Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Ctek MXS5.0 - RESOLVED (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/ctek-mxs5-0-resolved-194920/)

peterv8 01-08-2018 06:16 AM

Ctek MXS5.0 - RESOLVED

Bought a Ctek recently and it's on the car but I have a low buzzing sound from it when it's fully charged? I didn't here anything from my previous charger so is this normal for a Ctek?
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...c83affd32c.jpg

sov211 01-08-2018 04:23 PM

The buzzing noise on a CTEK unit means that the connectors are not fully seated ( I am referring to the orange/black connectors). Disconnect them and reconnect. I have had one of these units whose connectors did this quite often. It is not related in any way to the state of charge of the battery.

peterv8 01-10-2018 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by sov211 (Post 1821843)
The buzzing noise on a CTEK unit means that the connectors are not fully seated ( I am referring to the orange/black connectors). Disconnect them and reconnect. I have had one of these units whose connectors did this quite often. It is not related in any way to the state of charge of the battery.

New cable, still the same buzzing!?
Have sent an email to Ctek about it.

mij86 01-14-2018 06:19 AM

Mines now been on for 24 hours and I can confirm it is silent.

peterv8 01-14-2018 09:59 PM

Sent Ctek a message a few days ago but no answer yet, will call the store and hear what they say.

pdupler 01-15-2018 08:40 AM

I don't know about your specific noise, but it is concerning as mine don't seem to make any noise at all. I've got a few classic cars and been through a few different brands of battery maintainers. Early on, I had Sears Diehard units, the old technology ones that weighed as much as a brick. In 2008, I brought home a couple more cars and bought new Sears Diehard units that looked exactly like the old one but were light as a feather, new technology I guess. Anyway, a few days after plugging in I happened out to the garage when it was very quiet and I heard a battery boiling. The new Sears unit wasn't shutting off when the battery was "full". Luckily I caught it before any serious damage was done. I took the defective unit back to Sears and exchanged it. The very next day I went out to check on them again and I heard the "other" new Sears unit had started "buzzing" and I assumed that to be a sign that it was about to fail too. That was the last straw. I took both of them back to Sears for a refund.

I replaced them with the more expensive "Battery Tender" brand units. Both of those have since failed, but at least the Battery Tenders failed in the "off" position instead of failing full "on" like the Sears. I've since replaced with even more expensive CTEK units. I have four of them going although I haven't had them but a few months so I can't testify to their longevity. But I don't think I would use that one until CTEK responded. Good luck.

Stuart S 01-15-2018 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by pdupler (Post 1825671)
... I replaced them with the more expensive "Battery Tender" brand units. Both of those have since failed, but at least the Battery Tenders failed in the "off" position instead of failing full "on" like the Sears. I've since replaced with even more expensive CTEK units. ...

Why am I not surprised? I bought my last Battery Tender in 2010 based on all the positive Amazon reviews and price. It was marketed by Deltran Corporation of Florida and touted as designed in the USA (although it was made in China). It had a plastic case and overheated without any warning and melted the plastic case. Fortunately, it didn't cause my house to burn down. Worst customer service ever. I'll never buy another Battery Tender by Deltran brand product again.

+1 for CTEK. I've never had a problem with mine and it works as advertised.

See my Post #7 in this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...at-buy-155990/

BUY THE CTEK, GET THE KOENIGSEGG FOR FREE!
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...4d24e1a6a7.jpg

peterv8 01-18-2018 09:53 PM

Finally got a response from Ctek.
They said it's normal they make a low buzzing sound at different stages of charging. I noticed mine was silent in the morning but later in the day I could hear it again.

mij86 01-19-2018 02:22 AM

How old is your battery ?
wondering if its taking a lot of out of the Ctek?

peterv8 01-19-2018 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by mij86 (Post 1827775)
How old is your battery ?
wondering if its taking a lot of out of the Ctek?

Bought a new AGM battery end of summer.

mij86 01-19-2018 02:34 AM

Well that's that theory out the window.. just been out in the garage and listed to mine and it's completely silent temperature is currently -2.
Does yours fluctuate with the temperatures over there?

peterv8 01-20-2018 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by mij86 (Post 1827779)
Well that's that theory out the window.. just been out in the garage and listed to mine and it's completely silent temperature is currently -2.
Does yours fluctuate with the temperatures over there?

I don't have a multimeter on the car but I can hear it now and then. I'm happy with the answer from Ctek custom support. If they say they do it I trust them, I don't see why they would lie about it.:-)

mij86 01-20-2018 03:59 AM

I guess with it being an electronic device certain components may generate a buzz, I remember the old battery chargers with the transformers in did this, the old wire coils vibrating!

GGG 01-20-2018 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by peterv8 (Post 1827708)
Finally got a response from Ctek.
They said it's normal they make a low buzzing sound at different stages of charging. .....

Originally Posted by peterv8 (Post 1828429)
..... I'm happy with the answer from Ctek custom support. If they say they do it I trust them, I don't see why they would lie about it.

I agree.

CTEK is a quality product many of us use and it makes no sense that they would advise a buyer that this buzzing is normal if there was any risk of malfunction that could lead to overheating or worse.

I've added "RESOLVED" to your thread title. This isn't to close the debate but simply to indicate your question has been answered by CTEK.

Graham