XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Extremely Poor Quality Standard Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 12:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extremely Poor Quality Standard Audio System

I've just traded my 2004 XJ VDP for a 2007 XK Coupe. The XK has the standard audio system, not the premium, and I have to say I'm shocked at how terrible it sounds. I've read the other audio threads on the forum which detail extensive upgrades of the audio system. I was thinking about simply adding an amplifier and a small (10") subwoofer to the system. I'm certainly not looking for a rolling disco, just something more inline with the system on the VDP I traded. Has anyone else done more modest audio upgrades? It's just the poor audio system is really killing my enjoyment of an otherwise fantastic car.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:37 AM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I've just recently broke down and activated the XM Radio on my XK. I have to say, it's not what I expected. The quality is awful compared to the CD and radio on my car. There are some threads on here where folks have upgraded their systems. You should have no trouble finding help in doing so.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:10 AM
Default Added an amp and a woofer

Well, I couldn't take it anymore. I had the front door speakers (and tweeters) replaced with some Pioneer component speakers. I had a Kenwood 500W mono amp fitted which drives an 10" Subwoofer in the trunk mounted in a small enclosure. The system sounds much better now than it did before and the sound is obviously much fuller with the extra bass. I'm still fiddling with the fader, bass, and treble settings to get it to sound how I like. I think my ears need to get used to a front sound stage. Total costs for parts and installation was $560.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I have the Alpine system on my '07 XKR and the XM sounds horrific. Truly terrible--it sounds like you're listening to a low bitrate streamed audio track from 1995. However, listening to regular radio is slightly better, and listening to a CD is amazingly good. I don't have the Audio Connectivity Module, but I imagine it would be similar in quality to the CD, depending on the source.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

I had the alpine system in my X308 and X350's......they were total ****.

its a common misconception that XM is supposed to be amazing quality...but its not either. its better than normal FM radio...but not as good as CD's or MP3's.

although i must say, they did a decent job on the X351's in terms of stereo, even the "Jaguar Premium Sound" system

Old 01-24-2013, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by carzaddict
I had the alpine system in my X308 and X350's......they were total ****.

its a common misconception that XM is supposed to be amazing quality...but its not either. its better than normal FM radio...but not as good as CD's or MP3's.

although i must say, they did a decent job on the X351's in terms of stereo, even the "Jaguar Premium Sound" system
I own a 2013 XKRS.... And the 550W bowers and wilkens stereo is total crap!!! 1000x better stereo in my Nissan maxima!!!

Old 01-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not impressed with it as well. Quite disappointed actually! My wife's XC90's premium system is much better. Hope down the road this is addressed, but then again I like listening to the exhaust note......

Old 01-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

My system is not the best either. when I first got my XK i played my music loud with the top down.. now the passenger door speaker has a rattle on low notes. Probably gonna change the door speakers when I break it back out for summer 2013.

Attached Thumbnails Extremely Poor Quality Standard Audio System-img_0329-2-.jpg  
Old 01-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by chakka
I like listening to the exhaust note......
This.....

Although I have the upgraded system, i still find the XK's growl the sweetest tune around.

-Vince

Old 01-25-2013, 04:25 AM
Default XK Audio System

At least it sounds like most of you guys have the premium audio system. The non-premium version sounds like some Sony Walkman speakers from the 1980's - totally unacceptable in a car that was circa $80K new. I'm surprised to hear the Bowers & Wilkins system doesn't sound that good. I can say that after the modifications I made, the stereo is usable, but thank God for that beautiful exhaust note.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

The Bowers and Wilkins in my 2010 is outstanding. Life like sound and fullness in all of the frequencies. I can hear the slightness of a resting violin bow pull across the strings on a particular piece I listen to.

My sound system blows my wife's sound system in her VDP away. The difference is substantial, and hers sounds pretty good.

I have to say I am shocked to hear someone that has a Bowers and Wilkins say it is crap.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
The Bowers and Wilkins in my 2010 is outstanding. Life like sound and fullness in all of the frequencies. I can hear the slightness of a resting violin bow pull across the strings on a particular piece I listen to.

My sound system blows my wife's sound system in her VDP away. The difference is substantial, and hers sounds pretty good.

I have to say I am shocked to hear someone that has a Bowers and Wilkins say it is crap.
I think it depends on what source you are using for music. At least on my '07 Alpine, the CD sounds great, but everything else is rubbish.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definately a difference when listening to iPod or CD compared to sat. radio. Much cleaner sound, but just the way it is so front heavy in sound is my issue. If you shift the sound back it only brings more bass and mutes the highs, but the balance of high/low doesn't change. They needed to add a mid/tweeter in the back of the car on the coupe'. Again, it's not awful by any stretch, but numerous cars IMHO have a fuller/better sound quality.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:25 PM
Default 2011 xkr

does anyone know how to upgrade the audio system on this car I love everything about the car but the sound system is aweful

Old 05-11-2015, 04:20 PM
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho

That's the problem I see with the Bowers and Wilkins, it's a great studio reference style system. If you listen to rock or anything modern it just doesn't sound full enough. CD and streaming through my phone help but my wife's XF and my Dodge base model work truck sound better. I'm adding a sub and amp to mine to see if it helps.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:26 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I find the B&W to be acceptable.

I've owned many other 'premium' systems that were worse.

Of course, I've had a number that were better too.

I spent a lot of money upgrading my last car and won't do that again.

I've learned to lower my expectations.

I find the B&W sounds good at 1/3 (up to 1/2 volume) when cruising at relatively low speed (low ambient noise).

Any significant exterior noise is too much for the system to counter cleanly. If I have my volume above half way, the tonal balance just drops off (maybe because the stock sub just can't keep up SPL wise?).

Last edited by Slee_Stack; 05-11-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Whether the B & W sounds good or bad depends on the music you listen to. I've found it is excellent for music with acoustic guitars and I'm told that it is excellent for jazz, but never wanted to torture my ears to find out. Unfortunately it is pedestrian for the kind of music I usually play.

On the other hand my missus' V40T5 CC plays "my" music awesomely, but the tracks that sound great in the XKR are not very good in the V40.

That isn't enough to make me swap cars with my wife though.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:03 PM
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Whether the B & W sounds good or bad depends on the music you listen to. I've found it is excellent for music with acoustic guitars and I'm told that it is excellent for jazz, but never wanted to torture my ears to find out. Unfortunately it is pedestrian for the kind of music I usually play.

On the other hand my missus' V40T5 CC plays "my" music awesomely, but the tracks that sound great in the XKR are not very good in the V40.

That isn't enough to make me swap cars with my wife though.
Its funny you mention a Volvo. I hadn't really cared to much until I have had to drive a new V60 as a loaner while I'm having a wheel fixed on the XKR. Everything about the Volvo makes me sad not having my Jag except for the stereo which is much MUCH better. If there is something in the V60 that is better than my car then its time to make changes and ordered a Kicker sub, box, and amp.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Yeah, Volvo generally have good leather and great stereos. I've had several, and even their mid range stereos are better than the top end Jag for my preferred style of music, eg bassnectar, fluke etc. And having had 3 Jags now, 2 with the B & W stereos, I think it isn't just peculiar to my current car. My first XF had the B & W that got all sorts of awards, and it was very disappointing compared to the Volvo s60R I'd had immediately before it - for my eclectic tastes, that is. But then there were compensations, not the least being to get rid of the Volvo's 14m turning circle...

Old 05-11-2015, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder , sound is in the ear of the listener. I find the B&W in our XKR very good with the top up. On a 2-3 hour drive the sound in FM and FM HD is very good especially after I made our adjustments and decreased the bass a bit. CD's also plays very good and I don't have a need for the ipod or USB feature. During my brief free Sat. offer that sounded good as well but we didn't have enough interest to subscribe. We usually have the volume up about a quarter of the way which is sufficient. Now with the top down the system is just noise in the background. It is usually drowned out by exhaust or wind noise. I'll admit it's not as rich as our Lexus system but meets our need.

Quick Reply: Extremely Poor Quality Standard Audio System