Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Do the 2013 Jaguar XKR have computer/electronic issues? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/do-2013-jaguar-xkr-have-computer-electronic-issues-216841/)

Badnames 04-24-2019 04:05 PM

Do the 2013 Jaguar XKR have computer/electronic issues?

Do the 2013 Jaguar XKR have a lot of computer/electronic issues? Was looking at car faxes on two with only 21k and 24k miles respectively. Both showed 'Engine/powertrain computer/module replaced' as well as 'body electrical wiring repaired'.

Wondering if these are common issues, repair costs etc. Did read there was a firmware update potentially that flagged check engine lights on some of the models.

Don-T 04-24-2019 05:00 PM

There are a couple of issues here. First is that computers run just about everything on the XKR's. This is common on all high-end vehicles and leads to lots of complex wiring and difficult trouble shooting. Failed electronics is a frequent problem on these upscale cars. Second is the dealer troubleshooting methodology which rewards speed and swapping modules is fast and frequently the first step taken for a repair. If that doesn't fix the problem, more effort involving tracing wires and connectors and sensors is involved taking considerably more time and talent. After things work again, the module has still been replaced and billed for whether it was bad or not.
Also, the root cause for many of the XKR's electrical problems is simply a marginal battery.
That said, XKR's are relatively trouble free compared to other high end cars.
That's my dos centavos anyway.

ralphwg 04-24-2019 10:39 PM

I have had no computer/electronic issues with my 13 XKR vert.

XJDanny 04-25-2019 07:55 AM

I have had no computer or electronic issues with my ‘14 XKR other than my computer screen taking a bit longer than normal to boot up but that only happened once or twice and it hasn’t happened in over a year.

Mufc 04-25-2019 09:31 AM

My TPMS module software needed to be re-programmed to get rid of persistent low tire pressure warnings $150.00 fix

GGG 04-25-2019 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Don-T (Post 2060262)
..... the dealer troubleshooting methodology which rewards speed and swapping modules is fast and frequently the first step taken for a repair. ..... the root cause for many of the XKR's electrical problems is simply a marginal battery. .....

+1

There is no incentive for a Jaguar Dealer to repair a component on a vehicle under warranty. They have become laptop loving parts replacers. Hook up the diagnostics, find the relevant component, replace it and claim from JLR. Happy customer, happy tech, happy service manager ....... next bonus job please.

Also these vehicles need to be kept on a tender as even a slightly discharged battery can trigger spurious warnings and fault codes.

Graham

sov211 04-25-2019 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by XJDanny (Post 2060575)
I have had no computer or electronic issues with my ‘14 XKR other than my computer screen taking a bit longer than normal to boot up but that only happened once or twice and it hasn’t happened in over a year.

And that, Danny, was almost certainly caused by the battery being a bit low on those occasions. The CTEK unit is a modern luxury car owner's best friend. Alternatively, driving the car longer and more often also works!