XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Depreciation is killin' me man!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 04:09 PM
Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Depreciation is killin' me man!

Posted on ebay is this 09 vert virtually identical,including miles, to mine except it has cpo warranty left. Jaguar XK Base Convertible 2 Door | eBay
price is 9k less than I paid for mine 18months ago. Thought mine was worth at least 35k. Amazing!

Old 11-18-2014, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

A regular XK?? Maybe an XKR!

People say depreciation is a killer for all luxury cars, but honestly I think it's quite a bit worse for Jags than other makes.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
A regular XK?? Maybe an XKR!

People say depreciation is a killer for all luxury cars, but honestly I think it's quite a bit worse for Jags than other makes.
Which is why I'm holding off on an F-Type!!

Old 11-18-2014, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Massive depreciation is how I could afford mine, so thanks guys

Old 11-18-2014, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lothar52
Which is why I'm holding off on an F-Type!!
I think the F-Type will be one of the worse offenders, once the initial excitement wears off. It is a slow seller! (So was the XK!)

And yes, I know, if it weren't for the crazy depreciation I wouldn't have been able to buy mine!

Old 11-18-2014, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I think the F-Type will be one of the worse offenders, once the initial excitement wears off. It is a slow seller! (So was the XK!)

And yes, I know, if it weren't for the crazy depreciation I wouldn't have been able to buy mine!
I can afford but momma didn't raise no dummy!!

The following users liked this post:
bobdr1 (11-20-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 08:20 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Yo wanna play? Yo havta pay!

bobdr1 (11-20-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 08:53 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

someone here in San Diego listed his 2007 XKR Vert on Craigslist for $29K, then $28.5, then for $22,900! Black on black looked clean w/ @78K miles

2007 XK white with tan interior very clean with only 23K miles sold for $23K... just wait until the weather gets colder

Old 11-18-2014, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by K.Westra
Massive depreciation is how I could afford mine, so thanks guys
+1

However, I do think the depreciation curve is starting to swing the other way.
The first 4 years of the new XK series (07 and newer) lived on the old Jaguar reputation of high failures and maintenance. Values continued to plummet.
Then a new trend emerged around 2010, as reviewers and consumer advocates saw that this XK was a new breed. Rock solid, and reliable, we are now setting along side Lexus as a top contender. Opinions are swinging, and rapid depreciation is not what it was.

As long as Tata does not slack off, Jaguar will again be a force to be reckoned with. ( Sadly, the cascade of 5.0l engine failures isn't helping.)

2 cents
Vince

Old 11-18-2014, 10:03 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

The depreciation rate will not improve. With the exception of very few high end cars - BMW Z8, Porsche turbo 993, Jaguar will only continue to decline. Look at Audi, most Porsches, ALL Merc's, most BM'ers, they fall like rocks. Though those of us on this forum have an uncanny affection to the XK in reality it'll continue the same downward trajectory. Audi resale has barely improved from the days of their debacle with the Audi 5000 even with their quality control being excellent. BMW had their value shot by the design work of Bungle. Jag had their awful history of horrible electronics reputation and that rumor still still persists today though they've corrected their mistakes. This could improve if they would address it with proper marketing but India is not known for that nor are the English

bobdr1 (11-20-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 01:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I don't ever think Jaguar will be ahead of the depreciation curve. Just about every luxury and niche car out there just depreciates like crazy. Very few are constructed for the long haul. Cars are becoming a more like home electronics.

Aston and Lotus are two that aren't so bad if you buy them a few years old.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member

All I know is that if you are shopping for a Jaguar, usually to get the competitor's car at the same price I have to go a model year or two older.

JLR is capable of making cars with high resale value. I have a feeling the new RR Sport is going to retain it's value much better due to its desirability.

Last edited by amcdonal86; 11-19-2014 at 06:05 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I don't ever think Jaguar will be ahead of the depreciation curve. Just about every luxury and niche car out there just depreciates like crazy. Very few are constructed for the long haul. Cars are becoming a more like home electronics.

Aston and Lotus are two that aren't so bad if you buy them a few years old.
I think a lot of used Lotuses have actually appreciated! I remember in the late 2000s you could find plenty of used Elises for $30k with low miles. Those same cars seem to have held their value or ticked up a bit.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I decided to bite the bullet to get what I wanted and look at the long range for ownership. I stopped looking at price after I purchased my 2012. The original owner took a $36K hit in 2 years so I expected to take a hit after I purchased the car . I suspect that I mush have taken a $5-$10K hit by now aftering buying the car in April. Now considering I hope to own the car for another 10 years I'm not to bent out of shape for the loss. Enjoy the ride.

bobdr1 (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 10:50 AM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Just enjoy your car!

I just bought a 1993 XJS convertible, I saw it on a local listing so I called the owner and I found out that she had it on ebay as well. I did some home work and found that about all those bidding on it were dealers. She told me that one of them wanted to buy the car, ship it overseas to sell for parts. I've always wanted a Jaguar but I never really thought I would actually own one. I've always heard that they are high maintenance with expensive parts that are hard to find. What I have found so far is that parts are NOT any more expensive than my domestic cars and are plentiful. Working on this car (so far) has been a real pleasure. I've driven it on 150 mile trips without a glitch. So, rumors, horror stories, ect. is probably the reason I got this car for such a good price. You will spend more time with this car than you will with your loved ones bla, bla, bla. Don't let the value bother you. Especially if you plan on keeping your car. You can't trust the economy anyway. Go, put some gas in your car, crank up the music and be grateful you have a nice car.

The following 2 users liked this post by 93xjs6cyl:
bobdr1 (11-20-2014), ralphwg (11-20-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by 93xjs6cyl
I just bought a 1993 XJS convertible, I saw it on a local listing so I called the owner and I found out that she had it on ebay as well. I did some home work and found that about all those bidding on it were dealers. She told me that one of them wanted to buy the car, ship it overseas to sell for parts. I've always wanted a Jaguar but I never really thought I would actually own one. I've always heard that they are high maintenance with expensive parts that are hard to find. What I have found so far is that parts are NOT any more expensive than my domestic cars and are plentiful. Working on this car (so far) has been a real pleasure. I've driven it on 150 mile trips without a glitch. So, rumors, horror stories, ect. is probably the reason I got this car for such a good price. You will spend more time with this car than you will with your loved ones bla, bla, bla. Don't let the value bother you. Especially if you plan on keeping your car. You can't trust the economy anyway. Go, put some gas in your car, crank up the music and be grateful you have a nice car.

Well......Yes Jaguar will always depreciate greatly from MSRP....and the XK from 2010 on has proved itself to be a worthy contender of reliability and fun with minimum aggravation unless abused. I will not say I am an expert on the XJS.....but although there are exceptions.... the years to own are 1996 period. I see way too many in the shop for miscellaneous issues. If you do your do diligence on the XJS you will be prepared for any scenarios that are likely to occur. Jaguars have never been inexpensive cars to maintain. As long as you are aware of this.... no surprises....one thing they all share.....they are really fun to drive!

Old 11-20-2014, 03:18 AM
Veteran Member

Once they hit rock bottom, whatever that is, then yes they are great cars to own, but most feel antiquated by their modern counterparts by then.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Leeper
someone here in San Diego listed his 2007 XKR Vert on Craigslist for $29K, then $28.5, then for $22,900! Black on black looked clean w/ @78K miles

2007 XK white with tan interior very clean with only 23K miles sold for $23K... just wait until the weather gets colder
I may be selling my XKR sometime next year to get a sedan of some sort (I don't really drive the XKR enough to justify having it). It's and 07 with 63k-ish miles and I will be very happy if I can get 23k for it in the spring!

Old 11-20-2014, 03:57 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Default New cars

I think the real difference is when you go buy a relatively new car, you can't do much work on them unless you own an auto shop with a ton of expensive diagnostic equipment. Also, I guessing that most guys who are buying these new are rarely or never turning a wrench on them at all (which is cool!). Actually, why would you if it's under warranty? So, yes, I could see it getting very exspensive. On the other hand, I'm not a purest either, so buying aftermarket parts is fine with me as long as they are quality parts. I just got through putting on some new shocks on the front of my XJS. I wonder what a dealer would want for that job? Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the money to take my cars in and have them fix every little thing, but even then I'm not so sure I would. I like to work on my cars. I can also take a little of the money I saved today and treat myself to a nice dinner and still have the pleasure of having a smooth ride. It also helps being retired....

Old 11-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 93xjs6cyl
I like to work on my cars. I can also take a little of the money I saved today and treat myself to a nice dinner and still have the pleasure of having a smooth ride. It also helps being retired....
If you live in the city, you may not have garage or tools to work on the car. Others do not have the aptitude or desire to work on their cars. Fixing your own car is quite romantic, but not always practical or possible. Luckily I have one New England's premier indy Jaguar repair shops walking distance from my house.

Quick Reply: Depreciation is killin' me man!