XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Garage Opener

Old 11-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

I wanted to thank Stuart for his detailed description of syncing my garage door opener. I too tried several times without luck until I saw Stuarts post. You need to follow it closely.
Car doesn't need to be running, just key in your pocket.
Thanks again!!!

Old 11-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,131 Likes on 3,378 Posts

Originally Posted by hawaii
I wanted to thank Stuart for his detailed description of syncing my garage door opener. I too tried several times without luck until I saw Stuarts post. You need to follow it closely.
Car doesn't need to be running, just key in your pocket.
Thanks again!!!
Hawaii,

I'm glad it worked for you, too! I should have copyrighted the instructions to fund my retirement!

To increase my "Thanks" tally, I'd appreciate your going back to my post #12 and clicking the Thumbs Up icon on the bottom far right.

Stuart

Old 11-29-2012, 01:33 AM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Ohhhh thats how you do it! Sure thing.
Thanks again!

Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage Opener

I hope it will work if I will try it to my garage door opener, If I will, advance thank you for the information you've share for us especially Stuart S.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 264 Likes on 145 Posts

Has anyone successfully programmed two cars with Homelink for the same door? I can only get one car to work at a time. I tried programming two cars at exactly the same time so the rolling code is the same (it requires two people to try this) but it didn't work. Grrr...

Old 04-06-2016, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,143 Likes on 3,081 Posts

Originally Posted by XJDanny
Has anyone successfully programmed two cars with Homelink for the same door? I can only get one car to work at a time. I tried programming two cars at exactly the same time so the rolling code is the same (it requires two people to try this) but it didn't work. Grrr...
Yes, numerous cars, same doors. I had to make the car's homelink "learn" from a different remote, the kind that clips to the visor. The procedures for making the Homelink Learn different remotes is in the User Manual. Now I have three separate clip-in remotes sitting in a cabinet, but the four vehicles work just fine.

The following users liked this post:
XJDanny (04-07-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Default How To Program Multiple Cars

Danny,

I programmed 4 cars for my garage door, the 3 in my household plus my daughter's Buick Enclave (she's at my house often with her kids). See my previous post #12. Here's how to program multiple cars:

Step 1: Clear the Homelink in each car by holding down the outside 2 buttons until the light above Button #2 flashes quickly.

Step 2: Prepare to Initialize the Homelink in each car. Open your garage door and then unplug your garage door opener motor.

Step 3. Initialize the Homelink in each car:
1. Get the remote control transmitter that came with the garage door opener and go sit in car #1.
2. Hold the remote control transmitter next to the HomeLink button you want to initialize and press them both until the HomeLink light above the middle button flashes quickly (about 10 seconds). Release both buttons.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 for each additional car. Use the same transmitter to initialize each car. After all cars have been initialized, go to Step 4.

Step 4. Program the Homelink in car #1:
1. Plug the garage door opener motor back in.
2. Open the panel on your garage door opener motor housing and press the red (usually) "send" button to send the rolling code to car #1.
3. HURRY! Get back in your car and within 10 seconds press the HomeLink button you just initialized and hold it until the light bulb(s) in the garage door motor housing flash off and on. Release that HomeLink button and then press it again (for 2-3 seconds). It should work to open and close your garage door. (If not, try repeating the above steps for Button #2 and Button #3.

Step 5. Program the Homelink in more cars:
Repeat Step 4.2 and 4.3, above, for each additional car.
Do not unplug the garage door opener motor. When you're all done, put the cover back on the motor housing.

Note that if a Homelink transmitter in any car subsequently loses its programming, you will have to reprogram all of the cars at the same time since the rolling code will have changed.

Good luck, and let us know if this works. Print these instructions so you can refer to them when you're working on this.

If this was helpful, please press at the bottom right.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 04-07-2016 at 06:57 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Dayjag (04-07-2016), EastCoastYost (04-15-2018), tberg (04-06-2016), XJDanny (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,885 Likes on 1,279 Posts

Very odd. When I paired my XK's opener button, I didn't have to do anything with my already paired Lexus, or the wife's Acura. Just added the XK, and all three work fine with the single garage door, although I did follow the instructions that came with the door opener (Genie), and not those with the car, as I didn't have an owner's manual at that time (bought one later on eBay).

XJDanny (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

If your Genie is an older unit that is not a "rolling code" opener, you would be able to separately program additional cars without affecting other previously programmed cars. It's possible that different manufacturers' openers work differently. I have a Chamberlain opener and wrote the above instructions based on what I had to do to get it to work. Those instructions might not apply to other brands.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member

I don't have an owner's manual either, KJ. I followed the directions for the XKR from the directions in the owner's manual in my 02 XJR. It worked but when I go to program the second car, the car that is already programmed stops working. Then I tried programming both cars at the same time but could only get one to work. I know these things are finicky so I probably just have to try programming them at the same time again like Stuart suggested. If I'm successful, I'll follow up with another post.

Thanks for the feedback, Cee Jay, Stuart, and KJ!

Old 04-07-2016, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member

If at first you don't succeed...

Old 04-08-2016, 10:05 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by XJDanny
I don't have an owner's manual either, KJ. I followed the directions for the XKR from the directions in the owner's manual in my 02 XJR. It worked but when I go to program the second car, the car that is already programmed stops working. Then I tried programming both cars at the same time but could only get one to work. I know these things are finicky so I probably just have to try programming them at the same time again like Stuart suggested. If I'm successful, I'll follow up with another post.

Thanks for the feedback, Cee Jay, Stuart, and KJ!
I do believe that the Garage Door Units themselves have a finite number of 'remotes' they can pair with. I've had the issue you're describing and the way I solved it was to clear the memory on the garage door unit itself. Then I had to program in the cars I wanted. I had problems when I tried to do more than 4 or 5. I wish I could be more specific, but it's been a couple of years since I had the issue, and all the 'new' cars I'm buying are old and don't even know what homelink is. /chuckles

Old 04-08-2016, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rahtok
I do believe that the Garage Door Units themselves have a finite number of 'remotes' they can pair with. I've had the issue you're describing and the way I solved it was to clear the memory on the garage door unit itself. Then I had to program in the cars I wanted. I had problems when I tried to do more than 4 or 5. I wish I could be more specific, but it's been a couple of years since I had the issue, and all the 'new' cars I'm buying are old and don't even know what homelink is. /chuckles
How did you clear the memory on the garage door unit?

Old 04-09-2016, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

To clear memory, depress and hold the first and third door buttons down until the unit flashes a few times, about five seconds.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
To clear memory, depress and hold the first and third door buttons down until the unit flashes a few times, about five seconds.
Thanks but I meant how do you reset the memory on the garage door unit itself.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

Hold down the "Learn" button for 5-10 seconds.

XJDanny (04-10-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 02:09 AM
Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Worked like a treat after 20 or so unsuccessful attempts following the instructions in the owners' manual!!!

Thanks!

Phil

Old 02-28-2018, 04:29 PM
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S

Here's how I programmed the HomeLink buttons in my 2009 XKR for my rolling code garage door.

The HomeLink buttons inside your car must first be initialized in order to be recognized by the rolling code receiver. But before you do so, you have to clear the HomeLink transmitter buttons in your car by holding down the outside 2 buttons until the light above Button #2 flashes quickly. Then you can initialize each HomeLink button. Follow these steps:

1. Open your garage door and then unplug your garage door opener motor.

2. Next, get the remote control transmitter that came with the garage door opener and go sit in your car.

3. Hold the remote control transmitter next to the HomeLink button you want to initialize and press them both until the HomeLink light above the middle button flashes quickly (about 10 seconds). Release both buttons.

4. Plug the garage door opener motor back in.

5. Open the panel on your garage door opener motor housing and press the red (usually) "send" button to send the rolling code to the car.

6. HURRY! Get back in your car and within 10 seconds press the HomeLink button you just initialized and hold it until the light bulb(s) in the garage door motor housing flash off and on. Release that HomeLink button and then press it again (for 2-3 seconds). It should work to open and close your garage door. (If not, try repeating the above steps for Button #2 and Button #3.

You can repeat the above steps for the other 2 buttons if you want to program all of them to work to open your garage door or another door. If you have more than one car, you should to program all of them at the same time so they all have the same rolling code.

Hope this helps,

Stuart
p.s. If this worked for you, consider giving me a "Thanks" by clicking the Thumb Up icon at the bottom right of this post.
Stuart:

Thank you. I can now open my garage door without the opener supplied remote hanging on the passenger visor.

Feff

Stuart S (02-28-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 11:28 AM
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

One thing that has not been mentioned in problems programming a Homelink remote is the age of the garage door opener.

Newer versions of Chamberlain, Liftmaster, Raynor, Accessmaster and Sears Craftsman openers with a yellow antenna and yellow learn button are not directly compatible with an older version of the Homelink found in may older XK's.

You may need to purchase a HomeLink Repeater Kit for Security+ 2.0™ garage door openers.

The repeater accepts and converts a non-compatible HomeLink signal into a Security+ 2.0™ compatible signal. The repeaters are available on Amazon, eBay, etc.

Ken

The following 2 users liked this post by khsjsilver:
007XKR (08-03-2020), Stuart S (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 02:58 PM
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Do you know how old is old? Before ...?

Originally Posted by khsjsilver
One thing that has not been mentioned in problems programming a Homelink remote is the age of the garage door opener.

Newer versions of Chamberlain, Liftmaster, Raynor, Accessmaster and Sears Craftsman openers with a yellow antenna and yellow learn button are not directly compatible with an older version of the Homelink found in may older XK's.

You may need to purchase a HomeLink Repeater Kit for Security+ 2.0™ garage door openers.

The repeater accepts and converts a non-compatible HomeLink signal into a Security+ 2.0™ compatible signal. The repeaters are available on Amazon, eBay, etc.

Ken

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Garage Opener