Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Is this covered under warranty? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/covered-under-warranty-155979/)

hughey 01-12-2016 05:12 AM

Is this covered under warranty?

I had my 2011 XK coupe in for the J056 non compliance recall yesterday, and I got a list of things that need attention from the service advisor. I got the rear brake pads replaced under warranty, but the service advisor said that nothing else on the list was covered. The front end alignment I had no doubts about, as that is normal wear and tear maintenance. Some of the other items I question, however. The car has 28,000 miles on the clock, so very low mileage for some of this it seems.

Air conditioner service refresh (noticed odor). $220
Power steering fluid exchange (fluid discolored). $255
Replace cabin HEPA filter (noticed odor). $122
Replace air filter. $141
Perform fuel injection service. $206
Perform throttle body service. $115

Does any of this seem reasonable for the age/mileage of my car?

As a side note, I got a new XF loaner and was pretty shocked at the cheapness of the interior. It did not feel like a Jaguar. I thought I was in an XE when I first got in it. The interior felt cramped, dash looked plastic, no wood anywhere, seat leather was stiff, etc... I just wasn't impressed and was very glad to get back into my XK last night.

jagtoes 01-12-2016 08:05 AM

I would believe this would be covered under your 4 yr/ 50K premium coverage. I believe all mileage fluid changes are covered . Go to the Jaguar USA site and check what is covered . I went to my dealer last spring for my yearly maintenance at 8K miles and they did oil , brake , coolant and PS fluid change along with new filters for no charge. I did have to pay $170 for wheel alignment.

Mikey 01-12-2016 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by hughey (Post 1380570)

Replace air filter. $141

Does any of this seem reasonable for the age/mileage of my car?

No. There's something very wrong. I doubt any of it will be covered by warranty and I doubt much of it was required in the first place. If you didn't ask for and agree to it, there's no reason for you to pay.

It can be argued that the air and cabin filters are scheduled mtce. but the prices they charged are pure robbery. $141 for an air filter?

I'd be screaming blue murder. :icon_mad:

This is a perfect example of why dealerships get such a bad name and get labelled ste*lersh*ps. :icon_mad: :icon_mad: :icon_mad:

Stuart S 01-12-2016 09:30 AM

The OP took his XK in for service yesterday, January 11. Although still within the 50,000 mile cap, the 4-year limit probably has already expired unless the OP's 2011 XK was first placed in service on or after January 11, 2012, which seems unlikely. The dealer has that in-service date, which is also available from CarFax and other sources.

Even if you're out of warranty, there's no harm in asking the dealer for a discount particularly if the car was sold and serviced by them and you've been a long-time customer. If you don't ask, you don't get.

Stuart

P.S. I posted the above before reading Mikey's comments. I agree with him 100%. Nothing worse than getting screwed and having no fun.

SeanU 01-12-2016 09:52 AM

All 2011 Jaguars are covered by the 5year/50k Platinum coverage : So if it was purchased after 1/12/2011 by the first owner, Air filters, fluids, brake discs and pads etc should all be covered. See page 2 here.

Edit : You should review the Platinum coverage in your owners manual. Brake fluid is covered, but other items may not be if not listed.

ndy.boyd 01-12-2016 10:38 AM

This is why my independent technician guy is at the top of my "bottle at Christmas" list. He has saved me some serious coin and his shop is as well equipped as any dealership I've been to.

hughey 01-13-2016 02:35 PM

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this. I have been bogged down at work. My car is under warranty for a few months yet. It expires in April which is why the brakes were covered and there was no charge. All of the other items were recommended, but when I asked, the service advisor said that none of them would be covered under the 5/50k warranty, which I thought was odd. Hope that clarifies the above questions. Still would like to know from someone here who is up on the warrantee coverage if any of the other items I have not yet had performed should be covered under warranty.

Mikey 01-13-2016 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by hughey (Post 1381568)
. All of the other items were recommended, but when I asked, the service advisor said that none of them would be covered under the 5/50k warranty, which I thought was odd.

Not odd at all. Out of all the tasks,

Replace air filter. $141

Only the two filters are recommended by Jag as part of scheduled maintenance. The remainder are 'recommended' by the dealer in order for him to make his monthly boat loan payment- at your expense. No OEM will pay warranty on dealer inspired 'while you're here' tasks. There's no reason whatsoever to do them on a routine basis. The fuel injector cleaning is borderline scam at best but a big profit driver for the dealer.

If your AC actually does have an odour, the can of stuff they spray in is about $7 and takes 5 minutes to apply. While you're at it, change the air filters yourself, about $30 total and another 5 minutes work.

I still think it's shameful that dealers operate this way and that Jag HQ doesn't step in to get them to back off. It tarnishes the corporate name of the marque.

Leeper 01-13-2016 05:46 PM

With perhaps the exception being Tesla this is how EVERY dealership operates . Their profits are not made on selling vehicles, actually very little profit is made there, rather they keep their lights on by charging ridiculous prices for their parts (I've seen prices as high as 50% OVER list) then parlaying that with charging "flag hours" on service ( a job that might only take 40 mins they can carge as much as 5 hours labor due to what the factory manual thinks it might take to resolve). Charging for replacing the cabin air filter... that takes MAYBE 3 mins. Fuel injector cleaning, total scam - get yourself some Techron or Seafoam its the same thing (with the exception of actually removing them and sending them in to a facility that actually cleans and balances them which is good to do after many miles).

Here's a realistic breakdown for you:
AC service to remove smell, like Mike said it is only a can of stuff like Lysol sprayed into the air intake while the AC is on... costs @ $8 takes a couple minutes
Power steering fluid exchange - completely unnecessary. Costs @$10 in fluid and takes probably 1/2 hour at most
Cabin air filter - costs @$27-49 takes at MOST 3 mins to replace
Fuel injection service - A can of Seafoam or Techron - not needed
throttle body service - total scam! There is no cleaning that happens. At best they will only spray the outside of the unit with carb cleaner the inner workings are sealed and coated so there is no cleaning that takes place.

"Ignorance has it's costs". There are many who do not have an issue with paying for this stuff, especially those who are on corp car allowances. Take Jag out of the picture as this is prevalent throughout the industry. They charge what they charge and you are perfectly within your right to decline. Does it suck.. yes, educate yourself on this practice and wherever else someone knows you have limited knowledge (cars, roofing, pool equipment, stock brokers, insurance, I could go on and on...)

jagtoes 01-13-2016 10:14 PM

Dealer service is usually done by the book. You can usually buy books that the dealer and shops use which gives the time to make repairs and different services. All factory dealer service centers have them . What they charge for an hourly rate is a different story and depending on the manufacture it swings from $90 and hour to $150 and hour which is dependent on their overhead costs. It's a business so these rates cover brick and mortar and salaries. Now if a tech comes up with a better and quicker way of doing something then they still charge you the book rate. Independents do the same except they have lower costs. Just because we do things and don't charge ourselves labor doesn't mean it was cheaper it means our labor isn't worth to much. When I had my old Ferrari I kept a spreadsheet of all of the parts and the time it took me to do the repairs. I figure I was slave labor even though I enjoyed doing the work. Just figure out the cost of an oil change. Time and mileage and gas to purchase the oil and filter. Cost of the oil and filter. Time to warm up the car then put it on a lift or up on jack stands. The depreciated cost of the jack , jack stands or lift. Time to drain the oil and remove the filter. If vacuum extraction then cost of unit. Cost of drain plug or washer. Time to pour in new oil . Time to put old oil in container . Take car down and clean up area and yourself. Time and mileage to take drain oil to recycle . That should pretty much do it so what is your labor rate. :icon_lol:

Mikey 01-14-2016 09:07 AM

I think it's reasonable to assume that an oil change at a Jag dealer will cost more than at a Hyundia or Kia dealer. Somebody's got to pay for all that mahogany and marble. Your description of the labour involved in doing the filter and oil itself makes sense.

The last time I changed my own air filter it took maybe five minutes which included opening/closing the drivers door and the hood.

The OP's dealer wants $141 for this task. That's obscene

jagtoes 01-14-2016 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey (Post 1382064)
I think it's reasonable to assume that an oil change at a Jag dealer will cost more than at a Hyundia or Kia dealer. Somebody's got to pay for all that mahogany and marble. Your description of the labour involved in doing the filter and oil itself makes sense.

The last time I changed my own air filter it took maybe five minutes which included opening/closing the drivers door and the hood.

Mikey that's what we all think but we always think our time is free or cheap. The question you need to ask is how much is my time worth. You forgot to count going to get the part , mileage , blah , blah , etc. My dealer just sent me a note that they have a special on my XKR oil/fliter change for $69. My toyota dealer is charging $110/hr and the Volvo dealer is at $125/hr. :icon_pimp:

jagtoes 01-14-2016 04:00 PM

Just as a for instance when I was working I was making about $80 an hour. That was the value the company put on me so naturally when I worked on my cars I thought I would be worth as much , hahahahaha. How much is your time worth even though you enjoy doing the work. :icon_lol:

Mikey 01-14-2016 04:08 PM

If we're going to count the time and mileage to go get the parts- the same applies to driving your car to the dealer, getting a loaner or sit around waiting, then driving home.

The OP had only two tasks that were due, according to Jag. The others were optional or obvious upselling. The two filters are about $40 locally or on Amazon. Time to change them is ten minutes- lets say driving to the FLAPS and back plus installation is rounded up to one hour.

Dealer wanted $263. to change both.

That's $223 left for labour. An hour of my labour is certainly worth me saving $223.

jagtoes 01-14-2016 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey (Post 1382302)
If we're going to count the time and mileage to go get the parts- the same applies to driving your car to the dealer, getting a loaner or sit around waiting, then driving home.

The OP had only two tasks that were due, according to Jag. The others were optional or obvious upselling. The two filters are about $40 locally or on Amazon. Time to change them is ten minutes- lets say driving to the FLAPS and back plus installation is rounded up to one hour.

Dealer wanted $263. to change both.

That's $223 left for labour. An hour of my labour is certainly worth me saving $223.

Yep I agree you need to add your travel time as expense. Now with my Lexus when it was new under warranty they came and picked up my car and left a loaner and the dealer was 1 hour away.
As to the dealer pushing for extras that's their job to stick you for more. No different when you go get tires and the guy comes back and says your brakes are worn.
Parts is always the other price inflater. In my old Ferrari days if you had a horse on the box you paid to much. I suspect the same with Jaguar so aftermarket is cheaper. By the way the distributor cap for my old Ferrari was $250 each and you needed 2. No aftermarket available.

GovtSlug 01-14-2016 09:11 PM

Just FYI, if you have an O'Reilly's Auto Parts store near you, they have our cabin filters for $9.99. Regular price.

XKOwner 01-14-2016 09:34 PM

If you're a DIY:

Do the oil change at home, get under the car, remove the wind deflector and drain the oil out. The jag dealership does this in 5 minutes by changing the oil filter which is on the top of the engine and then vacuuming out the oil. Make sure you use the correct oil that has the dye in it. I don't understand how vacuuming it gets all the junk out and how they charge the price they charge for it. If you don't care about vacuuming it out...you can buy the vacuum for around $100 yourself and do this all by yourself.

Wouldn't the air run through the HEPA filter? Why do you need both? What does this even do? Flush the Freon???

No comment

This is an expensive filter from what I remember so the price isn't "crazy" (if you get an OEM one) but you need zero mechanical experience to replace it yourself. Open hood if you're facing the car it's the top left closest to windshield, remove the plastic panel, filter is right below it...takes 5-10 minutes and requires no tools. If you avoid everything else I'd do this at least at home.

Replace air filter. $141
If you have a jack + jack stands, this can be done. You must remove the front driver tire, then need a set of torx screwdrivers to remove the wheel well...just take off the ones in the front, the air filter is behind this. Relatively easy if you have the tools and are willing to do it.

Should you be running any type of fuel injection service on your car without changing the gas filter after the fact? Wouldn't running a cleaner break up the junk in the system and then cause it to get into the filter? Sounds like it maybe a bad idea unless you're going to change the filter. Not sure how they go about doing this though

Perhaps?

XKOwner 01-14-2016 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey (Post 1382064)

XK's air filter requires taking off the front driver's tire and removing the wheel well cover to access the car's air filter.

Mikey 01-14-2016 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by XKOwner (Post 1382465)
XK's air filter requires taking off the front driver's tire and removing the wheel well cover to access the car's air filter.

Ah- wasn't aware. Maybe 1/2 hr. labour then?

XKOwner 01-14-2016 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey (Post 1382466)
Ah- wasn't aware. Maybe 1/2 hr. labour then?

Hahaha, would be dependent on whose doing it/tools available.

Regardless, you're mostly paying for the labor costs