Sponsored by: DashLynx

disappearing front tag install

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts
Default disappearing front tag install

Hi Guys,
I installed the "show n go" manual front tag on the XK-R today. It was very easy and looks good, as far as, front tags go on our beautiful front ends.
We are fortunate to have a belly shield across the front. Also, it helps the oil coolers (?) are separated right and left of the lower grille.
I only had to drill two 5/16" holes in the belly shield to support the rear off the mounting plate. To mount the front of the tag bracket, I had to drill and shape an elongated slot for mounting the front of the bracket using an existing 6mm body screw. When the tag is "hidden" you only see a very small portion of the bracket.

Attached Thumbnails disappearing front tag install-img_6038.jpg   disappearing front tag install-img_6040.jpg   disappearing front tag install-img_6046.jpg   disappearing front tag install-img_6048.jpg   disappearing front tag install-showing-tag-displayed.jpg  

disappearing front tag install-showing-tag-hidden.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
guy (10-21-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 08:14 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Very cool. I have been inundated with weekend chores, but will probably have time in about a month to install the remote control show n go that is sitting on my workbench. I noticed you put it dead center. I am considering offset to the passenger side. Was there anything underneath to prevent that?

Old 10-19-2014, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by liquid-chris
Very cool. I have been inundated with weekend chores, but will probably have time in about a month to install the remote control show n go that is sitting on my workbench. I noticed you put it dead center. I am considering offset to the passenger side. Was there anything underneath to prevent that?
Hi,
I looked at the offset location, but, saw it would block one of the coolers. Also, would have to drill three holes. The center seemed ideal, since the coolers are offset from the center and there is a nice wide space between the . As you see, I could use one of the underbelly attachment screws to anchor the front. I did have to purchase a longer 6mm attachment bolt to replace the factory unit as it's a hair too short. In these types of installations, I always opt for SS screws, bolts, nuts, etc. Where the tag flip's up, I added (included in the kit) one of the bumpers to mitigate any rattle and direct contact with the paint and body. The tag plate is a sturdy form of plastic material, so, corrosion want be a problem.
Good luck with your project. Happy Motoring......

The following users liked this post:
liquid-chris (10-20-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Ken , nice job and it looks good. I thing the nose of the XK looks great without a front plate but what does having the retractable plate have to do with avoiding tickets. I wanted to go without but some of my state LEO's told me not to flirt with the plate law in NY. So I mounted the front plate using the OEM bracket only mounting it upside down and to an aluminum angle. No screws in the bumper and it meets the state height requirement and is visible to the EZ-pass system. I live in a small town with a State Police zone barracks on the out skirts. The LEO's tell me the most ticketed car for lack of front plate is the Corvette. Almost all of the other cars have front plates. Oh the other opportunity without the front plate is the LEO's can do a traffic stop for cause. It isn't worth it to me .

Old 10-19-2014, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

Hi,
I liked this bracket mechanism as it was easy to install without any connections to the grille, bumper etc. I was banged a month ago for not having my front plate displayed.Thus, the reason for looking for a bracket that functioned as a plate holder, yet could be retracted when I wanted a cleaner "look".

Old 10-20-2014, 10:37 PM
Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

This is a good idea for a show/summer only car, but with that exact same brand mount on my Mark LT (which gets driven in the winter) it didn't hold up through the first winter. And I rarely (if ever) used it in the winter.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:39 PM
Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Also, how impressed are you with the speed/operation? Mine always seemed to act like it was trying to run on a dead battery, so I put it on the 14v side (I run two separate charging systems/battery banks for my stereo system) and it still seemed very sluggish even on 14v/16v charging with a 7 xs power D1400 battery bank.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:42 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I thing the nose of the XK looks great without a front plate but what does having the retractable plate have to do with avoiding tickets.
My 2cents: my plate is on 99.9% of the time, but I am very happy with the option to take it off for photos at shows or gatherings. If I forget to take it off, it's the first thing I notice when I look at pictures later.

But I don't have this fancy system. Looks good, RedRider.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bigdhenderson
Also, how impressed are you with the speed/operation? Mine always seemed to act like it was trying to run on a dead battery, so I put it on the 14v side (I run two separate charging systems/battery banks for my stereo system) and it still seemed very sluggish even on 14v/16v charging with a 7 xs power D1400 battery bank.
Hi,
I'm running the manual unit. Don't see how winter can effect it winter. Perhaps, the electric unit would freeze or jamb, but then, I'm thinking one would leave it in the "up" position?