XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Depreciating fast..

Old 12-13-2018, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

My F-type depreciated about 2 XKs since I bought it new. You really can't worry about this, and if you care so much about depreciation then your choices are Corolla or Huracan.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Yep, Jaguars are intended for 2 types of people. Those who have disposable income or those who are resourceful.
It designed not to be attainable to those who should own a run of the mill car.
Aston Martin Valkyrie is an extreme example, its designed only to last for 65k miles. (as they revealed today)

Old 12-13-2018, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Speaking of AM - thread hijack:-)

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/12...-is-a-monster/

Check out the DB11 video lower on the page

Old 12-13-2018, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
thread hijack:-)
Check out the DB11 video lower on the page
Thank you for that post, It increased the value of my Jaguar today.
I lusted after watching the DB11 video and realized, what I have is the DB11 I can afford. Moreover, how current and relevant my car still is.
Can you imagine what XK resale values would be if only those who actually appreciated its virtues owned one.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Zahmed1094
You guys are right and it makes me feel a lot better! First, my old car, the 2017 370Z base model with 33k miles was worth about $2k more than the XK on the KBB site but when I saw the XK, its paint and inside (leather, navigation etc.) were far better than my base 370Z and I wanted to experience the car. At first, I got concerned about possible maintenance costs but then found lots of folks on the high mileage thread reporting good reliability and now I am very happy!!!

Its like trading a hot 22 year old that had put on weight for a 40 year old that was still svelte.
This said, I actually dated and almost married a hot 22 year old japanese descent woman; we were done as a couple before it was legal. This all said, I love my XK; but I'd definitely rather have the asian, even at 40yo.

We still talking cars? Because I'm having non-car-related fond memories.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule
This said, I actually dated and almost married a hot 22 year old japanese descent woman; we were done as a couple before it was legal. This all said, I love my XK; but I'd definitely rather have the asian, even at 40yo.

yep... gotta love the ladies, our Jags are a given.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 80sRule
You have underscored the problem with affection (towards anything)
We tend to be solely positive in our recollection. Or as the old saying goes, remembering a former marriage by the one honeymoon night (as opposed to the years of fighting that resulted in divorce)
No one remembers the bath one took with a brand new Merc or BMW GT is worth 2 XKs now.
Was this the one that shanked you with a screwdriver?

Old 12-13-2018, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
You have underscored the problem with affection (towards anything)
We tend to be solely positive in our recollection. Or as the old saying goes, remembering a former marriage by the one honeymoon night (as opposed to the years of fighting that resulted in divorce)
No one remembers the bath one took with a brand new Merc or BMW GT is worth 2 XKs now.
Was this the one that shanked you with a screwdriver?
No, that was a half Swedish half Brazilian lady. She stole my credit card, ran up five hundred dollars (card was capable of way more but whatever), did the psycho stuff to me and then later that day she tried to kill herself slitting her wrists. Her parents apologized to me. She never did and I'm just glad she lives on the other side of the state now. ​​​​​I can remember the good, reminisce, and have absolutely no desire to actually relive it given the bad lol.

There's only one ex I actually would go through things again with, but we ended very amicably due to job moves; so no crazy ****. Other than the psycho, my relationships all have ended cleanly but it was clear that we were not compatible and we both should just move on, just standard fizzles.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

There are two reasons.

First, this car is so little well known that if you take the badges off and ask people what it is many won't know.

I have the badges off my car, I get to hear people puzzling over what kind of car it is in parking lots. They know it is special, they just do not know what it is.

You can't shop for what you do not know exists.

Second, Jaguar is still struggling with being the butt of unreliable jokes. It takes some one who is either well researched, or very brave; which greatly limits the buyer base further.

The prices keep going down until either a well researched bargain hunter buys it, or a brave soul finally steps up to the plate.

The following users liked this post:
viper1996 (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

It's how I could justify/afford my STR

Old 12-14-2018, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren
Jaguar is still struggling with being the butt of unreliable jokes. It takes some one who is either well researched, or very brave; which greatly limits the buyer base further.
Ain't that the truth and the rationale is no longer there, @ least on the Jaguar side. I dunno anything about Rover. Ford brought the brand from the brink in what, 1998? Tata Motors took over in 2008? Somewhere in there.
So my 07 is a Ford Model and I couldn't be happier with my car. Many of you gents have a Tata Motors version. I suspect you feel the same way. The defects on our cars are minor in comparison to the massive recalls we see in mass production makes and models.

For all the lore about the ghost of Lucas, my personal experience with defects was seldom the actual Lucas part. It was the "British" electrical engineering that seemingly required 35 miles of wire running back and forth along the engine block and through 17 different relays to get a turn signal from the stalk to the bulb.....

I kid of course. Or do I?

Old 12-14-2018, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

Jaguar experts point out; the single thing responsible for weak resale values is:
Jaguar is in no-man's land, they make collector's cars in mass.
The Etype is a good example- considered the most desirable, in all regards, its no more maintenance than anything else as exotic from the period, sells for fraction of other collectibles.

Sometimes its easier to solve the equation by seeing it in reverse.
If Jaguar made the same XK but was a company the size of Morgan, what would the resale be.

BTW reliability has absolutely nothing to do with resale values.
Go look at a Land Rover defender, they go up in value. Go look at a Countach.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,145 Likes on 3,082 Posts

"Oh, that's my 'Aljessir'.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
Ain't that the truth and the rationale is no longer there, @ least on the Jaguar side. I dunno anything about Rover.
I disagree. My personal example - new transmission, 2 clutches, new differential and that is excluding minor stuff. Probably $30-$40K of work under warranty. More so, not everything is covered even by factory warranty - when faulty clutch damaged flywheel for the second time it was considered wear and tear. At less than 20,000km. I bought Jaguar, and Jaguar I got. My spouse jokes that I purchased Jaguar subscription because of all different loaners I got to drive. If this was my only car, it would be very frustrating experience.

Also, JLR is near the bottom with Land Rover and Jaguar is only slightly less embarrassing: https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...dability-study

Also: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...nce-20k-update

"The Velar makes me swear in front of my children, which I rarely do," one driver wrote in the logbook.
Ouch. This is why Jags depreciate so much.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
I disagree. My personal example - new transmission, 2 clutches, new differential
The point that several are trying to make is:
Those exact non-Jaguar, German parts are in several other brands.
Miraculously, those brands dont seem to suffer the same reputation.

Its purely emotional.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
The point that several are trying to make is:
Those exact non-Jaguar, German parts are in several other brands.
Miraculously, those brands dont seem to suffer the same reputation.

Its purely emotional.
If this logic worked, then all cars would be as reliable as Toyota, as most of part suppliers operate across all car brands (i.e.NYSE:MGA). Sadly, this is not the case.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

If this logic worked, then all cars would be as reliable as Toyota, as most of part suppliers operate across all car brands (i.e.NYSE:MGA). Sadly, this is not the case.
Get a Pagani. Every part (except windshield wipers, fluids, and tires) is made BY Pagani.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

reliable as Toyota
We have to weigh all factors if we are to be unbiased.

Toyota benefits from tremendous patriotism- as it should.
The Toyota GT2000 (identical to Etype) sells for over $1million US.
Its celebrated as a supercar and only has none of the racing heritage nor pedigree to be proud of like the Etype.

Imagine if just the Canadians, who rightfully celebrate many things British and identify themselves with the folks that taught them how to take over someone's country rather than the legendary beaver trappers, were similarly patriotic to the Etype as others are to the GT2000.... Jaguar's resale values would be different.

Or we could simply ask the question in reverse to get to the cruel truth. What is the reason that a GT2000 sells for 10 times more than an Etype?

Old 12-16-2018, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,131 Likes on 3,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Get a Pagani. Every part (except windshield wipers, fluids, and tires) is made BY Pagani.
Nope. They don't make their battery or battery maintainer . They simply put their name on a CTEK.

Here's how to get a FREE KOENIGSEGG Regera!

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, ya got me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Depreciating fast..