Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Covered under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts
Default Covered under factory warranty?

While hooking up my CTEK 3300 for the evening, I happened to notice on my Coupe's trunk weather stripping a section that is deformed and irregular. It's definitely a flaw in the rubber as nothing was ever touching it or could have caused this to happen. I know Jaguar covers trim items that are defective and was wondering if weather stripping if not worn would be covered. I'm sure this piece is not cheap to replace as it goes around the entire rear opening. Should I bother bringing it to Jaguar? I have a few weeks left on my warranty.

Last edited by bocatrip; 04-29-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
While hooking up my CTEK 3300 for the evening, I happened to notice on my Coupe's trunk weather stripping a section that is deformed and irregular. It's definitely a flaw in the rubber as nothing was ever touching it or could have caused this to happen. I know Jaguar covers trim items that are defective and was wondering if weather stripping if not worn would be covered. I'm sure this piece is not cheap to replace as it goes around the entire rear opening. Should I bother bringing it to Jaguar? I have a few weeks left on my warranty.
Any questions/issues that you think you might have......I would address with the dealer before the OEM warranty expires, even if it's the rubber moulding in the trunk.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

If you don't ask, you don't get. If you're a "regular" at your dealer and have had your car serviced there by the book, you're more likely to be successful for a warranty claim.

In my opinion, deformed weather stripping is not normal wear and tear, even in the hot Florida sun, particularly if your car is always garaged and has low miles.

Let us know what happens.

p.s. Don't tell the dealer that you use a CTEK 3300 - he might claim it damaged the weather stripping.

Last edited by Stuart S; 04-29-2014 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Added p.s.
The following users liked this post:
bocatrip (04-30-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
If you don't ask, you don't get. If you're a "regular" at your dealer and have had your car serviced there by the book, you're more likely to be successful for a warranty claim.

In my opinion, deformed weather stripping is not normal wear and tear, even in the hot Florida sun, particularly if your car is always garaged and has low miles.

Let us know what happens.

p.s. Don't tell the dealer that you use a CTEK 3300 - he might claim it damaged the weather stripping.

Unfortunately the CTEK chord going to the battery is sitting next to the spare tire unless I tuck it under. It's' obvious that the defect on the weather stripping could never be caused by the chord if they looked at it. However, you never know. I'll stop by and give it a try.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Unfortunately the CTEK chord going to the battery is sitting next to the spare tire unless I tuck it under. It's' obvious that the defect on the weather stripping could never be caused by the chord if they looked at it. However, you never know. I'll stop by and give it a try.
The CTEK 3300 cord will NOT damage the rubber moulding. There is enough of a gap for the cord to comfortably pass through the trunk WITHOUT creating any damage to the trunk rubber moulding. In fact when you open the trunk lid, there is never any marks/creases on the rubber that was created by the CTEK 3300 cord. The CTEK 3300 cord with the trunk lid closed does not have enough pressure on the rubber moulding to create any damage or possible damage.

Be totally transparent with the dealer. It should NOT be an issue by having a CTEK Smartcharger installed. After all, Jaguar sells the same CTEK charger only with their own logo and branding on the unit.

Let us know how you make out.

bocatrip (04-30-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

UPADATE: Jaguar will replace the hatch weather seal however it might look even worse when it's replaced. The seal comes in a small package wrapped very tightly. I was told that although they are more than happy to replace it, I might have an irregularity in another or a few other places because of the packaging. In addition, the seal holds the carpet/trim in place and if it is not just right, the trim might end up being lose. They also considered heating the one spot that has a high spot or even using some silicone glue to hold it back instead of ending up with a new seal that looks worse. They are ordering the part until I decide. Not sure how to proceed.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

It sounds like they are trying to FUD you - I could be wrong, they might just be speaking from experience. But "if it's not right" is not really a relevant argument - they need to do it right. One approach: wait until they get the part, get them to unwrap it & go & inspect it yourself.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
It sounds like they are trying to FUD you - I could be wrong, they might just be speaking from experience. But "if it's not right" is not really a relevant argument - they need to do it right. One approach: wait until they get the part, get them to unwrap it & go & inspect it yourself.

I happen to agree with you. Even if they have had issues in the past, it should be done correctly. The part is ordered and I should have it replaced next week. I'll keep the forum posted.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member

If the dealer is worried about "package creasing" the rubber, they need to take it out of the packaging and let it sit in normal temps so that any creases will come out of the rubber moulding.

This happens to lots of rubber and foam products after being packaged, but will comform to proper form once unpackaged and have time to rebound to normal form.

bocatrip (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
If the dealer is worried about "package creasing" the rubber, they need to take it out of the packaging and let it sit in normal temps so that any creases will come out of the rubber moulding.

This happens to lots of rubber and foam products after being packaged, but will comform to proper form once unpackaged and have time to rebound to normal form.

Good Point Richzak.