XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Found cool mod craftsman on Etsy

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 05:39 PM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Found cool mod craftsman on Etsy

Found this guy on Etsy who does some really nice work. I was looking for a metal footrest for my XK. He didn’t have the right year but said I could take some pictures and measurements and he could work with those. I was also thinking of something for the plain stainless bottoms of the cup holders too. Check out his stuff I bet you might get your own ideas.

Jim

Jaguar Items

The following 4 users liked this post by Jdrasp:
chiefmd (04-19-2018), jahummer (04-19-2018), Simon Tan (04-19-2018), Stuart S (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Nice stuff, but ...

Jaguar is known to aggressively protect its trademarks, including the Leaper and Growler logos. Just try to find aftermarket floor mats that are made in the USA and replicate the OEM mats with the Jaguar name and Leaper logo. They are no longer available on the aftermarket. As soon as Jaguar learns of this Etsy artisan, their lawyers will send him a "cease and desist " letter alleging trademark infringement and threaten him with litigation and damages including, but not limited to, statutory or actual damages, unlawful profits, and attorney's fees. His Jaguar logo items will then be off the market, unless Jaguar agrees to enter into a licensing agreement with him.

Don't blame Jaguar for putting this small fry out of business. Failure to timely protect your trademarks can result in losing them to the Public Domain. All companies protect their trademarks, most notably Coca-Cola. They really have no other choice.

Bottom line: if you like his stuff, hurry up and buy it now while it's still available.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

What Stuart said. Crazy to even think of putting an other companies logo on something you sell.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:27 PM
Received 231 Likes on 105 Posts

The guy's out of Poland. If all the Jag logo keychains, puddle lights, and other items from China on eBay are any indication, he's probably similarly out of the reach of Jag's trademark enforcers.

Last edited by Simon Tan; 04-19-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:45 PM

Yea, first thing I asked him is if he had the license. He said no as I expected but I also noticed he’s in Poland. So hopefully I can get some neat things.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Well priced items from their appearance.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:46 AM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Nice stuff, but ...

Jaguar is known to aggressively protect its trademarks, including the Leaper and Growler logos. Just try to find aftermarket floor mats that are made in the USA and replicate the OEM mats with the Jaguar name and Leaper logo. They are no longer available on the aftermarket. As soon as Jaguar learns of this Etsy artisan, their lawyers will send him a "cease and desist " letter alleging trademark infringement and threaten him with litigation and damages including, but not limited to, statutory or actual damages, unlawful profits, and attorney's fees. His Jaguar logo items will then be off the market, unless Jaguar agrees to enter into a licensing agreement with him.

Don't blame Jaguar for putting this small fry out of business. Failure to timely protect your trademarks can result in losing them to the Public Domain. All companies protect their trademarks, most notably Coca-Cola. They really have no other choice.

Bottom line: if you like his stuff, hurry up and buy it now while it's still available.
I get what you are saying 100%, and you are right about Coca-Cola, even worse is Porsche. You can't even use an outline of a Porsche car as they defend their "Trade Dress" rights for the registered shapes of their cars along with everything else. BTDT and got the T-shirt in the package with the cease and desist letters a few times. Sadly for them they were in the wrong with me. Kind of hard to sue one of your own authorized parts dealers that you have been shipping parts to for years under the same name(that they had issues with) without any issues. But all of these companies have a building full of lawyers for just this type of thing and they get restless on occasion and send out notices to thousands at a time.

However, all this guy has to do is drop the Jaguar Logo stuff and he can still do custom logos etc. Besides why buy a door sill with the Jaguar logo when that is what you already have, he needs to stick with custom logos and he should be OK.

Cheers,

Dave

Old 04-20-2018, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Back in my Ferrari days we had the same issues with all of the stuff coming out of china. The big item was the fender shield which from Ferrari was almost $1K for the pair and china would copy them for $100 . Carpets were another item that were copied. Anything that is made and there is a good market for it then china would copy it. Does anyone know where I can get my Rolrex repaired.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:12 PM

Here is a picture of my new cup holders. They look great! They came with 3m two sided tape on the back. I haven’t attached them permanently yet but you can see how they look.

He needs to redo the footrest because it was too big but he told me any adjustments would be on him since we are figuring this out together.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by 10XKR
even worse is Porsche. You can't even use an outline of a Porsche car as they defend their "Trade Dress" rights for the registered shapes of their cars along with everything else.
Ironic for a company that stole its design from Tatra and was successfully prosecuted for it. If thats not enough, Porsche stole millions from Germans who never got a single car they paid for. And even if thats not enough, Fernidad Porsche was imprisoned for stealing labor.