XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

How do you enjoy your XK without needing to speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Tires.

My average speed over the past 4000 miles is 43 mph as a commuter car. Cruise is 85-90 mph to work, butter smooth. Breathe on the pedal and she downshifts to go.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:03 AM
Received 247 Likes on 175 Posts

Got a ticket last week. 45 in a 30.

Got another about a month back, 54 in a 40. He changed it to a seatbelt violation, which is a non moving infraction.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

At the very least, have them "Road Force Balanced". It made a diff for me.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

I haven't gotten a Speeding Ticket for..... almost twenty years now. I've been STOPPED probably six times, but never cited for anything.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I haven't gotten a Speeding Ticket for..... almost twenty years now. I've been STOPPED probably six times, but never cited for anything.
I probably have always averaged 1-3 tickets per year. Usually stupid things like the 45 in a 30 type stuff. They rarely let me go. The seatbelt infraction is about the most kindness they ever show me.

I took a personality test once in a management class I was taking. The teacher pulled mine from the stack, and asked if I had a red car. I said yes (which is funny, because I really don't love red cars, but I had one then, and have one now). He then asked if I got a lot of speeding tickets. I said yes. After that, I resigned myself that getting tickets was just part of my personality.

With the Jag it is easy to be going faster than you think you are going if you are not paying attention.

Last edited by 110reef; 12-05-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Hey, if I'm not in the Front of the Pack, I make sure I get there. Course once I AM there, the pack way in FRONT of me is fair game. Once I catch it, I must me in the front of THAT one.
Yes, I'm usually the one who passes every car on the interstate. Very rarely do I have to move right to let faster cars pass me. I don't know, I guess I'm just lucky that I haven't been snagged in so long.
I USED to get at least one a year. Course, back then I did have a bright red Mustang GT. Of course during that time I ALSO drove a gold Thunderbird (which I modded to be faster than the Mustang) and I still got tickets while driving that one. I even had to take a Defensive Driver Course once as condition to not losing my license.
Ah, the Good Ole Days...

Old 12-05-2017, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Hey, if I'm not in the Front of the Pack, I make sure I get there. Course once I AM there, the pack way in FRONT of me is fair game. Once I catch it, I must me in the front of THAT one.
Yes, I'm usually the one who passes every car on the interstate. Very rarely do I have to move right to let faster cars pass me. I don't know, I guess I'm just lucky that I haven't been snagged in so long.
I USED to get at least one a year. Course, back then I did have a bright red Mustang GT. Of course during that time I ALSO drove a gold Thunderbird (which I modded to be faster than the Mustang) and I still got tickets while driving that one. I even had to take a Defensive Driver Course once as condition to not losing my license.
Ah, the Good Ole Days...

Yeah, that is pretty much how I drive. I don't drive fast per se, but usually a little faster than the cars around me. I don't think I drive unsafely, but I do want to get where I am going.

When I moved to NY State many years ago, I got 3 tickets in the first 3 months I was there, and was very close to losing my license. So I slowed down and was extremely careful to follow all speed limits. My wife told me I was driving like an old man. So one day I was in the car with my family, and I got pulled over. I was so frustrated, I had no idea why I was pulled over, but I was trying so hard to follow the speed limits. The officer told me I had a headlight out. I got out, hit the headlight and it came on. So I said, "There, its fixed!". He let me go.

Last edited by 110reef; 12-05-2017 at 11:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by 110reef
With the Jag it is easy to be going faster than you think you are going if you are not paying attention.
This. ^
When I merge onto one of the toll roads here that is usually pretty empty in the early AM, I look down at the speedo assuming I'm approaching the 70mph speed limit and it usually says 90. And I don't even have an XKR! Smooth and effortless.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Believe it or not, no tickets for six years, but, last Sunday at 8am. I was up to 102 upon entering the notorious 405 at Sunset. Hit the brakes quickly and cruised at 75 until I got off at a couple of exits down the road.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:48 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I haven't figured that out yet. I'll let you know when/if I do.

The following 2 users liked this post by Schmitty63:
buddhaboy (12-06-2017), Sean W (12-08-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Brings up a good point...."What have you been stopped for in your "XK-R"
I'll go first. not having a front tag...hence my post on the folding front tag a couple years ago? My, how time flies!

Old 12-06-2017, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I got my last ticket in 1964 of only 3 in my life for 4 in the front seat of my 63 Corvette. Cost me $10.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

After the X-Type, I had a 2-cyl Fiat 500 for two years. I don't think I ever accidentally exceeded the speed limit with that car; too much wind and tire and engine noise not to notice an increase in speed.

After that, I had an Abarth 595 Turismo for 3 months. Being a small car with relatively short gearing and angry engine & exhaust notes, it felt tremendously fast. The characteristics of a turbocharged engine also helped with that; it felt like it accelerated much, much faster than the XK until upper RPMs, even though it obviously didn't. The firm suspension and bucket-y seats, combined with non-scary front-wheel drive, meant I could (and would) take corners at what felt like stupid speeds. Now, I've used to word "felt" quite a few times, as I still rarely went much over the speed limit.

It was good fun, but it really was a car that had to be driven aggressively all the time, with the gearbox in manual mode and shifting with the paddles. Otherwise it was just a noisy, uncomfortable small car with an extremely jerky automatic gearbox. As such, I started noticing my palms would get sweaty every time I drove it, and in the end decided to switch to a more relaxed car; the XK.

Now I just enjoy the comfort. I exceed 3000 rpm very rarely.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I got my last ticket in 1964 of only 3 in my life for 4 in the front seat of my 63 Corvette. Cost me $10.
Hmmm 1964... 4th grade, no tickets yet, but I was satisfying my ‘need for speed’ by riding my Radio Flyer downhill.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I think the XKR is a car that needs to be driven aggressively in order for it to be fun.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

I was stopped for "Spirited Lane Change" by a cop going the other way on a four-lane (2-EACH) city road marked 45mph. The old lady in front of me was going no more than 30 when I FINALLY had a chance to get past cuz traffic. Of course I made a mini-production out of it, and that cop just happened to be there.
No ticket, but he did say I 'scared' him. Yeah, right.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Hmmm 1964... 4th grade, no tickets yet, but I was satisfying my ‘need for speed’ by riding my Radio Flyer downhill.
2nd grade here and riding a saucer downhill in snow perilously through the woods. (Think National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation)

Seriously, there is no point in obeying all the rules. Kitty wants to run. It's your God given right to help her.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRider48
Brings up a good point...."What have you been stopped for in your "XK-R!
So far mostly to be told how good it looks by white country girls. The brothers dig it too, followed by the motor heads. Never noticed by the man bun hipsters or cell phone drones. The car creates a weird dynamic in the social spectrum for sure. I don't know if it's because mine's a little beat up and is more of an everyone's car vs. the nicer examples or what?

Old 12-06-2017, 08:36 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
In my youthful years I drove my fast cars to their max, doing banzai races over canyon roads as well as road-racing on the tracks. When I got to be mid 50s I quit track racing due to the typical signs of slowing brain activities that made race driving a risky proposition. (Yeah, too many major accidents observed where the older drivers "did not see other cars around them".

Still, have not lost my "need for speed" thus, continued with the ownership of high performance cars. Living in a very low density county,hilly environment letting the car fly on those deserted winding roads were/still possible. What has truly and dramatically slowed my driving routine is the very visible and very large numbers of wildlife hit by other cars. Living where I live, it seems, it is only a matter of time before one encounters an animal to vehicle accident. They simply and blindly charge out of the forests, making the accidents entirely unavoidable. The only caution one may consider is; if I hit a deer do I hit it at slower speeds or at, say 140 MPH, a speed I often touched on those roads. Needless to say, hitting a deer at high speed in a car with a low hood would likely result in the body coming through the windshield.

Thus, my driving have been greatly moderated. That however has not stopped me from just purchasing a set of the new "extreme performance" tires, the Bridgestone RE-71s, reputed to be providing near-slick racing tire performances. When my wife asked why I needed such tires over my regular "ultra high performance" tires I really did not have a logical answer. Just because...
Funny... this is exactly how I ended up with an XKR... 3 mos and 11 days ago I took my almost new Triumph Trophy Sport Touring motorcycle out for an evening jaunt just before sunset on the country roads in upstate NY when, at about 40-50 mph in what seemed like a flashing streak, a deer decided to bound full sprint and mid-leap out of the brush, straight into the front left side of my cycle... I broke 8 bone, had internal lacerations to my spleen and vicinity, and a minor collapsed lung from being punctured by broken ribs... after 5 days in the hospital, a few months of recovery (still on PT) and the bike being totaled, my wife decided that our weekend country rides should be on 4 wheels in a convertible instead of 2 wheels (luckily she wasn't with me at the time). I went with the XKR because it has small seats that my 2 young boys 5&7 can squeeze into and enjoy the convertible experience, too - picked up an '09 Portfolio with 60K a few weeks ago - but then put it straight into winter storage... needless to say the end of March can't get here soon enough!

I'm sure I'll want to test the limits of the car now and then, but from the few times I got to drive it before it went into storage, I was surprised at how it really does have a GT feel to it and lends itself nicely to laid back cruising (with a punch on the throttle here and there for fun, or a covert quick double-yellow-line pass of those people who don't even go the speed limit!)

Old 12-08-2017, 07:07 AM
Received 98 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Rallys

Since it seems there always a cop lurking around the corner or ramp as I'm about to get on it, I've just decided to take it easy. However, I do enjoy using the car on the NY Metro Porsche Club rallys that are sprinkled throughout the year. My wife enjoys driving and I navigate. Its always a nice drive on back roads where we finish up in the Hamptons or local wineries and yacht clubs.

Attached Thumbnails How do you enjoy your XK without needing to speed-imag01028.jpg  

Last edited by Marco75; 12-08-2017 at 06:38 PM.