XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Here I go again with a new garage

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default Here I go again with a new garage

OK so I just had my garage door opener replaced today. I was having to many ghost openings on my 16 year old one so I decided to step up and replace it. I got a Chamberlain 8550W belt drive opener with this MyQ Wifi feature. It replaced my old Liftmaster which is the same company. So now I have to go through the trick of pairing it with the Jag. I assumed it would be easy but I recall having problems doing this before. I went through the search function and read a few of the methods as well as the Homelink video. I gave up today and will try again tomorrow. And just to add to the issue I can't get the wifi/smart phone app to work either. The good news was the 2010 Lexus took me less then 15 seconds to pair. I am making a big assumption that because the earlier model worked that this one will work too. If anyone has this model and got it working I would like to know how you did it but I'll try all of the methods that I found on the search function .

Old 05-27-2016, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

I had to assist my Father-in-Law with his Ford Escape Homelink. After failing over and over then finally researching, I discovered that a stock Homelink is programmed thusly;
Button one for Genie openers
Button two for Craftsman/Chamberlain openers
Button three for Black & Decker openers (is B&D still around?)
Any of the three buttons can be reprogrammed to whichever opener you want, but you'll need to follow the Homelink instructions using a currently working remote.
I used the second button for my FiL's Escape and it worked great, after repeated fails on button #1.
For my XKR, I also had button #2 working for my Chamberlain, but I wanted button #1 for what I consider my first garage door, so I followed the Homelink Reprogramming from a working remote and now Button #1 works perfectly. I also programmed my other doors to the buttons I desired and I'm an door-opening-fool.
Same with the Wife's Lexus... had to use a working remote to program the #1 button on the Homelink.
Of course now I have three extra clip-on remotes that are never used sitting in my Key Cabinet.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 05-27-2016 at 10:30 PM. Reason: punctuation !
Old 05-27-2016, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,133 Likes on 3,380 Posts

jagtoes,

See my post #12, 6/21/2012: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/garage-opener-75297/ Be sure to read the subsequent posts by all the satisfied customers!

It worked for my Liftmaster rolling code opener, which didn't have the MiQ WiFi feature but I doubt that would make any difference. Although my method is from 2012, I think it might still work. Let us know if it worked for you.

Stuart

P.S. If you need to program multiple cars, see my post #27 in the above linked thread.

Last edited by Stuart S; 05-27-2016 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

We only have two unused remotes sitting in a drawer.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
jagtoes,

See my post #12, 6/21/2012: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/garage-opener-75297/ Be sure to read the subsequent posts by all the satisfied customers!

It worked for my Liftmaster rolling code opener, which didn't have the MiQ WiFi feature but I doubt that would make any difference. Although my method is from 2012, I think it might still work. Let us know if it worked for you.

Stuart

P.S. If you need to program multiple cars, see my post #27 in the above linked thread.
Well I'm sitting in the car and for the last 20+ minutes have been trying to make this work. So far no luck . Where I see a difference is when I hold up the garage door remote and press the overhead button at the same time the led in the console blinks slowly and never blinks rapidly. Also if I hold it for a minute the led goes out. So I'll take a break and try it later or tomorrow. I've used your method and the OM and the Homelink method and so far no luck. Somehow I think the remote is not pairing with the overhead. Maybe I need to move the remote around some more.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

A continued source of information this internet is. I've got a call into liftmaster but they are on holiday today so I'll need to get with them sometime during the next week or two. In the meantime I have been doing a little searching on the web and found some info. It seems the new Chamberlain/Liftmaster systems come with this new Security + 2.0 hardware. It is compatible to most 2007-2016 automobiles who have updated their Homelink SW to 4.0. Those manufactures who have not updated will need to get a Homelink repeater kit to make your car Homelink button work. The car mfg's had the new SW since 2008-2009 but may or may not updated their cars. I need to ask Homelink if they provided this SW to Jaguar and if they know it was updated in the car. I don't know if Jaguar can tell me the SW level of the HL nor whether they can update the car SW for the HL system. So my possibilities are 1. verify if my 2012 should have the 4.0 SW and then continue to try to make it work , 2. acquire the repeater and set up the system using it or 3. get another remote and put it on the visor or in the center console. I'll let you know what happens next.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:43 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default repeater was required for my 2010.

I could never get my 2010 XK to sync with my Sears (oem Chamberlain?). My wife's 2013 SRX had no problems. I tried Stuart's suggestions in his post, without success. Thus, I next called Homelink, who spent much time with me. Still no success. Eventually, they said the 2010 JAG SHOULD work, but didn't. So they sent me the repeater for free (I just had to pay for postage). And that works just fine. So I'd suggest that you ask for a free repeater.

Best of luck.

The following users liked this post:
jagtoes (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member

I had a similar problem with 12 XK vert. I called the people who installed the opener the owner of the installation company came out and got it working in about 5 minutes. How? you ask, he took the remote opener supplied by the manufacturer and held button 1 on the Homelink and waved the remote around the homelink's right side, within about 5-6" (looking at the windshield) and it connected immediately. Now I have two remotes sitting in a kitchen drawer. Oh, and by the way when I got the 13 XKR it connected immediately using the same procedure. Why not give it a shot?

Old 05-31-2016, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
I had a similar problem with 12 XK vert. I called the people who installed the opener the owner of the installation company came out and got it working in about 5 minutes. How? you ask, he took the remote opener supplied by the manufacturer and held button 1 on the Homelink and waved the remote around the homelink's right side, within about 5-6" (looking at the windshield) and it connected immediately. Now I have two remotes sitting in a kitchen drawer. Oh, and by the way when I got the 13 XKR it connected immediately using the same procedure. Why not give it a shot?
It will work with some but not others. What was the mfg and year of the opener. It worked with my 16 year old Liftmaster but so far it won't work with my 2016 Chamberline/Liftmaster unit. I'll try when I have time and will see if it works. By the way your procedure above was one of the many ways I tried to pair it but no go.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I just replaced with the same opener. I am not going to enable the wife/app portion. Neither the Lotus or Volvo have built-in openers, so I can't help you on that one much. Their customer service is pretty good, so maybe you can call them from within your car?

Old 05-31-2016, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

My opener is not a Chamberlain. My opener is a Marantec. The installer's website is LA Overhead Garage Doors Hope this helps

Old 05-31-2016, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
My opener is not a Chamberlain. My opener is a Marantec. The installer's website is LA Overhead Garage Doors Hope this helps
Thanks but different brand so it won't help.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:13 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
OK so I just had my garage door opener replaced today. I was having to many ghost openings on my 16 year old one so I decided to step up and replace it. I got a Chamberlain 8550W belt drive opener with this MyQ Wifi feature. It replaced my old Liftmaster which is the same company. So now I have to go through the trick of pairing it with the Jag. I assumed it would be easy but I recall having problems doing this before. I went through the search function and read a few of the methods as well as the Homelink video. I gave up today and will try again tomorrow. And just to add to the issue I can't get the wifi/smart phone app to work either. The good news was the 2010 Lexus took me less then 15 seconds to pair. I am making a big assumption that because the earlier model worked that this one will work too. If anyone has this model and got it working I would like to know how you did it but I'll try all of the methods that I found on the search function .
I had to get a Liftmaster 855LM HomeLink Repeater Kit for my new Chamberlain opener.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Box
I had to get a Liftmaster 855LM HomeLink Repeater Kit for my new Chamberlain opener.
Just an update here . I too got the repeater and it took me less then a minute to sync it up. It works like it should work. To bad either Jaguar didn't update their SW or Liftmaster couldn't change their system to work with downlevel SW. Also I had to get on a telcon to resolve the issue of my opener not linking up to my cell phone. Took a half hour to get it going and now all works as it should.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:19 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

As I mentioned, I had to get the repeater, too, for my 2010XK. The systems (old vs new) work differently and are not backward compatible, I was told. Indeed, I needed the repeater for my 2005 Buick, but the wife's 2013 SRX mated immediately.

In any event, I always appreciate final updates and solutions. Thank you.

~Wrair

Old 07-22-2016, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Box
Originally Posted by jagtoes
Just an update here . I too got the repeater and it took me less then a minute to sync it up. It works like it should work. To bad either Jaguar didn't update their SW or Liftmaster couldn't change their system to work with downlevel SW. Also I had to get on a telcon to resolve the issue of my opener not linking up to my cell phone. Took a half hour to get it going and now all works as it should.
Had to throw up a new garage door opener and like these guys had to use the Homelink repeater (bridge). Chamberlain mentioned it in the instructions that some vehicles may require the repeater.

Like Jagtoes says, it took all of seconds to program my car to the repeater and then "learn" the repeater with my opener.

Anyone installing a new garage door opener may see this issue, my car would not learn the opener remote. I bought the cheapest opener at Lowes, the LW2200. Previously I had a LW2000 which worked fine with my Homelink, with this newer Chamberlain none of the old Security+ remotes will work including the hardwire switch.

kj07xk (07-22-2016)
Old 10-19-2018, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chamberlain B970 sync to 2013 XJ & 2014 F-Type

Had my new Chamberlain B970 installed last week. Works great. Now sync the HomLink in my cars to the door opener. 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, no problem, works like a charm. I spent the next week trying to get my 2013 Jag XJ and my 2014 Jag F-Type to sync....impossible. I called Chamberlain and went on their website and no bridge required for either car. Called Homelink and same thing, but i still couldn't get it to work. Finally I called Chamberlain again and support finally said that Jaguar used older tech in their Homelink and maybe I should try the bridge. I ordered it from Amazon. It arrived next day. Easy to install and program. Within 20 minutes I had both cars working.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,133 Likes on 3,380 Posts

What's wrong with this picture? You buy a "new and improved" garage door opener and then have to pay more to buy an adapter that uses the old technology to get the new opener to work. Progress is adding insult to injury.

MarkyUK (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Jag XJ 2013 & Jag F-Type 2014

Forget what Chamberlain or HomeLink tells you, YOU NEED TO GET THE REPEATER.($26 on Amazon Prime.) I finally did and 10 minutes I got both cars synced. Good luck.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Dunno man. I bought a new Chamberlain opener and used the supplied remote to program my car's Homelink like the XKR manual states. THEN I programmed the opener to my freshly programmed car and Bob's your uncle. No other fancy doodads required.

Quick Reply: Here I go again with a new garage