XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Nasty Noises XKR. Mirrors wont fold back

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 01:31 AM
Received 53 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Nasty Noises XKR. Mirrors wont fold back

Trying to get to grips with my new to me XKR and apart from the occasional complete failure to get the ignition up there are a couple of other issues I could do with some help with.
I know its a 1st world problem but often the indicator ticking sound sounds very harsh and metallic as does the door open chime as if the speaker that produces the sound is damaged, other times it sounds perfectly normal, is the sound generated at the instrument cluster or is there a separate sounder somewhere?

Another irritating problem is the left hand mirror doesn't return back to the driving position all the way after being folded in. It always moves and doesn't make any undue noises but requires physically moving to the proper position. Is there a limit switch or sensor that can be adjusted or maybe a repair kit to replace the drive internals.

I appreciate these are very minor issues but it make my OCD tingle. Ha

Many Thanks

Old 03-10-2022, 03:24 PM
Received 282 Likes on 159 Posts

Sounder: on rear of Instrument cluster circuit board, within the IP housing.
I wonder if it too could be affected by the Midlands high humidity/possible corrosion?
Mirror: Remove the plastic cover (its press fit). Clean and lubricate as appropriate.
Please post what you find.

best regards,
Bill

Old 03-10-2022, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

It;s a 16yr old car and the first year of production, learn to live with it or be prepared to spend a few £££'s

You gets what you pay for

Old 03-10-2022, 05:00 PM
Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
It;s a 16yr old car and the first year of production, learn to live with it or be prepared to spend a few £££'s

i don't think the folding in mirror models are that old.I know my 2007 XKR didn't have folding mirrors on it

Old 03-10-2022, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

That is probably because they were an option initially. My 07 had them and I think they became standard in 08.

Old 03-11-2022, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by MarkyUK

The latest production X150 is now eight years old. The model is in transition from "Modern" to "Classic".
However, the technology of the IP sounder and folding mirrors is unchanged through the current models.
Disassembly, cleaning and lubrication will likely return their function "as new".
We enthusiasts must have "deep pockets", must be or become competent techs or sadly, become former owners.
So, welcome new XK owners. Help us keep the model alive and supported by JLR and after-market vendors!

Old 03-12-2022, 03:19 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by Spitjag
..... Another irritating problem is the left hand mirror doesn't return back to the driving position all the way after being folded in. It always moves and doesn't make any undue noises but requires physically moving to the proper position. Is there a limit switch or sensor that can be adjusted or maybe a repair kit to replace the drive internals. .....
The mirror head is designed to fold on impact to avoid it being destroyed. When this happens, the fold motor drive 'peg' pops out of the locating hole and the mirror head goes into the folded position. The Owner's Handbook gives the procedure for re-engaging it BUT this doesn't always work!

When the drive peg doesn't re-engage in the hole, the mirror head will move when powered but NOT to the correct position. To resolve this, power unfold then manually move the mirror head in and out until you feel it pop back into the drive. Often it has to be moved beyond the normal unfolded position for this to happen but it's obvious by feel when it clicks into place.

Graham

The following 4 users liked this post by GGG:
bgpenguin21 (09-15-2023), Bill400 (03-12-2022), peterv8 (03-13-2022), Stuart S (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 10:12 AM
Received 278 Likes on 103 Posts

I put some sealer in the "loudspeaker" at the back of the gaugepanel, also like you wanted a lower volume

Old 09-15-2023, 10:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the first sage advice I've read for the power folding mirror not closing/opening to the correct position. I tried this and you definitely have to "unfold" the mirror more forward to get it to pop back into the drive as you fold it back in. Unfortunately, this did not work.

My issue is that the passenger side mirror folds in TOO far and nudges the window glass. Compared to the driver's side, it folds in over 1.5 inches too far. When it unfolds, it does lock to the proper position. The real issue is when you put the window down when the mirrors are folded in and then put it back up. The mirror kicks in a bit further without the window blocking it. And the windows going down and then up happens automatically when you put the convertible top down and up on an '06. My '01 does not automatically roll the windows down when putting the top down and does not automatically roll them up when putting the top up.

So, when the window goes up it catches the mirror and then you do get a loud POP! Parking then becomes a matter of always folding in the mirrors absolutely as the last step!

I am not the first owner and the car has had this issue since I bought it back in 2014. It has been a few years since I've forgotten to make sure the mirrors were not folded in when putting up the windows, but I'd like to not have to remember this!

Anyone know of any other non-intrusive measures I can try? Is there a way to adjust it so that it does not fold in so far? Otherwise, it is going to be looked at by the Jag dealer and we know what then happens! $$$.

Old 09-16-2023, 12:19 PM
Default Review post #7

Originally Posted by ynotfl62
This is the first sage advice I've read for the power folding mirror not closing/opening to the correct position. I tried this and you definitely have to "unfold" the mirror more forward to get it to pop back into the drive as you fold it back in. Unfortunately, this did not work.

My issue is that the passenger side mirror folds in TOO far and nudges the window glass. Compared to the driver's side, it folds in over 1.5 inches too far. When it unfolds, it does lock to the proper position. The real issue is when you put the window down when the mirrors are folded in and then put it back up. The mirror kicks in a bit further without the window blocking it. And the windows going down and then up happens automatically when you put the convertible top down and up on an '06. My '01 does not automatically roll the windows down when putting the top down and does not automatically roll them up when putting the top up.

So, when the window goes up it catches the mirror and then you do get a loud POP! Parking then becomes a matter of always folding in the mirrors absolutely as the last step!

I am not the first owner and the car has had this issue since I bought it back in 2014. It has been a few years since I've forgotten to make sure the mirrors were not folded in when putting up the windows, but I'd like to not have to remember this!

Anyone know of any other non-intrusive measures I can try? Is there a way to adjust it so that it does not fold in so far? Otherwise, it is going to be looked at by the Jag dealer and we know what then happens! $$$.
Roll the windows down for clearance. Electrically fold mirrors. Manually pull the problem mirror out to match the correct mirror plus a few degrees.
hear a snap of engagement? If not apply WD40 liberally to the joint. Try again. Rock the mirror wing against the stop.
Let us know about your success.

Old 09-16-2023, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

From your signature it looks as if you are in the wrong forum. This is the X150 Forum (USA 2007-2015) XKs and XKRs. Your signature shows you owning an X100.l You will have much better luck addressing your issue there. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 03:49 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by ynotfl62
This is the first sage advice I've read for the power folding mirror not closing/opening to the correct position. I tried this and you definitely have to "unfold" the mirror more forward to get it to pop back into the drive as you fold it back in. Unfortunately, this did not work.......
Originally Posted by ralphwg
From your signature it looks as if you are in the wrong forum. This is the X150 Forum (USA 2007-2015) XKs and XKRs. Your signature shows you owning an X100.l You will have much better luck addressing your issue there. Good luck.
Exactly. The X100 mirrors are SIMILAR to the X150 but not IDENTICAL.

Graham

Old 09-17-2023, 05:30 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,007 Likes on 715 Posts

In my case, there was significant oxidation of the mirror’s mounting assembly. We had it cleaned up, lubed, and now it operates correctly.