XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Decisions-09 or 10, yep, another thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 07:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Decisions-09 or 10, yep, another thread

So my search is currently on two XKs. An 09 & 10. Same exterior color, same interior color, mileage within 2000 miles, 51,000 on the 10, 53,000 on the 09. condition is very similar and the price is very close to each other.
Most would say get the 2010, hands down, based on what I've read, but I'm not so sure. Can I depend on the 5.0 like the 4.2. I actually like the shifter vs. the knob but that's minor. Power difference? I've only driven a 2011.
Please offer any input.
Thank you!

Old 01-25-2018, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

2010 all the way. The puck is way better than the j gate. Other changes also make it an improvement IMO.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 08:56 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

Tough to say really, both of have pros and cons. The 5.0L I have not seen many issues with them mechanical wise, just that the water pumps are common issue. The pulleys come loose as they are press fit and not bolt on like 4.2L.

I'm sure other owners of XK's will chime in with more info, but from my experience the XK is a pretty solid car.

The 2010 that has the rotary select for transmission - they have been known to give issues, most have been with XF, but basically same part.

Other than that, there's not much difference underneath with suspension. Mainly just engine difference and cosmetics.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

You have already mentioned the biggest difference in the two, 4.2 vs 5.0, but there are many cosmetic differences, of course to some they may not matter. Face lift on front, led tail lights on rear, no antenna mast on the 2010 and newer, not to mention the car itself being 1 year newer. I think you will enjoy either one but I would go for the 2010...

Old 01-25-2018, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Having owned a 2008 (much like a 2009) and a 2012 (much like a 2010) I would go for the 10. I think the 10+ are better cars all the way around. Don't get me wrong, but all other things being equal or very close to even I would opt for the 10. The 9 is also a fine vehicle.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
Y ... no antenna mast on the 2010 and newer, not to mention the car itself being 1 year newer. I think you will enjoy either one but I would go for the 2010...
Nope. The retractable antenna mast was discontinued beginning with the 2008 model year.

There is one rule in my book: BUYER BEWARE! Always do your due diligence before buying any used car. You can't rely on CarFax because they report only what's reported to them, and lots of stuff falls through the crack. Although the condition of the 2009 and 2010 may appear to be similar, appearances can be deceiving. Before you pull the trigger, you should pay a Jaguar dealer to perform a pre-purchase inspection using their CPO checklist so you'll know what repairs are upcoming and can use that cost estimate to negotiate a lower price. Similarly, a paint, body, and undercarriage inspection by a Jaguar-approved body shop qualified in aluminum repairs is worth the cost, to determine if there has been paint or body work or structural repairs.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,282 Posts

Originally Posted by Kodyw
Power difference?
Yes, there is a difference, 300Hp for the 4.2 XK, vs 385Hp for the 5.0 XK, which puts it closer to the 410Hp 4.2 XKR. Since you've driven a 2011, you may be disappointed with the 2009 XK (its not a slouch, but more Hp brings bigger smiles).

Old 01-26-2018, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Nope. The retractable antenna mast was discontinued beginning with the 2008 model year.

There is one rule in my book: BUYER BEWARE! Always do your due diligence before buying any used car. You can't rely on CarFax because they report only what's reported to them, and lots of stuff falls through the crack. Although the condition of the 2009 and 2010 may appear to be similar, appearances can be deceiving. Before you pull the trigger, you should pay a Jaguar dealer to perform a pre-purchase inspection using their CPO checklist so you'll know what repairs are upcoming and can use that cost estimate to negotiate a lower price. Similarly, a paint, body, and undercarriage inspection by a Jaguar-approved body shop qualified in aluminum repairs is worth the cost, to determine if there has been paint or body work or structural repairs.
Thanks for clarifying the antenna... My mistake

Old 01-26-2018, 05:54 AM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I've had a 09 & currently have a 10 & as others have said both cars are great but the 10 is superior in power, your entire drive train is different, updated trans, differential, suspension upgrades & some cosmetic. Although the cars look almost the same the driving experience is superior in the 10. We all love HP & for those moments where you can open her up.... the 10 will put a bigger smile on your face.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Having owned an 07 and now owning a 12 model, I agree that the 5.0l would be the better choice. However, I also agree that all things would have to be equal between the two to make that choice. Investigate for untold history then determine the value from there.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

The obvious difference to me would be resale values. I know you said the two you're looking at are close in price; however, down the road when it comes time to sell, you are going to be looking a a larger difference in resale value between the two. The XK8 had a similar mid model upgrade for the 2003 model year. Today's buyers are willing to pay a substantial premium for those changes. The differences between the X150 4.2 and 5.0, including transmissions, is at least equal to, or greater than, changes made to the X100. Based on resale alone, I'd opt for the 2010.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:44 PM

Thank you for all of the input. Very valid information on all counts. I just wanted to ask those of you with experience on this. To me, common sense would say go with the 2010 simply due to the advancements, and being newer, but that's not always the case. I'm looking forward to a long enjoyable time with this car so I want to do due diligence in my search and decision.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Thank you for all of the input. Very valid information on all counts. I just wanted to ask those of you with experience on this. To me, common sense would say go with the 2010 simply due to the advancements, and being newer, but that's not always the case. I'm looking forward to a long enjoyable time with this car so I want to do due diligence in my search and decision.
The part you left out was your budget. If you are looking for a long term relationship I would focus on 2012-2015 MY cars. These have the latest updates and would most likely have the least mileage. Do a little research on the changes done to the 2012 MY as that pretty much has the latest changes. I would look for something in the 20K mileage range . There will be some out there but you'll need to hunt them down. Good luck.
By the way I have 21K on my 2012 so I can believe there are others out there.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:46 AM
Received 442 Likes on 185 Posts

2010 also got rid of the open rear differential. Went to the "E-diff". If the 09 was an R and the 10 a regular XK this would be a different conversation but I have to agree with the group and say the 10 is a better choice. All things being equal. Lest we not forget the 10 has LED tail lights! That's 10hp right there.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by flyc2c
2010 also got rid of the open rear differential. Went to the "E-diff".
Only on the XKR. The XK still has an open diff.

The following users liked this post:
flyc2c (01-28-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 02:31 PM

You're correct Jagtoes, my budget really depends on the car. I don't mind paying a bit extra for a lower mileage vehicle that's top shelf. I have/am considering a 12' but to be honest, as this is an additional car for enjoyment purposes I don't want to break the bank. 25k~ is where I would like to be. I have considered the 09XKR but shy away a bit for reasons such as additional insurance cost, although that seems to be small, and potential additional maintenance costs.
I also want to be able to do my own service type items and small fixes but I'm past the resto stages of cars. Just want to mainly drive and enjoy it. Date night with the wife and so forth.
I am searching places all of the usual places on the internet such as Auto Trader and the likes.
Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

I suggest you drive a couple examples of each. That way when you find one, you'll know its the one for you.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

I had the 4.2 in my first XF, but ended up with the 5.0 in the XKR. I've never driven a 4.2 XKR so take my comments with that in mind.

The 5.0 XKR has oodles and oodles of power. You could never use that much power, and when you try it immediately breaks traction then the DTS cuts in. So trying to accelerate quickly in the wet is a mission, entering roundabouts etc also results in the back end stepping out. It isnt dangerous or anything, but it can be a handful and it is very frustrating on the track. So the first question is really whether you want all of that power. It is fun, but you cant just get in and smash the accelerator.

The other thing is the engine note. Personally, I really prefer the 4.2 note to the 5.0. The 4.2 has a lovely staccato throb that builds up with the revs, and in the XKR it has supercharger whine as well. I wanted it a bit louder in my XF and put on a paramount back box, it was the best engine note I've heard before and since.

The 5.0 engine note on the other hand is metallic and raspy sounding. When I came out of my 4.2NA and went to a 5.0NA, that was a massive disappointment. The 5.0 XKR sounds better than the NA, but nowhere near as lovely as the 4.2, IMO.

On puck vs stick, I loved the puck but now I have the f type there is something to be said for having a stick to put your hand on. I have a sneaking suspicion about why it feels satisfying, but dont want to think about it too much.

After all of that, if they were the same price I'd still take the 5.0.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I don't want to break the bank. 25k~ is where I would like to be. I have considered the 09XKR but shy away a bit for reasons such as additional insurance cost, although that seems to be small, and potential additional maintenance costs.
I also want to be able to do my own service type items and small fixes but I'm past the resto stages of cars. Just want to mainly drive and enjoy it. Date night with the wife and so forth.
Find a 4.2 //R in decent shape for the money and don't fret about mileage. Many wear items on these cars are age related and all of them will eventually need age related maintenance. Possibly the greatest benefit of an early car is the engine is dead nut reliable. Many parts fall under the Ford corporate umbrella and are readily available from many sources other than Jaguar. A 4.2R has torque like a big block Chevy. It starts pulling down low and doesn't stop. The blower makes it plenty powerful and it will try to step out if you hammer it too hard at a corner. Mechanically pretty much everything is simple enough to work on once you understand how it was assembled.

If it were me I'd find a 4.2R and save money for the tail lights, a posi and different exhaust vs. buy a regular 5.0 XK. Oh yeah, stick in hand is very enjoyable.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
Find a 4.2 //R in decent shape for the money and don't fret about mileage. Many wear items on these cars are age related and all of them will eventually need age related maintenance. Possibly the greatest benefit of an early car is the engine is dead nut reliable. Many parts fall under the Ford corporate umbrella and are readily available from many sources other than Jaguar. A 4.2R has torque like a big block Chevy. It starts pulling down low and doesn't stop. The blower makes it plenty powerful and it will try to step out if you hammer it too hard at a corner. Mechanically pretty much everything is simple enough to work on once you understand how it was assembled.

If it were me I'd find a 4.2R and save money for the tail lights, a posi and different exhaust vs. buy a regular 5.0 XK. Oh yeah, stick in hand is very enjoyable.
I was also going to suggest that ^^^^^^^^
Since your budget is a major concern, the 4.2-R would probably be the biggest hoot-per-buck.

Quick Reply: Decisions-09 or 10, yep, another thread