get in the rhythm of tapping all the wires, it goes pretty quickly. The hardest part for me was squeezing in the back with the convertible top up and facing backwards to splice the wires. But even with a lot of breaks to stretch, it only took about 3 hours to do the job. It IS the coolest thing ever though once you're done.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:20 PM
Default Mission complete

Originally Posted by Simon Tan
I just did mine several weeks ago, and as noted by everyone else, the instructions are really well done. The length of the instructions might seem daunting, but there's a lot of repetition, and once you get in the rhythm of tapping all the wires, it goes pretty quickly. The hardest part for me was squeezing in the back with the convertible top up and facing backwards to splice the wires. But even with a lot of breaks to stretch, it only took about 3 hours to do the job. It IS the coolest thing ever though once you're done.
AGREED!!! It is the coolest thing ever! I completed my install today. It took me about 3hrs as well (and only because I had to go get a T40 and I read the instructions VERY slowly as not to miss a step). The directions were VERY well laid out and walked me through each step in full detail. I am extremely pleased with it and will recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade their drop top Jag. 2 thumbs up!!!!

Old 04-29-2017, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by blackjag2007
2 thumbs up!!!!
Congrats!
If I had 4 thumbs, they'd all be up for Steve's product!

Old 04-29-2017, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member

Congratulations, well done!!

Old 04-29-2017, 09:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have put one in three different Bimmers owned, now ready to do this one. The hugh amount of pages scared me, but thanks to all your recommendations, think I will order one for the 2013 XKR I got last week. Makes life so much more simple!

Old 05-05-2017, 05:07 AM
Received 69 Likes on 26 Posts

Another positive vote here, did mine in about 3 hours flat, instructions are very good and literally step by step and idiot proof, so long as you follow them.

As others have stated, moving around in the back of the car is the worst aspect of the whole job, but it is also interesting to see what's behind the seats and how it's all put together back there.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:54 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

The photo looks like the resistor only has one terminal on each end. Mine has two! Am I missing something?

Old 03-23-2019, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XK8 Comfort
The photo looks like the resistor only has one terminal on each end. Mine has two! Am I missing something?
Did you inadvertently post this in the wrong Forum? What photocare you referring to? This is the X150 Forum (2007-up XK/XKR) and your Public Profile shows that you have an X100 (1998 XK8).

Last edited by Stuart S; 03-23-2019 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:22 AM
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

you guys have talked me into doing this.....

Cee Jay (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 01:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Originally Posted by badicedog
you guys have talked me into doing this.....
I suggest you pay the bit extra for the rear windows option if you can. WELL worth the price.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:03 AM
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I suggest you pay the bit extra for the rear windows option if you can. WELL worth the price.
Absolutely...thx

Old 03-28-2019, 05:16 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I really enjoy mine. Paid to have it done, cuz I don't know the end of a screw driver, but was worth the 180.00 (90.00x2 hours). Not sure if I need a new keyfob battery, but I have to be within like 10 feet of the car for it to work. Just be sure to count your clicks inside the garage. That wouldn't be good.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Thank you to all of you on the forum who have recommended my product!

Even if you find the remote operation just a (pretty cool) novelty, feedback from many customers is that the one-touch button to operate the top in the car and the raised rear window capability to reduce wind noise make it worthwhile.

-Steve

Old 03-28-2019, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GhostRider9000
I really enjoy mine. Paid to have it done ... Not sure if I need a new keyfob battery, but I have to be within like 10 feet of the car for it to work. ...
Buy a 2-pack of brand name CR2032 batteries at your local store so you can check the date code and make sure that they're fresh. Keep one in your glove box as a spare and install the other one in your keyfob. It's easy and no programming is required. That way, you'll know that you have the maximum battery power in your keyfob. Then check how far you can be from your car to activate the remote top.

Now this is going to seem weird but I'm serious. Take two steps farther away from your car, face the car and hold your keyfob against your forehead while you press the buttons to activate the top. If it works, take 2 more steps and do it again. Repeat until the headlights don't flash and the top doesn't move. Let us know if that worked and, if so, how much farther away you got from your car.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member

+1 to both of the above posts.

Search this Thread