Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Floor mats on top of floor mats? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/floor-mats-top-floor-mats-127704/)

Ceckman 09-30-2014 05:01 PM

Floor mats on top of floor mats?

1 Attachment(s)
For those with light colored interior carpeting (like I have) or those who just want to have another layer of protection (and not go all the way to WeatherTech style mats) I wanted to share my solution.

While ordering replacement mats for my XKR (I kept the originals in the plastic wrap.... I know I am nutty) I found that the mat manufacturer (Lloyd Mats) offered "clear over mats" which I additionally ordered. Both sets (carpet and clear over mats) were custom cut to match the floor exactly.

I've had them now about a year and they are terrific. They are made of the same material used for underlying for office chairs on carpeting (with grippy underside so they do not slide around).

Here's my best effort at a picture:

tberg 09-30-2014 05:47 PM

Sounds like a good idea, but don't they scuff the sides of shoes pretty badly?

Ceckman 09-30-2014 07:00 PM

No - not at all. It is a textured plastic surface (not completely smooth but pretty much) but I have not noticed any impact to my shoe heals or otherwise.

The underside (which you see as dots in the picture as the mats are "clear") is where the grippy prongs are located.

They also wipe clean very easily with a damp cloth.

mosesbotbol 10-02-2014 12:36 PM

The OEM floor mats are not that expensive to have a winter and summer pair.

Snide72 10-02-2014 02:02 PM

Floor Mats

Why protect your OEM floor mats by using those tacky clear ones? All you're really doing is ensuring that the next owner has 'like new' OEM floor mats ... because you never used them! My suggestion is for you to go to Auto_Etc eBay Store and order a custom 2-piece set of mats that will be the perfect size for your car. Speak with Dena and she'll walk you through the process. You get to select the color of the mats themselves, the contrasting color of the binding (the edges) as well as the contrasting color of the stitching. I added the optional Jag 'Leaper' logo and the heel pad and my total was still only $68. They were shipped to me 3 days later.

SynySTR 10-02-2014 02:47 PM

If I read your post correctly, the clear ones are "over mats" or "an additional layer of protection"

DO NOT DO THIS !!

I'm sorry to shout, but that is exactly what started the Toyota U/A problem. Double stacked floor mats. The hook in the floor is not tall enough to secure 2 layers of mats. (even though the top one is thin). There is the potential for that clear one to become trapped behind the brake pedal or jam against the accelerator pedal.

If I have misunderstood you and the clear one is the only mat you are using AND it has provisions for the original floor hooks to keep it from sliding forward, then please accept my apology.

Ceckman 10-02-2014 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Absolutely appreciate your concern and agree with it. In this case - these are very thin plastic designed to be "clipped in" (and that is the way I have them) and reside on top of carpet mats.

I "get it" that some may not understand the point (ie why not use mats as intended and let them get dirty / replace as needed). I can only say that I am a "clean freak" / OCD / nut job - that could not live with discolored or stained mats at any point (and these solve for my "disorder").

They allow the carpet and mat to remain spotless and that's just the way I need them to be!

Snide72 10-02-2014 05:51 PM

Contacting Auto Etc

In an effort to help fellow Jag owners who want to buy floor mats from Auto Etc. (which is where I bought mine after a Jag Forum reccomendation) I can no longer 'find' Auto Etc. I know they sell from their eBay store, but I can't locate it. Does anyone know how to contact them? Does anyone have their phone number, website or eBay address? They were so easy to work with and Dena was such a big help - it's frustrating as hell to not be able to reach them! Why wouldn't they just have a normal website where you can see their carpet colors, options, place your order, etc.?:icon_frown:

tberg 10-02-2014 11:23 PM

Snide72,
I also ordered many sets of mats from AutoEtc. on ebay for my other Jaguars, and I remember not being able to find them on ebay last year. As I recall they have changed their name to Avery Floor Mats, which you can google, and on ebay, I believe they call themselves "goboilers1." But, I see that they no longer offer some of the logo choices, like the leaper that I had on my previous sets. And if you look at the name "Jaguar" on one of their ebay listings, it is no longer the factory font. My guess is that they are no longer licensed to use Jaguar symbols.

Muddydog 10-03-2014 12:51 AM

I'd be willing to bet they were never licensed. They probably got a "cease and desist" letter.

desert_fox 10-03-2014 01:05 AM

ugh... light tan color here. i have the cheap clear ones over the posh tan mats. i might buy black oem floor mats and just go that route.

amcdonal86 10-03-2014 09:52 AM

My mother in law has these for her Infiniti. Personally I think she is too lazy to clean up after herself. Got dirt on your mat? Clean it up! :)

I could understand if it were for a car with children eating Cheerios and candy all day, but not a luxury car!

Bigg Will 11-28-2018 10:36 AM

The fact that you old get wetness in that area when you drive in the wet is telling me it's probably coming from UNDER the car. Lots of holes under that are only plugged with bolts (like the front seats) or grommets, what I would do first, look in the area under the car where the wetness is occurring in the car, see if you can find any rusted or water stained areas where water has drained out after a soaking the inside. If not, since the spot on the inside has already been subjected to water coming in, I'd park the car in a clean dry spot, put some paper under the car, pour a small amount of water in the water soak area inside the car and look for an out ward leak under the car. Only after that would I start pulling carpet.

jagtoes 11-28-2018 11:12 AM

I used to have an aunt who had clear plastic seat covers on all of her living room furniture. This brings me back to those early years. I prefer the soft feel of plush carpets under my feet but to each his own.

Ranchero50 11-28-2018 04:47 PM

This thread is over four years old...

GGG 11-28-2018 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ranchero50 (Post 1994430)
This thread is over four years old...

Absolutely correct.

It was only resurrected today because Bigg Will inexplicably posted a reply here (post #13) to an entirely different thread.

Graham

MarkyUK 11-28-2018 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes (Post 1994275)
I used to have an aunt who had clear plastic seat covers on all of her living room furniture. This brings me back to those early years. I prefer the soft feel of plush carpets under my feet but to each his own.

There's no harm in resurrecting an old thread IMO

I had neighbours in their 60's that had white carpet and a white couch in their living room, the couch was still covered in plastic 6yrs after they moved in and they never use the room, they also edged their lawn with a pair of scissors and cleaned their windows every 3 days...surprised they didn't wear the glass out!

They had 3 children who never visited them once in 6yrs...probably as they'd bring contaminants into the house...quite a sad affliction :(

Stuart S 11-28-2018 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by GGG (Post 1994446)
Absolutely correct.

It was only resurrected today because Bigg Will inexplicably posted a reply here (post #13) to an entirely different thread.

Graham

Inexplicably? His post has nothing to do with this thread and it appears that he owns an XF, not an XK. Clues to a possible explanation are in his Personal Profile.

One too many? :icon_toast:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...1cc96681c3.jpg

110reef 11-29-2018 12:54 PM

Holy necroposting, Batman!

Ceckman 12-06-2018 10:38 PM

As the thread starter.... I just thought I would advise that my mats are still clean! The affliction remains intact!