Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Help! About to purchase 2010 XK, service records have me worried (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/help-about-purchase-2010-xk-service-records-have-me-worried-211196/)

buffaloJag 11-29-2018 03:52 PM

Help! About to purchase 2010 XK, service records have me worried

Hi everyone,

As my post states, I'm about to purchase a 2010 XK Coupe with just under 30K miles on the odometer. The dealer I'm buying it from just sent me over the "major" repair bill he had (car was always serviced at the Jag dealer), and I am a little worried on the amount of work done. By the looks of things they did the Water pump, Front & Rear Upper Control Arms, Toe Links, Sway bar link ends, etc. Bill ended up being just shy of $7K. I linked the bill below. Are these common issues for these cars @ 25K miles? Are these repairs something I should be concerned about? Any advice would be much appreciated, I'm supposed to send the $ for the car tomorrow!!!

I'm really excited to become a Jag owner!

Link to repair bill:

repair bill

TexasTraveler 11-29-2018 04:02 PM

A quick search would provide more answers for you, but to answer your question, YES these are normal components that need to be addressed because of bad design on first generation water pumps and due to age of anything rubber on the suspension... So I would say this 2010 is in better shape than most because these items have been done already... Buy it and enjoy it if all other things check out... IMO

buffaloJag 11-29-2018 04:15 PM

Thank you for responding! Yeah, I saw pretty fast that the water pump was a common issue - the suspension components are really what worried me. It looks like it was all covered by a 3rd party "Easy Care" warranty. I may be wrong, however I would imagine that the Jag dealer gets paid direct by them, and I would assume would replace anything they could "get away" with.

TexasTraveler 11-29-2018 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by buffaloJag (Post 1994947)
Thank you for responding! Yeah, I saw pretty fast that the water pump was a common issue - the suspension components are really what worried me. It looks like it was all covered by a 3rd party "Easy Care" warranty. I may be wrong, however I would imagine that the Jag dealer gets paid direct by them, and I would assume would replace anything they could "get away" with.

I think you are correct... I would have loved for those items to be replaced when I bought my 2010 last year, My water pump was replaced but not the suspension parts. I have started replacing some of those suspension parts as I get the time... Another item that you may have to address is the AC drain "Duckbill" then vin # on your potential buy is later than mine but I can't remember what the cut-off is on the older duckbill, that the early 2010's still got... But even that can be addressed by a dealer for a cost or if your inclined DIY with a little perseverance...

Ranchero50 11-29-2018 04:48 PM

Ditto pretty much everything TT said. The rubber dust covers on the tie rods etc. were cast from a really poor rubberish material that breaks down over time (not mileage) and allows dirt to get into the teflon joints. It'll wear them out faster than expected.

Khan 11-29-2018 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by buffaloJag (Post 1994936)
Hi everyone,

As my post states, I'm about to purchase a 2010 XK Coupe with just under 30K miles on the odometer. The dealer I'm buying it from just sent me over the "major" repair bill he had (car was always serviced at the Jag dealer), and I am a little worried on the amount of work done. By the looks of things they did the Water pump, Front & Rear Upper Control Arms, Toe Links, Sway bar link ends, etc. Bill ended up being just shy of $7K. I linked the bill below. Are these common issues for these cars @ 25K miles? Are these repairs something I should be concerned about? Any advice would be much appreciated, I'm supposed to send the $ for the car tomorrow!!!

I'm really excited to become a Jag owner!

Link to repair bill:

repair bill

Don't buy it without a warranty. More things will break with age.

Tp10XKR 11-29-2018 10:20 PM

I just purchased my XKR two weeks ago. My history was the same plus a couple of batteries. Last owner didn’t keep it on a trickle charger. Buy a extended warranty and sleep at night. Trust me you won’t regret it

Cee Jay 11-29-2018 11:53 PM

Meh. I've gotten Free extended warranties when I've bought different cars. Never used a one of 'em.

If a person goes into a situation Expecting to need insurance, is it really a situation to get INTO in the first place???

Queen and Country 11-30-2018 01:08 AM

How do I get into the warranty business, there seems to be lots of folks buying them.

GGG 11-30-2018 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by buffaloJag (Post 1994936)
..... Are these repairs something I should be concerned about? .....

Welcome to the forum buffaloJag,

The bills show a careful owner who has had necessary maintenance and repairs done. It adds up to a significant amount of money but there's nothing out of the ordinary in the work listed. I'd be happy rather than concerned with that kind of provenance.

That being said, buying a used Jaguar is a lottery. If you can and will do your own repairs then don't worry. If you intend to use a dealer or an independent for maintenance and repairs - get a warranty.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham