XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

How can anybody afford an XKR out of warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 01:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

Some tough responses here. Don't worry about that.
I've had a similar history. And have done, thankfully, amazingly well with my warranty. Far more than you've got there.
Having said that... the car runs GREAT. Still have a stinky A/C issue which leads me to believe that the dealer didn't' REALLY do the right thing on the duckbill issue. But other than that, it's a joy to drive.
Thanks to reading (and learning from) this forum, I went ahead and checked my VIN. Mine was one of the very first of the "new" 2010's to be sold in the US. Maybe yours too? Lots of gremlins that seemed to have been sorted out within a year.
Here's the funny thing: other than the aforementioned A/C, I love where the car's at right now. Maybe you should hang in there?
AND CHANGE THE OIL FREQUENTLY WITH 0W-20.
AND DO THE FUEL LINE CARBON-CLEAN RECOMMENDED.
AND CHANGE THE ZF TRANSMISSION FLUID.
Keep it!

Old 11-14-2018, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

Looking at your list, my overlap:

Control arms (I get the sense that they're a package deal with the bushings, which are fluid filled. ALL of my bushings have been replaced, and I think that's an age issue).
Supercharger: my entire supercharger was rebuilt, which had to do with the bearing.
Motor mounts: again, seemed to me it was age as much as mileage/wear.
Other items (from memory): both rear taillights (foglights didn't work), one injector, one coil, wheel bearing, and the entire e-differential. I'm sure there are more, but I can't remember that this point. I'm good with a wrench, but honestly there are few of these that I'd have taken on on my own.
Now, I'd tell someone to stick with 2012-2015.
But I do love my car.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:31 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Adaptive headlights move with the steering. The gear gets jammed or worn or some other gremlin. Common issue.
Ranchero is the expert on this.
At 10k mls my 2011 XK’s left adaptive headlight has started to play up and I am now getting the blinking warning lamp approx. every other week or more, with the left headlight pointing down.

Would be extremely interested in advice on how to work DIY on this issue to fix it. Remove headlight and bake it in order to open it. What then? Any tips appreciated!!

br
ter

Old 11-14-2018, 12:10 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the tips!

Old 11-14-2018, 01:52 PM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
Mine was one of the more abused cars on the road and it's cost less than $1k to get it on the road. Being willing to shop around for parts and do the work yourself is the answer, or at least be knowledgeable enough to figure out what's wrong before letting someone else do the work. Dealer you are paying @ 2x the cost for parts, labor about 50% more. Add in England's overly nanny state MOT inspection and you are changing stuff that really doesn't need it. Bushings cracked in the control arms just means they need checked more frequently, about every tire change (less often than the MOT) but the MOT requires them to be changed for a crappy seal design. You Euro folks should have went after Jag for poor design and quality issues with those seals.
Road deaths per 100k people USA 10.6
Road deaths per 100k people UK 2.9
European drivers typically drive much faster than US drivers yet there many times less road deaths. Why. Are they better drivers? probably, but a lot is down to the simple fact that the vehicles on the roads there are maintained to a higher standard. I have never seen a brake balance test be conducted here during inspection, never seen ball joints checked. Never seen headlamp aim checked etc,etc, etc. Most states inspection might include a check to see if it has a cat and the lights work and the tires meet a minimum standards and you pass for another year. The auto safety standards here are third world at best.

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Most US road deaths are caused by people not paying attention, not mechanical failures. Just saying...

Watch some of "idiots on wheels" Youtube channel. Obviously the Russians have some mechanical challenges.

The following 3 users liked this post by Ranchero50:
Cee Jay (11-14-2018), envincibal (11-15-2018), ralphwg (11-14-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 04:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
Most US road deaths are caused by people not paying attention,
Due to lack of education. Its easier to get a pilot's license in US than it is to get a driver's license in UK.
Not many know that we only pass 43% of the people who think they are competent enough to drive.
Driving is taken as a very serious privilege to grant.

Russian's have alcohol challenges

tell us about the best way to go about to prevent adaptive headlights from failing- or a fix. I dont let mine run on automatic, so the gears dont engage needlessly when the car starts in a dark garage only to go off 10 seconds later. (am I wrong)

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
NBCat (11-15-2018), Ranchero50 (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 10:09 AM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

When I applied for my driving licence in England back in the 1960s, it took two attempts to pass the test.

I failed the first time for not downshifting into second gear going around a corner and for not immediately looking in the rear view mirror whilst changing lanes.

If one showed up for the driving test in a car with an automatic gearbox and successfully passed, they were given a licence to only drive cars with auto boxes.

MoT is strict and rightly so as there are no unsafe vehicles on the road as there are in so many other countries, including the U.S..

Queen and Country (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
... Still have a stinky A/C issue which leads me to believe that the dealer didn't' REALLY do the right thing on the duckbill ...
The stinky smell is from mold accumulated in the ductwork, which your dealer probably didn't address. You can try this easy and inexpensive DIY fix. If it doesn't work the first time, you need to do it again until the smell is gone.

Buy a can of Lysol disinfectant spray. Start your engine, set your climate control on manual with outside air and the fan speed on high. Open the hood and spray the Lysol into the vents at the base of the windshield. Go back inside the car and vary the airflow through all of the ducts, one at a time - face, feet, defrost, etc., while you repeat the Lysol spray for each duct setting.

Let us know how this worked for you.

Good luck!

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
guy (11-17-2018), ralphwg (11-16-2018), Ranchero50 (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
The stinky smell is from mold accumulated in the ductwork, which your dealer probably didn't address. You can try this easy and inexpensive DIY fix. If it doesn't work the first time, you need to do it again until the smell is gone.

Buy a can of Lysol disinfectant spray. Start your engine, set your climate control on manual with outside air and the fan speed on high. Open the hood and spray the Lysol into the vents at the base of the windshield. Go back inside the car and vary the airflow through all of the ducts, one at a time - face, feet, defrost, etc., while you repeat the Lysol spray for each duct setting.

Let us know how this worked for you.

Good luck!
I get a quick whiff of musty air on first startup, never thought about stuff growing in the duct work.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Maybe the cabin filter is also mucky? Plus, more Lysol would get through if the cabin filter was removed before the above process.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Dunno, think I'd prefer the smell of mold over that of Lysol. That crap really stinks.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

The climate control will immediately startup when the car is switched on. So this tells me that your vent system is filled with what is causing the smell. So turn on the heat on full blast for a few nights, and dry out the mold, but Id give it a few shots of lysol. Also remove the cabin filter and spray some in there. Been there with mine, and a good thing to do is, shut off the AC compressor a block or two before you arrive to your destination. This dries some of the moisture. And once in a while, close all of your vents and run the heat on high

Old 11-16-2018, 01:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

It is quite a common problem on the Japanese imports to New Zealand because they have sat all closed up on a boat for number of weeks on their way here.

My XKR smelt quite bad when I got it but I used a can of this:

https://www.valvoline.com/en-austral...our-eliminator

It smells of peppermint and seems to have done the job.

I also leave my drivers door window open over the summer while the car is parked in the garage and that seems to help stop the problem reoccurring.

guy (11-17-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Wink

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Due to lack of education. Its easier to get a pilot's license in US than it is to get a driver's license in UK.
Not many know that we only pass 43% of the people who think they are competent enough to drive.
Driving is taken as a very serious privilege to grant.

Russian's have alcohol challenges

tell us about the best way to go about to prevent adaptive headlights from failing- or a fix. I dont let mine run on automatic, so the gears dont engage needlessly when the car starts in a dark garage only to go off 10 seconds later. (am I wrong)
I think this guy could be eligible for a combo license, road and flight...
Name:  nYJKOQx.gif
Views: 15
Size:  3.83 MB

Old 11-16-2018, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Wow, whatever country that is in should get an award for excellence in design.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

He gets a solid 8 out of 10 because he stuck the landing.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Yeah he can do better next time, as his car is lighter now that he lost his rear bumper.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Yeah he can do better next time, as his car is lighter now that he lost his rear bumper.
He was dead center in the puddle though.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:21 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Not really my experience... As with non-dealers, any dealer I have visited is very receptive to my negotiating (or lack there of) skills. Moreover, I am very satisfied with my local dealer on a few fronts:
1. If the repair goes sideways, its covered.
2. I am assured the mechanic (and his support) know what they are doing
3. If I need immediate assistance, they will take me even when they are overbooked.

Emphasis on #2!

I've been a happy jaguar customer for going on to 18 years/

Originally Posted by SinF
Most people won't be servicing it at the dealer. You can probably cut cost by half that way.

Quick Reply: How can anybody afford an XKR out of warranty?