XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Hello from KY

Old 09-18-2017, 02:31 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Hello from KY

Hey everyone, new member here. Been driving a 2005 CLK Designo edition cabriolet for past 7 years and ready to make a change. Was looking at the E class convertible as a replacement when I came across pictures of the XK. More I looked the more I loved. Been reviewing this forum for a few weeks now and just a wealth of info so thought about time I joined.
So, I'm currently looking for 2012-2013 convertible in the $30's price range and 30's mileage range. I know, not easy to find, especially locally, but in discussions on a couple right now. It took me more than 10 months when I went looking for the CLK, so I've learned patience in vehicle searches.
Hope to be a member of the club soon though!

The following 2 users liked this post by Schmitty63:
ralphwg (09-18-2017), winstonsalemncxk (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 02:35 PM
Received 247 Likes on 175 Posts

Welcome!

Took me about 6 months to decide on an XK, then another six months to find one. Owned it for 2 months then got rear-ended. It has been in the body shop almost two months now. I am waiting patiently to get it back.

The following users liked this post:
Schmitty63 (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 03:20 PM
Received 233 Likes on 110 Posts

Welcome, Schmitty63! Keep us updated as your search progresses, feel free to ask questions, and when you take the plunge: be sure to let us know!

Schmitty63 (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Welcome and good luck. It took me 6 months to find one that I wanted but the problem was the color. There are several converts in your M/Y range and if you don't have a problem with the standard colors (black , white ,gray/silver) you shouldn't have difficulty finding one. Search the US and get a lot of pictures and just have it shipped home. Good luck in your hunt

Schmitty63 (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 04:09 PM

Thanks 110. That had to be majorly depressing! Two months in the shop has me a bit worried.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:11 PM

Thanks Peter. So many questions already answered while going though post histories! Looks to be a great forum.

The following 2 users liked this post by Schmitty63:
Tervuren (09-18-2017), winstonsalemncxk (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,131 Likes on 3,378 Posts

Because these cars are relatively rare, you may have to search nation-wide to find "the one" with the colors, options and low mileage you want. Be sure to get Pre-Purchase Inspections by (1) a Jaguar dealer and (2) a body shop approved by Jaguar to do aluminum repairs. The Jaguar dealer PPI will identify areas that need work, and can be used to negotiate a price reduction from the seller. The body shop will tell you if there were any paint or body repairs and if it has flood damage. CarFax is helpful to show where that car has been titled, but you can't rely on a "clean" CarFax since not all incidents are reported to them. Good luck with your search - finding "the one" will be worth the wait. In the meantime, use the search function of this Forum to increase your knowledge about your next Jag.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
GordoCatCar (09-19-2017), Schmitty63 (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Welcome aboard and good hunting!

Schmitty63 (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 08:41 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

Meow! Please let us know what you wind up buying.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:00 AM
Received 247 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmitty63
Thanks 110. That had to be majorly depressing! Two months in the shop has me a bit worried.

These bodies are all aluminum, with riveted construction. Significant body damage has to be done by a Jaguar certified shop. Jaguar will only sell parts to a certified shop. The nearest shop to me is 247 miles away.

Luckily, my damage was not so severe that I was able to use a local shop to do the work. Their biggest obstacle was that the top quit working after the accident. They manually had to open it to do the work.

I am expecting to get the car back this week, but when the body work is done the top still needs to be sorted out.

Schmitty63 (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 11:10 AM

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated!
Any members in the San Francisco area that can let me know who I could get to do a PPI and body check on this one and anything about San Francisco Toyota? As I'm 2000 miles away, there is no way I can go and check it out. A tad bit above my budget of $35k, especially with shipping cost but has definite potential!
Looks like a good deal on the surface being a one owner with such low miles. The carfax shows quite a few battery issues, but what I've read from numerous threads, could be due to lack of use and no trickle charger. Big assumption I know, but fits the profile at least with the low miles.

Hope this link works:
http://www.sftoyota.com/used/SAJWA4GB7CLB46103.htm?utm_source=CarGurus&utm_medi um=referral

Old 09-19-2017, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

My two cents. I've bought them sight unseen twice before and had no issues. The PPI's I had done were by Jaguar dealerships both times. I had them complete a CPO inspection, even though the car was too old to pre-certify.

On to your car. As the vehicle has had a few module issues, I would contact the service provider identified in the Carfax report and have them email the records to you. You will get a more complete picture of what initiated the service calls. Once you have that information, you can make a more informed decision.

If it were me, I would/ would not move forward without doing those two things.

Good luck with your search.

Schmitty63 (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Welcome to the forum. My most pertinent question for a new buyer is what is your intended use, duty and how long do you plan on keeping it? These cars seem to love daily use. I'd even venture to say most of the problems cars are the ones that aren't exercised. Low mileage isn't necessarily a good thing.

The early cars are about done depreciating, the '12-13's are close. I think now is a good time to get into a decent one. I would also ask that you test drive as many as you can find even if they don't have the options you want. Silver ones should be easy enough to find. Personally I'd buy an XKR with double or triple the mileage of the Toyota XK.

Schmitty63 (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 04:07 PM

Again, great advice Sean, will look into doing that as I didn't even think of that as an option.

Ranchero, I forgot to mention in my previous posts, but this will be my daily driver replacing the CLK. I put about 16-18k miles a year and usually keep a vehicle 6-8 years. Previously drove an Infiniti G35 for 8 years and have been driving the CLK for almost 7. Guess you can say I get the 7 year itch when it comes to my vehicles.

Definitely looking for some to drive, just not many close by. The local CarMax is supposed to be bring one up from Knoxville this week for me to test. Its close enough that its a no charge transfer.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:25 AM

I think I've found one! I have not seen this caviar color in any previous ads anywhere. Searching back through forum for comments and appears to be fairly rare, which I like. Looks gorgeous in the pictures in full sun and my wife even loves the color. Seems some say its too purple in the sun or too brown in dull light. Just starting the process of checking it out. Autocheck shows an left front impact accident before it was even sold for first time, so have to get more info on that. Unfortunately its over 1400 miles away and a private seller so I'm going to have to find some reliable third parties to check everything out for me before considering moving forward with an offer. I'm already starting a list of info to ask seller for. Any comments from all you pros are appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=466829700&hideBackL ink=true&Log=0

Old 09-26-2017, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

This is exactly the type of car you want.
You will be getting an opportunity to experience a new Jaguar- which itself is worth a lot.
And it gives you the option if you will preserve and pamper it.

Forget Carfax, PPI, ect. Thats not how the professionals buy. Indeed they buy sight unseen. But you buy on certain calculations. If the car has been garaged all its life, its been babied, it did not come out of the rust belt, if its passed the 25,000 mile test, if it hasnt had multiple partners- its a damn good car. And incredibly rare.

Come to a agreement- fly up to pick up the car. If it isnt what he described, take your check back with you. I have done this few times and they were the best cars I have ever had, better than the ones I brought new from a lot.

Consider the inverse- no ppi is going to tell you if the car was kept outdoors and the dash and top only has a year left on it. Or if half the paint has already been polished out of it.

Schmitty63 (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,885 Likes on 1,279 Posts

I think I've found one! I have not seen this caviar color in any previous ads anywhere. Searching back through forum for comments and appears to be fairly rare, which I like. Looks gorgeous in the pictures in full sun and my wife even loves the color. Seems some say its too purple in the sun or too brown in dull light. Just starting the process of checking it out. Autocheck shows an left front impact accident before it was even sold for first time, so have to get more info on that. Unfortunately its over 1400 miles away and a private seller so I'm going to have to find some reliable third parties to check everything out for me before considering moving forward with an offer. I'm already starting a list of info to ask seller for. Any comments from all you pros are appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark
Great color, one of those I didn't know about before purchasing mine (along with Emerald Fire).
Comes with a wind screen, that's a plus.
Only negatives I see are: no adaptive cruise, and its not an 'R' (I don't have those either, but would be on my shopping list if I were to replace my current XK).

Schmitty63 (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 02:05 PM

Great insights Q&C, thanks!
I'm waiting to hear back from initial contact, so hoping to get the ball rolling...

Queen and Country (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Great insights Q&C, thanks!
I'm waiting to hear back from initial contact, so hoping to get the ball rolling...
Couple of important tips.

He is the type of seller who is looking to see his efforts in maintaining the car be rewarded- not financially, but acknowledgement and the torch being passed. (note the only description of the car he has offered is how much love he put into it- not what the factory put into it) Probably why he does not want to trade it in where his efforts will be null and void. He wants to pick the buyer.

Do not drive this thing back from Albuquerque on I-40 when they salt the ground, because they use that local lava rock, not salt, and it destroys paint in one shot.

Schmitty63 (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,148 Likes on 3,084 Posts

Nice color, and a 'vert.
Like kj said though; not an //R and no adaptive cruise. Some people say either they don't use cruise control, or that they are happy with Normal Cruise. Me, I find myself cursing while driving my wife's car because hers doesn't have it. Thing is, if you've never HAD it, you will never MISS it. The same with her power output. When I NEED 510 horses, I'd like to HAVE it. Yes, I do use all those ponies, quite a lot.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 09-26-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Schmitty63 (09-26-2017)

Search this Thread