XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Help with wheel spacers on 07 XK Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Help with wheel spacers on 07 XK Coupe

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some help/suggestions from those that have installed H&R DRM 20mm spacers on their XK's.

I've just started to install my spacers on the front wheels, but when I go to mount the tire back on, it seems that the factory bolts are too long. My Senta's have holes in the back which technically would accept a stud fitting into the cavity, but the bolts are about 1/4" too long preventing my wheels from sitting flush. Is my only resort griding downthe unthreaded part of the studs, or am I missing a step? (See attached picture).

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!
MPRESION

Attached Thumbnails Help with wheel spacers on 07 XK Coupe-vaughan-20130422-00784.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 07:54 AM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I had the same problem with my aftermarket wheels. I had the "pockets" on the back of the wheels made a little deeper so the stud would fit. Cost me $80 to get it done. I thought it was better then cutting/shaving the factory studs. Your call...

Old 04-23-2013, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I did not have any problem with my '08 XK rear wheels and the 20mm spacer. I did, however, when I put 15mm on the fronts. I simply used a high speed cutting tool to cut off the leading, non-threaded portion of the wheel bolts.

I just installed the same set (after selling my '08) on my new XF and it worked without any mods. The standard XF wheels have more indents than the XK had. If you do not like cutting, you could always purchase a set of new, shorter wheel studs from any automotive store.

Albert

Old 04-24-2013, 06:05 AM

Thanks guys.... looks like I'm gonna grind down the tips of the studs. Gonna hopefully get it done this weekend cause I'd like to take her out of storage and ready for the road.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Do any of you know if 20mm on the fronts if a 08 xkr with jupiters would work or still need grinding

Old 05-07-2013, 11:27 PM

Hello everyone, so after a bit of labour, I finally got the spacers on.... what a difference in stance! The car has 20mm spacers in the front, with 5mm spacers in the rear, plus the lowering springs from Spires. I literally finished the install about 30 minutes ago, so hopefully I'll be able to get some pics posted tomorrow in the daylight.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpresion
Hello everyone, so after a bit of labour, I finally got the spacers on.... what a difference in stance! The car has 20mm spacers in the front, with 5mm spacers in the rear, plus the lowering springs from Spires. I literally finished the install about 30 minutes ago, so hopefully I'll be able to get some pics posted tomorrow in the daylight.

Great!

Glad you like the difference. It is substantial to the point that even my wife noticed how much more aggressive the stance was with the spacers. The 20mm front and 15mm rear is the correct setup; I was mistaken when I listed mine backwards. I did it a good while back and I no longer own the car. But, used the very same spacers in the reverse setup (15mm front, 20mm back) on my new XF. Made a similarly significant difference visually as well as handling wise.

Albert

Old 05-08-2013, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by axr6
Great!

Glad you like the difference. It is substantial to the point that even my wife noticed how much more aggressive the stance was with the spacers. The 20mm front and 15mm rear is the correct setup; I was mistaken when I listed mine backwards. I did it a good while back and I no longer own the car. But, used the very same spacers in the reverse setup (15mm front, 20mm back) on my new XF. Made a similarly significant difference visually as well as handling wise.

Albert
Funny enough you say the comment of your wife noticing...cause after I completed one side, my wife came out into the garage, looked at the side that was done then walked over to the other side to compare, then she says "wow, that makes the car look so much better"

As for the rear spacer size, 15mm would have been too much on my XK in the rear which would have pushed it out too far. The 5mm worked perfectly on mine to give me the desired stance.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Funny enough you say the comment of your wife noticing...cause after I completed one side, my wife came out into the garage, looked at the side that was done then walked over to the other side to compare, then she says "wow, that makes the car look so much better"

As for the rear spacer size, 15mm would have been too much on my XK in the rear which would have pushed it out too far. The 5mm worked perfectly on mine to give me the desired stance.
So you took your rear offset from +29mm to +24mm with the 5mm spacers...

I guess someone gave you a good deal on those wheels...

Old 05-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

This winter I bought a 2008 XK with Carelia 19' wheels, but as the weather has been so beastly it's never been out of the garage. Would anyone happen to know what spacers would work with these wheels?
Regards,
White Bear.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by White Bear
This winter I bought a 2008 XK with Carelia 19' wheels, but as the weather has been so beastly it's never been out of the garage. Would anyone happen to know what spacers would work with these wheels?
Regards,
White Bear.
It all really depends on the set up you want to go with, but these are the H&R part numbers that work...

20mm - 4035633
15mm - 3035634

The following users liked this post:
White Bear (05-08-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 08:58 AM

Not the best pictures as these are just with my blackberry, but gives an example of pre (left side images) and post (right side images) of the results of the Spires springs and H&R spacers....

Attached Thumbnails Help with wheel spacers on 07 XK Coupe-pre-post-1.jpg   Help with wheel spacers on 07 XK Coupe-pre-post-2.jpg   Help with wheel spacers on 07 XK Coupe-pre-post-3.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Mpresion:
Byte Me (05-25-2013), Muddydog (05-15-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 01:33 AM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Was wondering why you chose Spire lowering springs over the other brands?
Your car looks great! I would like to do the same. My car is identical to your except interior color . Would love to see a shot outdoors when you get the chance!
Thanks

Old 05-23-2013, 01:34 AM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Also after grinding or cutting the threads ...are you still able to un bolt the spacers without problems with the threads?

Old 05-23-2013, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member

Not the best pictures as these are just with my blackberry, but gives an example of pre (left side images) and post (right side images) of the results of the Spires springs and H&R spacers....
So it looks like the Spires springs did not take it *too* low...

Do you know how much in inches/mm's the springs lowered the car?

What's the part number of the Spires springs you used?

I'm assuming this did not affect your camber/alignment...

TIA

Old 05-23-2013, 07:07 AM

I chose Spires for a few reasons, first because I did not want an overly agressive drop. I considered H&R and Mina, but chose Spries because of the minimal 0.8" drop (20mm). Also, the Spires springs are manufactured by Eibach exclusively for Spires, which gave me reassurance of a trusted brand.

I ordered these directly from Spires UK as their distributors are not authorized to ship overseas.

As for camber, no effect at all. I did do a realignment immediately afterwards.

As for the bolts, it was a minimal grind, only a couple of millimeters, and everything worked out well. It did not affect the threads as just the tip of the guide was shaved.

I hope to have better pics up soon... Just really haven't had much opportunity to get to it.

MPRESION

The following users liked this post:
rscultho (05-23-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member

That's great...I do not want to much of a drop either. The 20MM (that's what the website advertises on the drop) would be perfect for what I am looking for.

I'm assuming your ride comfort probably hasn't changed...but maybe your ride is a tad firmer?

Old 05-23-2013, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by rscultho
That's great...I do not want to much of a drop either. The 20MM (that's what the website advertises on the drop) would be perfect for what I am looking for.

I'm assuming your ride comfort probably hasn't changed...but maybe your ride is a tad firmer?
Ride is a tad bit firmer, but did retain a lot of its comfort. It was the perfect compromise for me.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

I sent an email to Spires asking if they had a distributor in the US for the springs, and included my car stats.

Interesting response...they said the lowering springs could not be used on the MY 2010+ XKR.
They are fine for the non SC (XK), but not for the XKR.

So, I am back to square one. For me, 1.3 inches or more is too much of a drop. The 20MM/.78 inch drop would be perfect.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

I would like to do it on my car too,

Who can tell me which part number i need for a xkr 2010?

Last edited by jagxk2008; 05-29-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Help with wheel spacers on 07 XK Coupe