Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Forged Vortex Wheels (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/forged-vortex-wheels-218426/)

D1FWS 05-29-2019 09:10 AM

Forged Vortex Wheels

Hello

i have a 2009 4.2 XKR with Alcon brakes and forged vortex wheels.

I believe that the parts number for these wheels is:
C2P17497 (front)
C2P17498 (rear)

Recently I purchased two vortex wheels, hopping that they are identical apart from the colour/finish:
C2P25174 (front)
C2P25175 (rear)

Can anyone advise me?

thanks in advance

Cee Jay 05-29-2019 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by D1FWS (Post 2077421)
Hello

i have a 2009 4.2 XKR with Alcon brakes and forged vortex wheels.

I believe that the parts number for these wheels is:
C2P17497 (front)
C2P17498 (rear)

Recently I purchased two vortex wheels, hopping that they are identical apart from the colour/finish:
C2P25174 (front)
C2P25175 (rear)

Can anyone advise me?

thanks in advance

I did a quick Google Search for ONLY the C2P25175 (rear) as all the Fronts should be identical, and out of eighteen results, all eighteen were for the 2010 and later 5.0 cars, but I could not find any with offset information. Going by the ONLY for later models I would greatly assume that the offset is 46mm on the one you ordered and not the 29mm needed for earlier cars.

Google Search of C2P25175

MarkyUK 05-29-2019 12:55 PM

FYI I have vortex wheels and they are defo not forged*, nothing in the XK/R range was forged IIRC excepting those fitted to the GT-RS

I know this as have weighed them, for the size forged alloys would be at least 5lbs lighter per alloy

jahummer 05-29-2019 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by MarkyUK (Post 2077539)
FYI I have vortex wheels and they are defo not forged*, nothing in the XK/R range was forged IIRC excepting those fitted to the GT-RS

I know this as have weighed them, for the size forged alloys would be at least 5lbs lighter per alloy

There are 2 versions. The original silver versions WERE forged and had a 26 rear offset. Jaguar re-released them several years later for the face-lift X150 in a cast version, gloss black with machined face, lower price and applicable rear offset for the new E-diff.

Tervuren 05-29-2019 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by MarkyUK (Post 2077539)

There was never enough information to conclude if what you have are replicas or not.

The two people with weights both bought them online instead of being OEM.

That said, the same design of wheel; forged vs cast, will weight about the same.

The advantage of forged wheels is not tensile strength, lighter weight material, or stiffness.

The advantage is the forged material can deflect for more cycles without damage and can deflect farther without damage.

This does allow the designer to work to different tolerances in the design when it comes to forces when in use. This is why some forged wheels are lighter than some cast wheels.

However with same design of wheel in either process there won't be an extreme difference in weight.

For a racer running up on curbs and making hard contacts; the difference between a cracked wheel and driving off from a hit can be forged vs cast.

An important aspect of modern low profile tires and their larger wheels is stiffness. This stiffness requires more material and weight.

Everything I have read is that the original 4.,2L XKR-S came with Vortex Forged wheels.

Later a cast version in similar styling came out as a Vortex Cast wheel.