Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Hold on to your hats as E15 is coming (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/hold-your-hats-e15-coming-215037/)

jagtoes 03-14-2019 05:29 PM

Hold on to your hats as E15 is coming

Just saw an article today saying the US EPA wants to go to 15% ethanol by memorial day. So how does this work in the 5.0 engines. I assume the timing range isn't an issue but other then performance/mileage is there a downside. here.

AJ16er 03-14-2019 05:43 PM

Great, like E10 didn't destroy enough rubber filler hoses in my Ford.

Cee Jay 03-14-2019 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by AJ16er (Post 2039868)
Great, like E10 didn't destroy enough rubber filler hoses in my Ford.

..... and all my lawn and garden equipment...

SinF 03-15-2019 11:54 AM

Lobbyist win again. :(

Ngarara 03-17-2019 03:40 PM

Owner's Manual for the 5.0 says:

This vehicle is not suitable for use with fuels containing more than 10% Ethanol.

Do not use E85 fuels (85% Ethanol content). Equipment necessary for the use of fuels containing more than 10% Ethanol is not fitted to this vehicle. If E85 fuels are used, serious engine and fuel system damage will occur.

Fuels containing up to 10% Ethanol (grain alcohol) may be used. Ensure that the fuel has octane ratings no lower than those recommended for unleaded fuel. Most drivers will not notice any operating difference with fuel containing Ethanol. If a difference is detected, the use of conventional unleaded fuel should be resumed.
I'm not sure about E15 - obviously it's more than E10, but nowhere near E85. Would. it be OK, or not? I guess we'd need a ruling from Jaguar.

AJ16er 03-17-2019 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ngarara (Post 2041212)
Owner's Manual for the 5.0 says:

I'm not sure about E15 - obviously it's more than E10, but nowhere near E85. Would. it be OK, or not? I guess we'd need a ruling from Jaguar.

Some gasoline stations sell ethanol free premium gas, I'd buy that if you can find such a station by you. I am assuming you have to run premium anyways. There is not one advantage to running E10, much less E15, that I can think of.

jackra_1 03-17-2019 04:56 PM

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvis...nol-Fuel-Myths

Extracted from the above:

E10 only, not E15, for your boat!

We still don’t know how and when E15 will be offered for sale, or if it will ever be sold in your local marina. We do know that you don’t want it in your marine engine, as the experts are unanimous on the subject. According to Mercury Marine: “Fuel containing higher proportions of ethanol is not compatible with many fuel system and engine components and, if mistakenly used, will cause irreversible damage to these components that will lead to engine failure and potential safety risks.” At this time, we can only warn you about the possibility of confusion and the risk of accidentally filling your boat’s gas tank with E15.

Ngarara 03-18-2019 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by AJ16er (Post 2041235)
Some gasoline stations sell ethanol free premium gas, I'd buy that if you can find such a station by you. I am assuming you have to run premium anyways. There is not one advantage to running E10, much less E15, that I can think of.

Actually, I normally use 95 RON (same as 91 octane in the US), which may contain up to 10% ethanol - there's no requirement to specify any ethanol content below 10%. I can buy premium 98 RON (US 94) if I want, or even 100 RON in some places, but I don't bother unless I'm planning to push the car hard. For everyday driving, I have found zero difference. The only benefit of ethanol is that it slightly reduces my carbon bootprint; as I can do that while saving money and not impacting the car's performance, it doesn't bother me.

Mikey 06-12-2019 02:15 PM

Why do people confuse ethanol rating with octane rating? They have nothing to do with each other

jackra_1 06-12-2019 03:11 PM

Pure Ethanol has a high octane rating of something like 109 Ron.

So adding Ethanol to petrol does actually increase its octane rating and potentially allows for higher compression ratios and thus more efficiency.

However if an engine has a low compression ratio adding in a high octane fuel does nothing to increase performance.

ALSO:

Methanol and ethanol fuels contain soluble and insoluble contaminants.[5]Halide ions, which are soluble contaminants, such as chloride ions, have a large effect on the corrosivity of alcohol fuels. Halide ions increase corrosion in two ways: they chemically attack passivating oxide films on several metals causing pitting corrosion, and they increase the conductivity of the fuel. Increased electrical conductivity promotes electrical, galvanic and ordinary corrosion in the fuel system. Soluble contaminants such as aluminum hydroxide, itself a product of corrosion by halide ions, clogs the fuel system over time.

kj07xk 06-12-2019 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ngarara (Post 2041212)
I guess we'd need a ruling from Jaguar.

New ruling: Buy a new car.

E15 is a win for both the corn growers, and the car makers (and their dealers). Current car owners... you lose. :icon_bricks: