Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Current XKR Series just become the most collectible Jaguar since the XKE

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Pendle
Well that's news to me! - I work for a supplier to Jaguar here in the UK and we have firm Castle Bromwich schedules for XK parts through to March next year, averaging around 75 coupes & 45 convertibles a week. I've not heard of any planned run-out after that.
The info we have is that the X151 XK replacement Job1 is planned for September 2016, so there may still be plenty of life left in the old dog yet!

Pendle
What is interesting is that when the XKR-S was introduced for model year 2012 - they stated it would be a 3 yr run of 100 coupes and 25 convertibles/yr. I wonder if they will continue to make 100 coupes and 25 verts per year for the US in 2015 and 2016? Who knows? I cant see them saying "sorry...we wont make it for you despite the fact you have the cash!!"

Old 12-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52
...YOU ARE RIGHT!! I am in Columbus, OH and everyone looks at the car(s) like its a alien spacecraft because:
I've found in quite a lot of places in Ohio, people stop to look at any car :-)

Last edited by JustNiz; 12-03-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:01 PM

Gotta say I also believe the current XKR is yet to have its time.

It really does have all the makings of a true classic (except for the annoying bluetooth & nav that are unreplaceable by design) and I expect people to recognise the XKR as a true classic in a decade or so.

What make it even more special is that it is the last Jag to incorporate the 'proper' Jag design language based on elegant but simple curves William Lyons insipred in the 50's and 60's and used ever since on all the most desireable Jags. For example the beautiful oval shape front intake from the racing C's, D's and E types.

In my opinion Ian Callum's decision to actively avoid all that language in future was a step way too far. The horrible generic front grill design that he stole practically verbatim from Audi then put on every new Jag is one reason why I think the F-type looks dissapointingly bland and surprisingly indistinguishable from a Honda S2000. For me its getting quite hard to identify any Post-XK model as a Jag at all any more, let alone to feel passionate about its looks.

Over time I think more people will come around to my point of view. Ian Callum's decision to to tempt a younger more uninformed audience towards Jaguar by replacing all the sensual, timeless and unique Jaguar curves with the perhaps more familiar but very cold, soulless and generic lines that most german brands already use, was actually a very large compromise and a significant step backwards both for the identity of the brand and the passion of the cars themselves.

The XKR is already a truly great car in the once-in-a-very-long-time sense. In my opinion it could even unashamedly contend for "masterpiece" status. If Jag continue down the road they are on now, directly away from what makes the XKR great, they won't ever again be able to even slightly tempt me to "upgrade" from my current car. I just can't imagine that any Jag since the XKR so far, especially the F-Type, will in say 20 years be much remembered at all, let alone be considered a classic.

Last edited by JustNiz; 12-03-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I do think some aspects of the F-Type could be improved (like you mention, it does share some vague similarities to an S2000 up front). However, it does have its virtues.

But I don't think that Ian Callum is going the wrong direction. I don't think there's any way you can say the Jaguar XJ looks anything like what the competition is putting out. It is very striking, although it can be polarizing. Plus the interiors of the new Jaguars are unbelievably beautiful. Even the new Jaguar CX-17 SUV, which I was extremely opposed to, is gorgeous! Also, IMO, the grille shape didn't come out of nowhere. You see a very similar shape from the Series I, II and III XJs of the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Will the F-Type be forgotten? Maybe. Time will tell. In my opinion, the success or failure of the F-Type will have nothing to do with its looks (but with its price).

Even though I tend to like Ian Callum's direction and his latest designs with Jaguar, I do also believe that the current XK is a very special car which Ian Callum himself may not be able to replicate in the next XK. It will definitely be the most beautiful car I ever have the pleasure of owning!

Last edited by amcdonal86; 12-03-2013 at 04:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AyyVlogs (03-31-2018)
Old 12-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

The Kia Optima is an XJ silhouette copy. Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:03 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Someone in another thread claimed to have been told by a dealer that production had ended. I checked the Jaguar Canada site and only the 2013 XK is shown. Somebody call Jaguar North America quick and let us know!
Hi Bruce
Latest news! - The latest info shows end of production w/c 19th July 2014 with the final 45 coupes & 23 convertibles built during that week.
After the plant summer shutdown mid-August there's an increase in F-Type production, I guess because there's extra capacity available as the XK & F-Type are built on the same line.
So July sees the end of production of this beautiful car - I'm off now to go & cry in my beer!
Pendle

The following 2 users liked this post by Pendle:
Bruce H. (12-05-2013), Lothar52 (12-06-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

I asked my Jaguar contact this very question, and he responded by saying although production for the XK will be slowed, he has no info to confirm that production will cease. I'm sure we'll be getting further info in the next month or so.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

I just drove my XKR to work after not having driven it for about two weeks. What a fantastic car! Holding back and not driving it for a long time really intensifies the effect...

Old 12-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Pendle
Hi Bruce
Latest news! - The latest info shows end of production w/c 19th July 2014 with the final 45 coupes & 23 convertibles built during that week.
After the plant summer shutdown mid-August there's an increase in F-Type production, I guess because there's extra capacity available as the XK & F-Type are built on the same line.
So July sees the end of production of this beautiful car - I'm off now to go & cry in my beer!
Pendle

SO IT IS TRUE!!! SOMEONE START THE COUNTDOWN TO THE GREATEST JAGUAR EVER!!!! OH GOD THE PAIN and JOY BOTH ARE UNBEARABLE!!!!!!! The cancellation of the XK in its current state is a celebration of just how great a car this has been!! Specifically the XKR-S (GT) has been something to behold as well as the dynamic equipped XKR's!!!! Glad I got 2, and my XKR-S new!!!

Last edited by Lothar52; 12-06-2013 at 12:34 PM.
AyyVlogs (03-31-2018)
Old 12-06-2013, 04:02 PM

I'm worried that the new XK will inevitably get that ugly Audi-like grill that Jag are now using everywhere.

That new grill shape could very easily kill the sleek/feline look that the current gen has. It would make the front look taller and flatter, so probably a lot more conventional and boxy, more like a muscle car.

Call me wierd but that grill alone could well be enough to drive me towards an Aston or maybe an old XKE instead of a new XKR the next time round.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Recently, I stumbled upon some British based forum with posts from 2005. It was just after the current generation XK appeared for the first time at some auto show. It was astounding how much the Jaguar traditionalists hated the new design. I recall many were comparing it to the Hyudai and predicting the end of the Jaguar brand. It's difficult for me to fathom how a Jaguar enthusiast could dislike the current XK design. Perhaps it's just an emotional reaction to the replacement of a car you've grown to love. Sort of like we might react to the new XK.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
Recently, I stumbled upon some British based forum with posts from 2005. It was just after the current generation XK appeared for the first time at some auto show. It was astounding how much the Jaguar traditionalists hated the new design. I recall many were comparing it to the Hyudai and predicting the end of the Jaguar brand. It's difficult for me to fathom how a Jaguar enthusiast could dislike the current XK design. Perhaps it's just an emotional reaction to the replacement of a car you've grown to love. Sort of like we might react to the new XK.
Do you have a link to this? I'd be very interested!

Frankly, even today many traditionalists think the new Jags are hideous. I used to be one of them until I took off the blinders.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Very true. I was one of them. But I still think in many ways the previous XKR with the right wheels is a more timeless design. This one is certainly more muscular and aggressive with the rear fenders, bigger exhausts, sound etc. But the last gen XKR is just somehow more um, metal if that makes sense. Sort of like the C5 seemed less metal or authentic than the C4.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Do you have a link to this? I'd be very interested!

Frankly, even today many traditionalists think the new Jags are hideous. I used to be one of them until I took off the blinders.
I'll see if I can find it.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:21 PM

Here we go. I'm relatively sure this is what I was thinking of.

From Piston Heads - Feb / 2006

RE: Jag XK ragtop emerges - PistonHeads

amcdonal86 (12-06-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Evoking
Very true. I was one of them. But I still think in many ways the previous XKR with the right wheels is a more timeless design. This one is certainly more muscular and aggressive with the rear fenders, bigger exhausts, sound etc. But the last gen XKR is just somehow more um, metal if that makes sense. Sort of like the C5 seemed less metal or authentic than the C4.
I like the previous gen XKR. I think it does look a little bit meaner, at least in the details. I think the rear bumper is ugly (as viewed from the side).

Also, I think the front grille is just a little bit too big, and since the front grille is filled with mesh (and does not really have a setback like the X150's grille--sunken a couple inches), there is no real illusion of there being an actual opening.

I didn't like the X150 for several years. But then again, I never looked at one closely in person. Depending on the color, the X150's design really does draw you in and the more you look at it from more different angles, the more interesting and beautiful it becomes! Timeless!

Attached Thumbnails Current XKR Series just become the most collectible Jaguar since the XKE-used-2005-jaguar-xk_series-xkrcoupe-5973-3631080-7-640.jpg  
Old 03-24-2015, 08:57 AM
Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Default XK Styling & Jaguar in General

The reality is that because of government meddling there isn't car built today that will ever have the lines that low bodies with large greenhouses seemed to share. Whether it's the SL Pagota, SEC's, XK's, or any other car, times have changed to reflect the "wussy" need for side & rear impact protection. No real lover of classic cars ever buys one for it's safety record. I bought my 2000 XKR in BRG & Tan because it was as close as my wallet could get to the XKE I always wanted and have no regrets.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:00 AM
Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts

AMCdonal86 is right! His "Fixed Head" is beautiful.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I got my 1st Jaguar back in 1968 and it was a 66 XK-E coupe. It was the 4.2L six with 3 SU carbs and 4 speed all syncro gearbox. Also had the glass over the headlights. I thought it was a piece of auto art and beautiful. Fast forward it became a classic but to my surprise the ones commanding the highest price are the convertibles. Although I thought they looked great there was just something about the coupe that made it a little sexier. So here we are at 2015 and I still love the coupe even from the early XK8 to present but I wanted my last fun ride to be a ragtop. Whether it will be the high priced classic or not because all it needs to do in this stage of my life is for me to enjoy it.

The following 2 users liked this post by jagtoes:
Lothar52 (03-24-2015), ralphwg (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 469 Posts

Screw the mileage, screw the weather, we could be dead tomorrow... drive the crap out of them today.

The following 5 users liked this post by 1 of 19:
guy (03-29-2023), jagtoes (03-24-2015), Lothar52 (04-03-2015), ralphwg (03-24-2015), tberg (03-24-2015)

Quick Reply: Current XKR Series just become the most collectible Jaguar since the XKE