Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Heating settings (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/heating-settings-213399/)

Ter11 01-30-2019 03:10 AM

Heating settings

Dear all,

Now with cold outside temperatures around 0 degrees centigrade the heating in mx 2011 Xk behaves not 100% satisfactory.

After cold start the hot air starts to come out of vents after about 4 minutes and for the next approx 10 minutes the heating produces a lot of heat. More than expected for the set temperature.

After total 15 minutes of highway driving the heat gets less. But soon after it actually gets to cold so that for a comfortable cabin temp I need to increase the temp setting for a couple of degrees.

In summary: after cold start the heating is too hot for 15 minutes and thereafter a bit too cold.

Temperature is usually sey between 22 and 24 degree centigrade. The behavior happenes like this both when in Auto mode or with manual settings, eg. Aircon off.

Br
ter

pwpacp 01-30-2019 07:18 AM

Sounds like the thermostat may be failing. Have monitored the coolant temperature with an OBD & cell phone app? (torque) That will tell you if it is opening and closing as it should. My 5.0 regulates around 186* but never gets above 203 or less than 170. Others will vary but you should not see extremes if all is working correctly.
There could still be other causes but since the cabin heating system is simply an extension of the engine cooling system I'd start there first.
Note, that thermostats can be sluggish rather than failing open or closed.

Cee Jay 01-30-2019 10:46 AM

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
That ^

jagtoes 01-30-2019 11:41 AM

I believe the OP is talking about the AC system and not the water temperature. It sounds like the system may be working as designed but you should have it checked by a dealer diagnostic's system. I believe there are specific codes to the systems function. Mine works similar with quick warm up followed by maintaining steady temp. What I see could be your concern is that when it reaches your temp setting it starts to cool down to maintain that temp. I don't think the system is that accurate so it will keep adjusting to try to meet your setting. I set mine to 70* F and in Auto mode and leave it there.

sov211 01-30-2019 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ter11 (Post 2020515)
Dear all,

Now with cold outside temperatures around 0 degrees centigrade the heating in mx 2011 Xk behaves not 100% satisfactory.

After cold start the hot air starts to come out of vents after about 4 minutes and for the next approx 10 minutes the heating produces a lot of heat. More than expected for the set temperature.

After total 15 minutes of highway driving the heat gets less. But soon after it actually gets to cold so that for a comfortable cabin temp I need to increase the temp setting for a couple of degrees.

What you describe is perfectly normal for a climate control system under these conditions because the temperature set (22 to 24 degrees C) refers to the FINAL cabin temperature, not the temperature as it exits the vent. Under cold conditions the system calls for full heat initially to quickly bring the cabin to the temperature you have selected. As the set temperature is reached there can be a corrective action (cool/cold air blended to achieve that set temperature). This is perfectly normal and correct operation. The best way to minimize the discomfort this has caused you is to use the floor distribution rather than the dash vent distribution option.

Cee Jay 01-30-2019 05:05 PM

Ah, I misinterpreted the OP's statement that the air got cold to mean that it hadn't reached final operating temp beforehand.
Yes, the Environmental Control System varies the output temperature in an attempt to maintain the selected setting. It can use both Heat and A/C within minutes of each other doing so.

Ter11 02-01-2019 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by sov211 (Post 2020878)

What you describe is perfectly normal for a climate control system under these conditions because the temperature set (22 to 24 degrees C) refers to the FINAL cabin temperature, not the temperature as it exits the vent. Under cold conditions the system calls for full heat initially to quickly bring the cabin to the temperature you have selected. As the set temperature is reached there can be a corrective action (cool/cold air blended to achieve that set temperature). This is perfectly normal and correct operation. The best way to minimize the discomfort this has caused you is to use the floor distribution rather than the dash vent distribution option.

correct.

the problem is that the system basically overreacts. First it is to hot and then after approx 15 minutes to cold. So when I do not want to fiddle around with the temp settings constantly I need to either put up with initial too hot or longer term too cold cabin temperature.

To be clear: the cab temperature in the XK is not terrible, but in my experience other cars with automatic climate control do a better job here. Does anyone share this view?

in particular I find it strange that the XK in auto mode does - after initial warm up phase - not use the dash vents at all to heat the cabin. Most of the hot air is blown to the leg room (rest probably is blown on windscreen). Therefore I find the temperature around the upper leg area sometimes a bit to low.

br
ter

110reef 02-01-2019 08:00 AM

The climate control in my XK works better than any other car I have ever had. Mine is on Auto and I rarely ever do anything except raise or lower the temperature. I have never had any other car that I have left in auto work so well, including our 5-year-newer Nissan, which I prefer to run in manual.

My BMW is the worst. It has temperature controls plus a thumb wheel. The thumb wheel seems to be coarse adjustment and I guess the temperature control is supposed to be fine adjust, but it flat out doesn't work. And running it in manual is not so simple either. Of course once you figure it out it is workable, but it is the worst system I have ever seen.

pwpacp 02-01-2019 08:12 AM

I miss read the OP's original post as well. Like 110reef, my xk has no trouble auto regulating temperature. Other than adjusting up/down temp, about the only other thing I do is turn it off with the top down or setting to cabin recirculate when red-neck trucks spew heavy black exhaust.

jagtoes 02-01-2019 09:14 AM

I have not considered how good or bad the system is as I have a convertible . What I mean is that being I use it for 3 seasons and usually don't drive in the rain or snow it is difficult for me to gauge how well it works. I always keep it in Auto and set at 70* F. Usually I start the car and while in warm up I drop the top. Always driving with the top down doesn't give me a chance to see how well it regulates the temp. On hot days I feel the AC and on cold days the heat along with the seat and steering wheel heaters. That being the case I assume it is working just fine.

carealtor 02-01-2019 11:31 AM

I think you are fiddling with it too much. Put it on auto, set the temp to the final temp that you like, and leave it alone. Yes, it will blast hot air as soon as it can in order to warm things up as quickly as it can. That's the way it works.

JackJohn 02-01-2019 11:59 AM

I run mine on Auto all the time, except in the heat of the summer, where I find it necessary to crank up the fan speed to keep the cabin cool.

Ter11 02-01-2019 02:40 PM

Thanks all for the comments so far.
Nobody runs the heating with AC off in the cold winter season?

Br
ter

Queen and Country 02-01-2019 03:48 PM

My approach is 'Old School'

I never have my climate control on during startup. And do not use heat for the first 3 minutes.

Reason, this is when the car needs the heat more than you do to get up to operating temperature.
Turning the heat on full blast before the car heats up only blows clod air inside and delays the heating process.
Lastly if you run the ac compressor during the time the engine is cold, you are putting stress on it for no reason.

I use the heated seats and steering, till car gets to up temp, then turn the seats and steering heat off and turn the air on.

As bonus my climate control is never confused, it always sees 178degree water as opposed to 0 to 178 jump.

One note on my car's programing the rear defroster comes on in cold weather at start up weather I have the climate control on or off. Naturally I quickly disable it.

jagtoes 02-01-2019 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country (Post 2021931)

I never have my climate control on during startup. And do not use heat for the first 3 minutes.

Reason, this is when the car needs the heat more than you do to get up to operating temperature.
Turning the heat on full blast before the car heats up only blows clod air inside and delays the heating process.
Lastly if you run the ac compressor during the time the engine is cold, you are putting stress on it for no reason.

I use the heated seats and steering, till car gets to up temp, then turn the seats and steering heat off and turn the air on.

As bonus my climate control is never confused, it always sees 178degree water as opposed to 0 to 178 jump.

One note on my car's programing the rear defroster comes on in cold weather at start up weather I have the climate control on or off. Naturally I quickly disable it.

Didn't I see someplace that the AC compressor is on continuously and it functions with a valve instead of a clutch on the compressor like old school systems. I don't understand the 178 degree water statement

Queen and Country 02-01-2019 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes (Post 2021954)
Didn't I see someplace that the AC compressor is on continuously and it functions with a valve instead of a clutch on the compressor like old school systems. I don't understand the 178 degree water statement

On the compressor, I am referring to the drag on a cold engine. Maybe our cars dont have this problem?

178 is about the water temperature when I turn the heat on.

u102768 02-01-2019 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ter11 (Post 2021744)
To be clear: the cab temperature in the XK is not terrible, but in my experience other cars with automatic climate control do a better job here. Does anyone share this view?

I have had a similar issue as you in both my '07 and '10 XKR's. The '07 was worse and it mainly happened in the colder months but about half way through my 4.5 mile journey to work the cabin would become uncomfortably warm for a minute or two before the system finally switched over to a cooler bias.

I don't see the issue in the summer, presumably because heat isn't required, even first thing in the morning.

You do seem to run your XK on quite a high temperature though. I used to leave my '07 on 19.5 deg C to try and counter the effect and my '10 is usually on 20 or 20.5.

scm 02-02-2019 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Ter11 (Post 2021744)
in particular I find it strange that the XK in auto mode does - after initial warm up phase - not use the dash vents at all to heat the cabin. Most of the hot air is blown to the leg room (rest probably is blown on windscreen).

Makes sense as hot air rises - pumping it out of the top vents would just heat your roof lining. ;)

Queen and Country 02-02-2019 11:18 AM

Dont know if any of you were Click & Clack the Tappet Brothers fans. God I miss them. Dowe Cheat'em & Howe

This question of when to turn the heat on was a big running debate.

guy 02-03-2019 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country (Post 2021931)

+1.
And I tend to only use the simultaneous floor and windscreen option. I always leave air conditioning to auto. Keeps the cabin nice and dry.