Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Heated rear screen button on when starting. (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/heated-rear-screen-button-when-starting-136213/)

powerhouse 02-05-2015 02:17 PM

Heated rear screen button on when starting.

Just though i throw this question out there. Lately when i start my car the rear heat screen button comes on. I press it off and it stays off. It keeps doing this when i start the car any time. Any answers and before anyone says anything , it's not a battery issue. it's 100%.

jimbov8 02-05-2015 02:22 PM

Same thing happened on mine for both front and back. I believe it happens when the car senses a low outside temperature.

Didn't happen when the temperature was slightly higher than 0.

powerhouse 02-05-2015 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by jimbov8 (Post 1155241)
Same thing happened on mine for both front and back. I believe it happens when the car senses a low outside temperature.

Had thought about that, maybe this is why, snow and frost here this last few weeks, bitterly cold, good call. Will keep an eye and see will it stay of when the temp goes up.

apachegogo 02-05-2015 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by jimbov8 (Post 1155241)

Yep same happens to me, its just built in, its useful though sometimes it does get it wrong when the temperature is low but there is nothing to clear. So its just a guess made on the temperature

powerhouse 02-05-2015 03:23 PM

Thanks guys, first winter with this car, my old 04 xk8 hadn't got this fuction, just press on and off, but it had a heated front screen, don't know why it isn't on a 07 model, just a defrost button.

thocar 02-05-2015 04:29 PM

Itīs working from 5 degrees celsius or lower outside temperature.

sov211 02-05-2015 06:36 PM

Yes, this is an automatic feature; the mirrors also are heated automatically, and the front windscreen if your car has this feature.
Now, if you use your XK in winter conditions and for relatively short runs, you can understand why the battery discharges! If you have a garage with electrical source, a CTEK battery maintainer is the cure for any electrical issues caused by low battery voltage (and the symptoms are varied and random).

DpezXK8 02-05-2015 11:10 PM

That sounds right with the 5 deg C, mine seems to come on automatically around when it's 40 deg F out.

I find it annoying more than anything as my rear window has yet to be fogged up. Even this afternoon I left a customers plant and it was 11 deg. out. Rear window was clear even though outside for 8+ hours.

Also wonder if that's part of the cause for the rear window separating on verts. Seen a few posts in the forum about it. I know there isn't a timer on the defroster as mine doesn't shut off unless I do it manually. All I do know is every time I start the car the first thing I do is shut off the defroster as it's winter here.

Ngarara 02-05-2015 11:30 PM

From the manual:

The front screen heater switches off automatically after 6.5 minutes. The rear screen and door mirror heaters switch off automatically after 21 minutes.
I've checked, and it applies to the 4.2 as well as the 5.0

DpezXK8 03-01-2015 08:54 AM

Good info Ngarara,

Must have missed that in the manual, thought I read it cover to cover.

Guess I haven't been in the car for more than 21 minutes or at least turned it off long before that.