XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Louvered hood (bonnet) for my XKR

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 09:57 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Louvered hood (bonnet) for my XKR

There's pretty much nothing I can think of that would improve on the looks of my XKR with the possible exception of a louvered hood. I saw one at the dealership and just fell in love. Anyone know how I can get one. I know it will be expensive, but I grew up around hot rods and classics with louvers.

Once got a ride in a Type 35 Bugatti and looking and listening to that beautiful engine through the louvered hood was heavenly. I was just a high school kid riding a Honda 50 and this light blue Bugatti pulls out in front of me so I followed him down Sunset in LA. His exhaust smelled like popcorn popping. He turned a corner and promptly ran out of gas! I stopped and gave him a lift home to pick up a gallon or two and got a ride for my trouble. I still ride a Honda that shares garage space with that beautiful XKR.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:33 AM
Received 231 Likes on 105 Posts

I wouldn't want to know how much it would cost or if it's even available, but maybe a replacement hood from an XKRS-GT? It's got much bigger louvered vents that run almost the length of the hood. Probably be cheaper to just have one custom made from a standard XK hood.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:34 AM
Received 231 Likes on 105 Posts

It really would look pretty cool in body color on a standard XKR.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by winlr
There's pretty much nothing I can think of that would improve on the looks of my XKR with the possible exception of a louvered hood. I saw one at the dealership and just fell in love. Anyone know how I can get one. I know it will be expensive, but I grew up around hot rods and classics with louvers.
I can see your eye and concur. It was one of the prominent features (out of necessity) on several of the heart stopping Jaguars, including the E-type.

Ironically, I believe in moderate climates, and warm summers, the 5.0 XKR could actually use additional venting. It gets too hot under the hood.

As you know those vintage louvers were stamped. There is a way!
But let me first ask one of the guys at the shop that has quite a bit of OEM experience if there would be any downsides. They are at SEMA this month.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:04 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

There is at least one louver press operator in Portland, OR. As I recall, he does smaller louvers. Steve's Auto Restoration
4440 S.E. 174th Ave
Portland, OR 97236
Phone: 503.665.2222
parts@realsteel.com

This could be a daunting porject as underhood bracing must be dealt with, which could mean removal/reinstalling the bracing. You might be able to work around the bracing. There are numerous vendors of aftermarket louver panels, which are grafted onto OEM hoods. Start with RunCool Hood Louvers - Hood Vents For Your Vehicle - Cool Your Engine. Let us know what you do. Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Note, I would not cut the hood to install the louvers.
You will take a great deal of vital structural strength out of it, and possibly create a guillotine.

There is another way.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Rey
There is at least one louver press operator in Portland, OR. As I recall, he does smaller louvers. Steve's Auto Restoration
4440 S.E. 174th Ave
Portland, OR 97236
Phone: 503.665.2222
parts@realsteel.com

This could be a daunting porject as underhood bracing must be dealt with, which could mean removal/reinstalling the bracing. You might be able to work around the bracing. There are numerous vendors of aftermarket louver panels, which are grafted onto OEM hoods. Start with RunCool Hood Louvers - Hood Vents For Your Vehicle - Cool Your Engine. Let us know what you do. Thanks.
Looking at the XJS that was modified I would not have done it that way . It's an add on and not integrated into the hood. Now considering they can make them out of aluminum you could probably do a nice job welding them into the XK hood similar to the GT.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

All MetalShaping - Powered by vBulletin

There are threads about doing louvers. I would never consider welding on the hood surface.