XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to convince Dad to get a new XK Convertible instead of a Tesla or BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 05:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to convince Dad to get a new XK Convertible instead of a Tesla or BMW?

We went to a dealership today aND he seems to like them, but he said there's no way he's getting one. He'd rather get some boring sedan instead. Not even an XJ even though everybody else wants him to get a Jaguar. What do you think would work? He has a mild interest in it, and he has the money, and he needs a new car, but he wants to get a sedan. So what do you guys think?

Old 01-17-2015, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

I think the man is old enough/been around enough and has the ability to spend his money as he sees fit.
Seems like it is you that likes a Jaguar. Jaguars are not every ones cup to tea or they would be a best seller.

Sorry if MY thoughts are not what you were hoping for.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:27 PM

No its fine, but he's not that old. And I think if I tell him that he's had enough sedans he's hated, so he should take the convertible 2 door route. But I see what you mean. Really, thanks.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarFanHoops
No its fine, but he's not that old. And I think if I tell him that he's had enough sedans he's hated, so he should take the convertible 2 door route. But I see what you mean. Really, thanks.
You only live once so if you want a toy then go for it. All you need is to have a close friend or yourself to get a death calling disease and it will change your outlook. Tell him to get what he wants and enjoy it.

The following users liked this post:
himble12345 (02-10-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 07:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drive one
2009 model new ones are top self, active suspension great for rod ca r

Cee Jay (01-21-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

The XK looks better than the BMW to many folks ... if he fits in this category its a start. Next, drive both and usually a half hour in a car will do for the clincher, and you hope its the XK.

Telsa? Just look up the repair issues with the power train and I expect he would walk away from one.
Lawrence.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mulmur
The XK looks better than the BMW to many folks ... if he fits in this category its a start. Next, drive both and usually a half hour in a car will do for the clincher, and you hope its the XK.

Telsa? Just look up the repair issues with the power train and I expect he would walk away from one.
Lawrence.
This is certainly my favorite response. I'm gonna try and get him to test drive the XKR instead. The specifics:
2011 XKR Convertible with 6,000 miles for sale for $54,000. It has satellite radio, navigation, heated seats, and a ton of other options. It's in lunar gray and it's black on the interior with a black soft top.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

He has to drive them and decide. If he likes the others after an honest drive; so be it.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:46 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Always remember "The Golden Rule"... the one with the gold makes the rules. Unless you are the one financially supporting your dad what I'm hearing that that YOU want your dad to act a certain way and you're not getting your way. Is your dad not allowed to do as he pleases with his money?

A BMW - there are no BMW's, aside for the Z8 that is remotely like the XK so how do you compare the two cars?

Tesla - the previous poster is ridiculous is his attempt to disuade you with unsubstituted rumors. So ridiculous it is not even worth addressing. Again, Tesla is in a totally different class used for completely different uses so there's to way to compare the two cars.

So you asked "What do I think?" I think you are selfishly meddling into affairs that you have no business judging your father for. His money, his decision. If he wanted your input he'd ask for it the very same that you ought to be able to spend money you've "earned" not been given by him. IF you are truly independent and not relaying on him financially then you should not be subject to his judgment or criticizing you regarding what you want or how to spend your money. You would resent his meddling if/when you've earned your own money. Grow up, worry about your decisions.

You asked, there you have it.

ralphwg (01-19-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 05:58 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Frankly - I love this debate with my own (two) sons.

And while I do not recall any specific incident(s) with my dad regarding prospective car options - I bet (he's gone 10 years now) he would have loved it also. He raised "a car guy" with his passion and owned a unique set of "cool rides". Everything from a '53 MG to Thunderbirds, Mustangs, Jaguars, Rolls-Royce and a bunch of Cadillacs. My favorite was a Jensen Interceptor III. I didn't get a vote on any of them - but I loved them all - from mostly the passenger seat. I did get to take the Interceptor to Prom (not too many kids in So Cal can claim that one).

Anyway.... Boys and Dads debating car purchase decisions are a great thing. Jay Leno has some great tales on that.

Enjoy the debate. Your Dad will remember it someday with fondness - I am sure. But it's his decision - of course.

Importantly.... Welcome to the passion for cars..... And pass it on to your kids.

FYI my son made a career of it (and I truly believe my Dad is still smiling over that one!) as he is now in Marketing with Hyundai!

Last edited by Ceckman; 01-21-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,153 Likes on 3,086 Posts

I don't think it's so much a two-door vs four-door debate, but more of a two-SEAT vs FOUR-seat deal. No, the XKR's "back seats" don't count as seats. Not in anyone's version of Seat. Ever.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:49 PM
Default The Result

Well, we ended up with a 2015 XF, and I'd say I'm very satisfied with the car, and I feel like it's better than the XK would have been for Dad's specific situation. It's in a beautiful British Racing Green over London Tan/Black, and it's actually affordable for us, so we absolutely adore the car, and thank you all for your wonderful answers. I appreciate the help, as without it, he probably would have gone with the BMW.

CleverName (05-09-2015)
Old 05-09-2015, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

An outstanding choice!

Welcome to the family!

Old 05-09-2015, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarFanHoops
... and I'd say I'm very satisfied with the car, and I feel like it's better ....
... sounds like Dad caved more than anything else.

Wouldn't have happened with my Dad in a million years.

He came home with what he liked and brought no one
shopping with him.

He made the money, and it was his to spend as he wished.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:32 AM
Default I don't think so

Originally Posted by plums
... sounds like Dad caved more than anything else.

Wouldn't have happened with my Dad in a million years.

He came home with what he liked and brought no one
shopping with him.

He made the money, and it was his to spend as he wished.
I helped him research cars because I really know my stuff.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:48 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I like the color combo chosen. BRG is only available on certain years for the XK and in relatively low quantity and I couldn't locate one at a good price for 4+ months. We got the London/Black interior we wanted but compromised on the exterior color. One disadvantage of buying used.

What model/trim XF did your father get?

Old 05-12-2015, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Slee_Stack
I like the color combo chosen. BRG is only available on certain years for the XK and in relatively low quantity and I couldn't locate one at a good price for 4+ months. We got the London/Black interior we wanted but compromised on the exterior color. One disadvantage of buying used.

What model/trim XF did your father get?
The 3.0 portfolio AWD.