Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Coolant leak mystery

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
I was under the belief that if the leak is minuscule as in a few drops, even with a longer term pressure test, it will not show up as a drop in pressure in a coolant pressure test.
A typically accurate impression but if it's pinhole and been leaking for let's say 7 months, it will leave a stain. Exception might be if it's leaking on the the exhaust, but this is a simple test and worth a try.

The following users liked this post:
bocatrip (04-13-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Jagtoes...Does this procedure require much labor? I would consider taking my car to my independent to see if any coolant at all is weeping. I remember asking the shop foreman the last time I had the car in and he used a mirror to check it and said it was completely clean. This was from standing over the engine without taking anything apart. I would like to investigate the water pump further. What do you think? Is it a big deal to get closer to see if there is any evidence of leaking?
I suspect it should take no more then a half hour . It would take most of the time to put the car on the lift , remove maybe 20 screws/fasteners and drop the plastic cover. Then it's a matter of looking up at the WP and see if there is any antifreeze. Also when you drop the plastic belly pan if there is any sign of antifreeze you'll see it there.

The following 2 users liked this post by jagtoes:
bocatrip (04-13-2017), Sean W (04-13-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

When my water pump went a couple of months ago, I had no idea I had a problem. It was not losing any more coolant than now. I took the car in because there was a terrible rattling sound coming from what seemed like the supercharger, but which turned out to be a severely wobbling water pump. We replaced it, but I still smell antifreeze and have to add very slight amounts every two or three weeks, sometimes just drops, sometimes a cup or so.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

I just saw this... figure I'd add a little levity to the situation

Old 04-13-2017, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Picked up my XK today after the dealership was unable to locate any coolant leak.. I suggested paying for the water pump if the dealership would pay for the labor. I felt it could be done, but the head of operations discouraged me from doing so mentioning it would be a waste of money. He assured me that after checking out the water pump and weep hole there were no signs of leakage and the replacement pump could very well be worse than the original pump it was replacing. He encouraged me to watch my coolant levels and to bring the car in whenever I felt like to do as many coolant pressure tests as needed (no charge). My coolant loss is very minuscule and I'm not overly concerned at this time. I have over 3 years left on my warranty if needed. FYI....a water pump replacement through Jaguar including coolant and taxes is $700 and change which is not the end of the world. I'll keep my eye on my coolant level and see how it goes. Maybe another leak other than the pump will show up in the months to come. I'll keep the forum posted. Thanks everyone for all the imput.

Last edited by bocatrip; 04-14-2017 at 09:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bocatrip:
Sean W (04-13-2017), shemp (04-13-2017)